Summoned!

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By redfishbluefish
  • 1 Post By ~AmazedByYou~
  • 1 Post By nameetog
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2013, 03:30 PM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got summoned for jury duty on March 11. Aw man! I realize I am pregnant, not disabled, but still this is a bummer. Normally I wouldn't mind. I've had it before, but haven't served on a jury. Last year I was summoned to federal court, and I was very nervous about making the drive to where I needed to go, especially in winter. Plus I was working nightshift because I did not have childcare during the day (Brooklyn was in half day kindergarten). I wrote a letter & fortunately was excused.

Have you ever had jury duty? Were you pregnant? lol

February 6th, 2013, 03:36 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never had to serve. I've gotten questionnaires several times, including a couple of months ago, but haven't had to go.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

February 6th, 2013, 03:39 PM
lucyinthesky
That sucks! I might have to give evidence in court sometime mid-March. If I have to, then I have to. But I really do not want to! Ahh
February 6th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Veteran
I did just duty 30 something weeks pregnant with my first son. My reasoning was that I wanted to get it out of the way before I was a SAHM and had no child care. I spent the day but didn't get on a jury. Once I had 'served' I couldn't be called back for X number of years so that was preferable to me instead of deferring it for a few months or a year or something.
jen747 likes this.

February 6th, 2013, 03:56 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
I had jury duty, I went, not only was I chosen and empaneled... after two weeks of listening to the crap (woman stole her bff's credit card and used it all over the place) I got chosen as an alternate and couldn't even vote. It was in the middle of the summer and they postponed two days because the a/c in the courthouse wasn't working.
HalfDozen likes this.

February 6th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been excused for the past few times. It was an extended trial and I teach, so they allowed it to be an excused situation. I actually don't mind going, but just got lucky.
February 6th, 2013, 04:15 PM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Even if I was summoned I would have to be 100% honest with them and tell them that if I was picked I couldn't promise that I would be able to even pay attention that well. My memory blows and I feel like I need to pass out to sleep every few hours. If they were cool with me falling asleep during testimony then they can choose me all they want.
February 6th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been called and had to go in but never been chosen or the case has settled prior.
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

February 6th, 2013, 04:57 PM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishbluefish View Post
I did just duty 30 something weeks pregnant with my first son. My reasoning was that I wanted to get it out of the way before I was a SAHM and had no child care. I spent the day but didn't get on a jury. Once I had 'served' I couldn't be called back for X number of years so that was preferable to me instead of deferring it for a few months or a year or something.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Better to do it now (and hope they send my pregnant self out the door) than chance getting called next year. I seem to get called frequently (this is probably my fourth time, but I've gotten dismissed the day before when they didn't need anybody), so that would be my luck. I think they'll defer you a year if you're breastfeeding, but I'd rather get it out of the way than deal with that hassle.

February 6th, 2013, 05:44 PM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never been called or anything. I don't know how it would go lol. I can't make a big decision to save my life lol. My luck it would be some huge drawn out, every one and their brother knows about it kind of deal and I'd be the one who had to break the tie. :/

February 6th, 2013, 06:40 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I was summoned, and selected, while pregnant with my 3rd. It was a week-long trial (hate crime). Like Amazed, I sat through the whole freaking thing and then was the alternate. I was so ticked off!! I'm pretty sure they purposely chose me as the alternate because I was pregnant and weren't sure if I would be there, even though I was only like 6-7 months along.

I actually enjoyed jury duty as it was a great learning process, and I think everyone should have to serve on a jury at least once. I was more upset not to have any say in the outcome after I sat there and listened and took notes every day.
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

February 6th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was called when I was nursing my daughter and I was seriously stressed out about it because I couldn't pump for various reasons. I had no childcare so my husband had to take a vacation day off from work and I became more and more engorged as the day went on. I think I could postpone it for 3 months or something but I didn't see how things would be any better then so I got it over with. Luckily I didn't get picked so I got to go home around lunch time. I would much rather serve on a jury while pregnant than nursing.
February 7th, 2013, 03:51 AM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
I've never been called for jury duty. But right now it sounds kind of nice. It would be easier then work to be able to sit rather then be on my feet all day and it could be an interesting experience. But I wouldn't want to be on a murder trial or anything super serious. Too much stress.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search