Wrap or carrier?

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By Pretty Crispy
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By CrochetingMama
  • 1 Post By mommy to alexander
  • 3 Post By *Anya*
  • 3 Post By CrochetingMama
  • 1 Post By ~AmazedByYou~
  • 2 Post By MaineBean
  • 1 Post By ~AmazedByYou~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2013, 02:15 PM
Mommy :)
What do you have/want?

Pros and cons of both?

I was thinking of getting an ergo. I was told by a friend that beco is good to and that her physical therapist actually recommended that over ergo.

Opinions please

Mommy to

Laycie (August 2007)
Kayleigh (May 2009)
Jaxon (April 2013)
March 2nd, 2013, 02:23 PM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
Moby and Beco. I wore the Beco around the other day just to get a feel for it and even 35 weeks pregnant it was incredibly comfortable.
nameetog likes this.

March 2nd, 2013, 02:32 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With Grace, I had a Maya Wrap ring sling and then later a Beco. I hated the ring sling--never could get it adjusted to a comfortable position, and it killed my shoulder. I loved the Beco, though! Definitely plan to use it this time, especially when she's older.

This time I've got a Moby--haven't used it yet, of course, but I'm excited to try a wrap. I've heard mixed things about Mobys, but most of what i have heard is that they're great for small babies, but not so great for older babies. Of course, I'll have the Beco for when she's older, anyway. Ultimately I'd also like to get a woven wrap, but I will probably wait a while. They're pricey (although worth it, from what I hear), so I'll see how we do with the Moby first, and go from there.

As for Beco vs. Ergo...I have no personal experience with the Ergo, but I've heard that it just comes down to personal preference. If you have a way to test them out, that's probably the best way to know which one you might like. I chose Beco because I liked that there was a piece of fabric between me and baby, and I believe the Ergo doesn't have that.
nameetog likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 2nd, 2013, 03:51 PM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Moby- always and forever lol.

I love love love mine! I made it so I was able to pick a fabric that I liked and worked for our climate and needs. We used it until DD was almost 3. I have a basic brown one right now but may change it once we know what baby's gender is. My DD was hot pink with polka dots lol.

March 2nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I used a Moby with my son quite a bit when he was little. It did not work well once he was older (too stretchy for my liking) and I didn't wear him much as he got heavier. I was not at all baby wearing experienced. I borrowed an Ergo from a friend and I hated it. It was not at all comfortable for ME. I know plenty of people who love theirs however. I bought a Beco with my second and I used it quite a bit when she was older for a back carry. Usually going off for the day to the zoo etc and always on vacations but I never loved it for a front carry with a little one. I mostly used for everyday use my ring slings with my daughter. I found for me with 2 kids i didn't have a choice but to learn to babywear. I loved the Maya wrap and I also have a solar veil ring sling. I will use the slings again quite a bit I'm sure but I also have a linen wrap this time as well.

What I love about the Maya Wrap is it is quick. I throw it over my shoulder and pop the kid in. Done. All day wear though it did get uncomfortable. What I didn't like about the Moby was it was heavy material and it was hot. It also took time to learn to wrap it. I did however like how comfortable it was once it was on. I have the linen wrap this time so it is lighter weight fabric and I'm hoping to get more use of it. I did get tired using the ring sling and feel like it will be better to have a variety depending on what we are doing. I don't like to lug an infant carrier around. I loath strollers and frankly I can't push a stroller and hold both my kids hands. My son and daughter both have several activities a week and I am not one to sit around the house. We are very busy on the go so this baby will be worn the majority of the time, I need a variety for the amount of usage.

March 2nd, 2013, 03:59 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Still debating that ourselves! I like the moby wrap but not for summer. We're thinking Mai Tei.
nameetog likes this.

March 2nd, 2013, 04:29 PM
Veteran
I have never baby worn, but I bought a moby this time and I'm so excited to try it out!
nameetog likes this.

March 2nd, 2013, 06:21 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only ever used a mai tei with my newborn and am looking forward to it again. I also have a few pocket slings in a few sizes I made and will try those out, though I get the impression they are easier with bigger kids.

I'm too cheap to look into another carrier to add to the mix, but I have a lot of friends that just adored their Mobys,

March 2nd, 2013, 09:46 PM
Veteran
Moby when they're little, Ergo when they're a bit bigger. Just my personal experience, but I can't say enough good things about both of them!!

