Sounds crazy

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen
  • 1 Post By nameetog
  • 1 Post By Missa_Mae
  • 1 Post By CrochetingMama
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By mama3o
  • 1 Post By *Anya*
  • 1 Post By AngieLMG

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2013, 07:19 AM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Ok, please don't take this the wrong way. I am very grateful to be healthy and feel so blessed that baby boy is cozy and doing well. But every time I go to the doctor I hope that she will tell me to stop working or cut down my hours!! I work in an office where we do surgery, other procedures, and see office visit patients. I work at least 9 hours a day, usually 10 and am on my feet the whole time (Monday through Friday). When I take my BP at work it is usually 140's/80's and I have very swollen feet and ankles. When I see my Obgyn, after sitting and waiting in the office, my BP is down and I have no real complaints. I am just so tired at the end of the work day that I have nothing left for my family. I can barely help my 6 year old with his homework. Its such an effort to move around, but nothing hurts and for that I am grateful. I feel like I give all my energy at work and have no time or energy to spare for the family or to get things ready for baby. I have this fantasy that my OB will suggest more time off my feet, at home, enjoying the last few weeks of DS being an only child and nesting. I hate being exhausted, swollen, and worry about my BP. But according to my OB, I am perfect and healthy. I know for all of you with health concerns, I sound terribly selfish, but I do wish my OB would restrict me more, at least work wise. Anyone else feel this way??

Last edited by plastikmom; March 2nd, 2013 at 07:29 AM.
March 2nd, 2013, 07:26 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Well, for completely selfish reasons, when I was having a rough time at work a couple of weeks ago, I kept wishing my midwife would put me on bedrest. I realize this is silly for many reasons - I feel fine, I don't NEED bed rest (thank God), and last time I was on bed rest for 5 days and going CRAZY!!! Anyhow, I think it's normal to think those things during pregnancy. And if it's truly a concern for you, you could always mention it to your OB and see if she will do anything about writing something for you to only be able to work maybe 8 hours. And yes, I do realize that might be taking advantage of the system, which I'm not necessarily advocating, but if it ends up causing you a great deal of stress to be at work 10 hours every day, that's not necessarily good for you and baby, either.
plastikmom likes this.

New picture in progress......
March 2nd, 2013, 07:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I felt that way when I was pregnant with my son. I worked long hours all day on my feet. It was HARD. I had very swollen feet but otherwise I was totally healthy and had no reasons to not be working. I didn't have any kids at home at the time and I would have gone crazy being home with nothing to do and I am grateful I had a healthy pregnancy with no complications BUT yes, I fantasized about being told no more work for you.
plastikmom likes this.

March 2nd, 2013, 07:37 AM
Quote:
I kept wishing my midwife would put me on bedrest.
That's pretty much the fantasy I am having. I was just afraid I would get crucified if I said it. I know the reality and fantasy are not the same. But this pregnant chick is dreaming of relaxing work free days where I can make a scrap book of my baby shower pics and watch Season One of the Walking Dead with my feet up. Then pick up DS from school, have enough energy to spend time with him and maybe be able to talk to DH before bed. But again, I am grateful to be healthy and apparently there is no medical reason for me not to be working so much! I am just glad I am not the only one who has this fantasy!
March 2nd, 2013, 07:45 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
I can relate!

Altough I am very happy that I am healthy, and that baby is doing fine ... there are days when I wake up for work wishing I could just go back to bed, or rest on the couch all day. I am seriously considering asking my OB for a Handicapped Sticker for my car because I have to park so far away from the building ... by the time I get to the door I am huffing and puffing.
plastikmom likes this.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

March 2nd, 2013, 07:59 AM
2XlinkedPHkids
ROFL - and here I am fibbing to my OB because I'm afraid I'll get put on restrictions if i tell the truth about how I'm feeling/doing.
plastikmom likes this.

