~*March Chit Chat*~

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree109Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 13th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrochetingMama View Post

A question that I have now that I just didn't think of was this: When I asked him if we still had to do the ultrasound, he said yes. He then said he wanted to check my amniotic fluid levels. Last time he said he just wanted to check baby's size, heart, and position. He didn't mention anything about AFI. Is it normal to get that checked as you get further to the end??
I have had u/s for the last few weeks to check amniotic fluid along with baby size and position. In my case I was told they do this with AMA patients. My fluid was actually slightly down on Monday.

March 13th, 2013, 10:46 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know about it being "normal" to check...I never had it done last time. But honestly, of all the reasons/things to check for, that would be one thing that makes sense to check for. Low fluid levels scare me, and it IS something that can be determined by u/s. As we've discussed...determining size at this point via u/s is not really reliable. But if there were any reason to think that there might be low fluid levels, I'd have it checked for peace of mind. My FH has been measuring behind for the past few visits, and they're doing a scan next week, and again, I'm more concerned about fluid levels than baby's size.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 13th, 2013, 12:22 PM
And by the way...how is is it nearly half-way through March already?

Oh...we got the carseat yesterday! One step closer to being ready. Grace got pretty excited about it, and said (about the new baby), "She's going to sit by me!"

March 13th, 2013, 12:25 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiSpice View Post
I don't know about it being "normal" to check...I never had it done last time. But honestly, of all the reasons/things to check for, that would be one thing that makes sense to check for. Low fluid levels scare me, and it IS something that can be determined by u/s. As we've discussed...determining size at this point via u/s is not really reliable. But if there were any reason to think that there might be low fluid levels, I'd have it checked for peace of mind. My FH has been measuring behind for the past few visits, and they're doing a scan next week, and again, I'm more concerned about fluid levels than baby's size.

Yeah. I would have argued with him if he'd tried to do it based on size alone at this point, but he brought up the fluid levels thing before I even had a chance to say anything really.

It *really* makes me nervous because I'm chronically dehydrated - and I know it. If I don't watch it, it is TOTALLY normal for me to go all day on 20 oz (or less) of liquid. Most of the time I manage about 40 oz, but that's still nowhere near the 64 you're supposed to intake in a day. Its also not uncommon at all for me to still get sick from not remembering to eat. The day of Lily's birthday party, about 5 pm in the evening I suddenly got light-headed and when thinking about it realized the only thing I'd had to eat all day was a cupcake.

Its not that I deliberately don't eat or drink...its just that I genuinely don't remember to do it half the time. If you don't put food or drink in front of me, there's a good chance I might not remember I need sustenance. I've been that way for years. Dr said long time ago that I'd screwed up my body's rhythms or something, overrode my hunger reflex..whatever. Somewhere along those lines.

March 13th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Veteran
I am what I consider a horrible drinker. I think I sit at the edge of dehydration a lot. That is part of why I think I have some of my early contractions. This is all the time for me, not just when pregnant. I have been really trying to drnk more. I keep water by me all the time. Yesterday I swear I had to pee at least 30-40 times with the extra fluid I'm attempting to take in. It didn't help that someone keeps kicking me in the bladder and nearly causing me to pee my pants!!

March 13th, 2013, 12:40 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Quote:

Oh...we got the carseat yesterday! One step closer to being ready. Grace got pretty excited about it, and said (about the new baby), "She's going to sit by me!"
That's awesome =) Do you think she's going to be an (overly) helpful little munchkin with her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananamagic View Post
I have had u/s for the last few weeks to check amniotic fluid along with baby size and position. In my case I was told they do this with AMA patients. My fluid was actually slightly down on Monday.
What is AMA?

March 13th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Veteran
Quote:

What is AMA?
sorry, advanced maternal age

March 13th, 2013, 12:48 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Quote:
sorry, advanced maternal age
The only thing I could think of was "against medical advice" and that REALLY didn't make sense. LOL.

I'm 30 - so I don't think I qualify there?

March 13th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran
Quote:
The only thing I could think of was "against medical advice" and that REALLY didn't make sense. LOL.