March 2nd, 2013, 10:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a Moby and mei tai made from a woven wrap. I prefer the mei tai because I don't like the stretchiness of the Moby very much. But I do use the Moby once in a while when baby is itty bitty.

March 2nd, 2013, 11:18 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think they all have their place lol. I have 2 ring slings, 2 moby type wraps (I made it and it makes 2 from a solid piece of fabric), I just got a Beco, tried a mei tai and made a podeigi, and got a woven wrap for this baby that I wore my nephew in for a bit before belly got too big. I think moby or similar stretchy wrap is a great first wrap since it's a bit easier to work with than a woven. But like others said because of the stretch at a certain point baby gets too heavy and sags, for us that was around 20-22lbs. But I love how snuggled up in it she was, and I also like that I can put it on at home and go run errands, when needed pop the baby in. Same with wearing it around the house, put the wrap on and keep it on to put baby in when needed.
A carrier is nice because it's quicker to put on, plus daddies are more likely to wear something like a carrier or a sling vs. a wrap lol. At least my husband never wanted to even try the wrap. I prefer a Beco over the Ergo, like someone mentioned it has the internal harness which makes getting baby on your back easier (only Butterfly has that, Gemini does not) Also Beco Butterfly is made in USA and Ergo is made in China, to me that makes a difference lol.
My favorite for long wear comfort is the woven wrap, by far. But it's a learning curve, I'm still figuring out different carries and positions, but I love how much support it provides and how adjustable it is.
See if you have a baby wearing group near you, they usually have a carrier library so you can see different types and try them on etc. They are also very knowledgeable and experienced and can help you with figuring things out
March 3rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
I had a Moby and a Beco Butterfly with my son.. I liked them both for different ages/reasons. I have an Ergo also now, a maya ring sling, a pouch sling, and am looking at a woven wrap also. I just know that babywearing is going to be my go to now that I will have a newborn and a VERY active 3 year old.

March 3rd, 2013, 05:42 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
We got a fantastic deal on a Beco Butterfly 2 today =) My boyfriend and I went to this 'natural/organic parenting' store and they had a TON of carriers for us to try out, and that one ended u being our favorite. The fact that it was cheap compared to the googled price was definitely a plus.
*Anya*, ThaiSpice and nameetog like this.

March 4th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a Mai tie and when she's older ill use a ergo I think
March 4th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Okay, can we clarify.. it's been bugging me. A "Mai Tai" is an alcoholic beverage usually served at a chinese food restaurant. A "Mei Tai" is a type of baby carrier. Thank you, carry on.
*Anya* likes this.

March 4th, 2013, 02:08 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AmazedByYou~ View Post
Okay, can we clarify.. it's been bugging me. A "Mai Tai" is an alcoholic beverage usually served at a chinese food restaurant. A "Mei Tai" is a type of baby carrier. Thank you, carry on.
I think I spell it differently every time! I have no idea what I typed this time. I always know it's NOT the same as the drink, but darned if I can remember which is which. One of them has an e, maybe both of them have an e, the E probably goes before the I, etc...? I totally can't be bothered to look it up either. Firefox spell check is of no help either, hmph.

And let's face it, sometimes a mai tai is just as good as a mei tai when dealing with an inconsolable baby!
~AmazedByYou~ and HalfDozen like this.

March 4th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBean View Post
I think I spell it differently every time! I have no idea what I typed this time. I always know it's NOT the same as the drink, but darned if I can remember which is which. One of them has an e, maybe both of them have an e, the E probably goes before the I, etc...? I totally can't be bothered to look it up either. Firefox spell check is of no help either, hmph.

And let's face it, sometimes a mai tai is just as good as a mei tai when dealing with an inconsolable baby!

the real problem here is that nearly every time I read "mai tai" I instantly crave chinese food.
MaineBean likes this.

March 4th, 2013, 11:43 PM
~*Mandy*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a moby and an ergo and would love to try out some other wraps/carriers. I actually like the infant insert in the ergo but instead of putting the baby in it before like the instructions show and then shoving the insert/baby in the pouch I put the pouch in first and then froggy the baby in. Much easier IMO. I just don't know what I'll do if this baby doesn't like to be swaddled or carried. LOL!

*Thank you *Sharon* for my amazing siggy!*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search