March 2nd, 2013, 08:01 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameetog View Post
I felt that way when I was pregnant with my son. I worked long hours all day on my feet. It was HARD. I had very swollen feet but otherwise I was totally healthy and had no reasons to not be working. I didn't have any kids at home at the time and I would have gone crazy being home with nothing to do and I am grateful I had a healthy pregnancy with no complications BUT yes, I fantasized about being told no more work for you.
This...this is how I felt when pregnant with Grace. Don't get me wrong...I did indeed feel very blessed, and fortunate that I did not have complications. My working conditions were way less than ideal...on my feet, working overtime, and my coworkers were hateful and mean. I had borderline high BP at the end, and was very swollen, but nothing that ever got to a concerning level. I would have LOVED to have been able to stop working, but I worked right up to the end...went into labor after work. Anyway, I can relate to the fantasy.
plastikmom likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 2nd, 2013, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Aww. You poor thing. I think many people are in the same boat, hoping and wishing but not...I would love to stay home. I am asking my dr. to pull me out two weeks early anyway on Monday. This way I will at least hopefully....have a break before delivery. Although we will see about that. Rest as much as you can this weekend. And if you are feeling it...tell your doc at your next visit.
plastikmom likes this.
March 2nd, 2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks girls. I am so glad some of you can relate and don't think I am the most ungrateful, selfish person ever!!
March 2nd, 2013, 08:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh girl don't feel bad I have been hoping that since January...I work in retail on my feet scheduled for 45-50 hrs a week in a huge building that requires me to walk everywhere AND deal w/ customers. I have actual health concerns though and my dr doesn't take it seriously enough. I have passed out twice and came close to passing out over a dozen times. He knows there's issues but the only thing he did was amend my Fmla to include 40 hrs a week for illness. You don't get paid for Fmla so that hasn't done me any good and it sucks not getting paid.. Thankfully I'm out on vacation until the 12th but I will be returning to work at almost 38 wks.. Yay lol
March 2nd, 2013, 09:01 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think at this point we all just want to rest a little, no shame in admitting that I watch kids at my house and it's getting harder every day, they wear me out and then I have no energy left for my daughter. I start my "maternity leave" 3 days before my due date if baby isn't here yet, I'm kind of hoping the kid will be a bit late so I can relax and spend some quality time with my first baby before she is dethroned from being the only child.
jen747 likes this.
March 2nd, 2013, 09:08 AM
Veteran
As someone who IS on modified bed rest-which may be strict br after my appointment on Monday- I actually totally understand. I'm a teacher, and was starting to get so miserable that it was kind of a relief to be told I was done teaching for the year. It sucked in many many ways, but it's nice to be able to listen to my body and not push it. It's nice to know I'm doing all I can to keep baby safe. And it's also nice to be around my toddler a lot more. I'm trying to soak up my time with her before her sister arrives. So, no, you're not at all horrible to think that. And I also believe that if it's a concern, ask for some doctor-prescribed restrictions. This time in our lives will be a blip on the radar, ya know? Make sure you listen to what your body, and baby, needs. Just a thought...
bellasky likes this.

March 2nd, 2013, 09:40 AM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
I agree with AngieLMG. I haven't been on bed rest long and I thought that I could have just gone to work and sat all day while teaching with my feet up. Well, when my sister in law came over with her two kiddos, I wasn't even the one up and around with them but it was bringing on more contractions just having the stress there. If you feel like you need the rest, talk to your doctor. I'm happy to be on bed rest knowing what the stress was doing to me.

March 2nd, 2013, 09:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't had a job for 7 years, so hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but do you need an OB's recommendation to cut back your hours at the end of pregnancy if you want to? I guess it probably depends on the employer? I would think anyone would understand needing/wanting to work less at the end.
March 2nd, 2013, 10:01 AM
Quote:
I haven't had a job for 7 years, so hopefully this isn't a dumb question, but do you need an OB's recommendation to cut back your hours at the end of pregnancy if you want to?
Not a dumb question at all....but here's my dumb answer : I hate to complain and I hate to feel like I can't do something. If I stop working its got to be because someone tells me to (my OB) because for me to ask for it, I would feel like a failure/like I'm not "strong enough". Stupid right? Also, if I want to use my short term disability I would need my OB to make the decision as well, but it's not really about that. Its more about me not wanting to admit that I can't handle it.
March 2nd, 2013, 02:15 PM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first pregnancy, I had a job that sounds similar to yours. On my swollen feet, in surgery all day. You're the only nurse for one surgeon, right? We had 3 surgeons in 3 different offices, and 4 RNs, so I was lucky that they tried to schedule me with another nurse pretty often to share the workload & really for "just in case anything happens to Jenna"...which I did appreciate. I also volunteered to take days off without pay at every opportunity (like if a doctor was off & they didnt need full staff), so I usually got 2 or 3 extra days off each month. I lived at home & had no kids or financial worries, so it was a real lifesaver for me to have those little breaks. I would not be afraid to speak up & talk to your boss about considering the possibility of you cutting back.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search