I'm 30 - so I don't think I qualify there?
Lol! And you are the same age as I was when I had my first. I don't remember any late u/s with my first two for fluid or otherwise.

March 13th, 2013, 01:04 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Quote:
Lol! And you are the same age as I was when I had my first. I don't remember any late u/s with my first two for fluid or otherwise.
Maybe its just a case of being extra cautious with me because of Lil's issues. I dunno. I know it can't be extremely urgent because they'd have sent me to the hospital or something instead of just scheduling another appointment. Right?

March 13th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
That's how it is here. If its something they are concerned over, then right over to l and d
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
March 14th, 2013, 08:28 AM
anjawb's Avatar Super Mommy
DF surprised me this morning by not going to work! (I freaked out at 8:15 when he was supposed to be heading out the door and he was still in bed) I am so happy because the next three weekends are fairly full, and there is so much stuff I need his help with!!! We are having a "get ready for baby day!!!"

March 14th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Quote:
That's awesome =) Do you think she's going to be an (overly) helpful little munchkin with her?
LOL...probably so! I think we'll probably have to keep a close eye, because she'll want to be "helping" a little too much. She's definitely a little mommy already, and I can just see her wanting to cover/uncover/recover her 100 times, or give her a paci/bottle, etc, or hold her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjawb View Post
DF surprised me this morning by not going to work! (I freaked out at 8:15 when he was supposed to be heading out the door and he was still in bed) I am so happy because the next three weekends are fairly full, and there is so much stuff I need his help with!!! We are having a "get ready for baby day!!!"
That's very sweet of him! So glad you guys can spend the day together AND get stuff done!

March 14th, 2013, 09:08 AM
2XlinkedPHkids
Quote:
Cool =)

-------

Ugh, I am insanely, unreasonably, tired today. I mean I'm normally sleepy...but I've actually caught myself nodding off a few times at work. I'm generally not quite to that point. I dunno why either. I actually slept hard last night. Weirdness.

Quote:
LOL...probably so! I think we'll probably have to keep a close eye, because she'll want to be "helping" a little too much. She's definitely a little mommy already, and I can just see her wanting to cover/uncover/recover her 100 times, or give her a paci/bottle, etc, or hold her.
Monster talked about the fact that she was going to hold George... then not much later picked up her 'baby' and pretty much deliberately dropped it on its head. We were like "...and we're supposed to let you hold George?"

Last edited by CrochetingMama; March 14th, 2013 at 09:11 AM.
March 14th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Lol!

March 14th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I would just melt if my husband did this (although I know that he won't because he is trying to save his time off for after the baby comes). I would love a day of him staying home though and focusing on all the things that we need to get done.
March 14th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I love that you call this baby George. It makes me smile every time I read it. My husbands nick name is George and over the years it has become less common and people have started calling him by his name but he will always be George to me.

March 14th, 2013, 10:52 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
To back up a couple of posts, I would suspect the AFI is just a check that they're doing as a precaution since they're checking other things as well. They were already planning on checking the heart, etc., correct? They may as well check it while they're looking.

I know my midwife is sending me for an ultrasound on Monday because we're almost positive baby is breech. She only told me we were checking position (and I think that's the only concern), but when she gave the receptionist the order, she said position, size, and AFI. When you get later in pregnancy, if they're going to be looking at you, I think they would just as soon double check the levels.

Also, I think you're correct - if it was a concern, they would have sent you right away, not waited a few days!

March 14th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Quote:
When you get later in pregnancy, if they're going to be looking at you, I think they would just as soon double check the levels.

Also, I think you're correct - if it was a concern, they would have sent you right away, not waited a few days!

March 14th, 2013, 11:24 AM
2XlinkedPHkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameetog View Post
I love that you call this baby George. It makes me smile every time I read it. My husbands nick name is George and over the years it has become less common and people have started calling him by his name but he will always be George to me.
Calling her George still has the effect of making me smile every time I do it.

I'm getting a onesie that has "Love me, Hug me, Call me George!" on it
anjawb likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search