Nursery Venting

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree25Likes
  • 2 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 7 Post By nameetog
  • 1 Post By nameetog
  • 1 Post By Purple_cat
  • 4 Post By CrochetingMama
  • 2 Post By mommy to alexander
  • 1 Post By MaineBean
  • 1 Post By Twirlbird
  • 1 Post By Mel_Kay
  • 3 Post By rverrone11
  • 2 Post By *Anya*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
Tonight kinda sucked....I cried after my brother showed me pictures of his little ones nursery (my SIL is due next week)

As some/ most know as of right now my SO and I live with my parents... we ran into a little bit of a money situation when he got laid off and we are trying to bounce back and get our own place...

When I told my father I was pregnant he told me the little room next to our room could be her nursery which was so exciting for me... then a few months went by and he changed his mind... he said that it's now the laundry room.. soo our room is LOs room and we have to cram everything in... we weren't going to set up the crib but we decided to so we could use it as storage... our room looks like a mess 24/7 because we have so much and very little space... I just wish we had more room for our LO and I felt better about it instead of all her stuff being piled and stuffed everywhere I would love to have it set up cutely and feel proud of it

Sorry for the rant, just looking at pictures of my brothers LOs nursery hit hard.

March 2nd, 2013, 03:08 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry it's got you down. I can understand why you'd feel that way! I don't really have any good suggestions, other than just trying to make the best of the space you have, and using this a motivation to work toward the future you want to have.
Sneetch and Cortney6983 like this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 2nd, 2013, 03:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I was pregnant with my son we lived in a tiny one bedroom apartment. We started house hunting and planned on buying a house but we decided I'd stay home and then my husband took a different job to take over our insurance and support us all without my income. That job made him miserable, it took a toll on our marriage. We took a leap of faith decided to stay in the tiny apartment, put off buying a house, he quit that job and for a short time no one was employed. I hated not having a nursery. I hated not having room to set up his crib etc. I hated looking at all the nurseries all my friends had. Looking at the nurseries everyone on his expecting club had done made me sad.

Fast forward 6 years later we have a better house than we could ever have bought or were looking at then. Our relationship is better off because we are both happy in what we do everyday. I appreciate what we have now much more because we worked hard to get where we are. I have also learned even when we had room for a crib and a nursery we didn't need and or use it. I had much more fun decorating their big kid rooms than a nursery they outgrow so quickly that we never use. Just MY 2 cents and I know I'm in the minority here but I just find the whole nursery not needed. No offense to everyone else. I know everyone loves putting together and decorating the nursery.

Anywho, believe me I "get it" but I'll tell you I wouldn't trade any of it and 3 kids later still no nursery I couldn't be happier and we are far better off than we ever imagined possible. You just never know how things will end up!

March 2nd, 2013, 03:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Posted twice : /
Cortney6983 likes this.

March 2nd, 2013, 04:02 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When my daughter was born we only had 1 bedroom so our daughter shared a room with us and it felt full of random stuff. I was a little sad to not have a separate nursery space but that time went by so quickly. This time we do have a room for the baby but we have been using it for an office/ extra storage. I don't think that we will ever have a cute nursery and I am okay with that. I love looking at pictures of other people's nurseries but that just isn't our reality.
Cortney6983 likes this.
March 2nd, 2013, 04:05 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Nursery's not all that big of a deal. I know it might seem like it is, but its really not. Just remember that a baby to snuggle is much more awesome than a pretty'd up room that the kid will have outgrown before it learns to appreciate =)

I agree with nameetog too on the 'much more fun decorating a big kid room.

March 2nd, 2013, 04:11 PM
Veteran
I agree with some of the other ladies, they really aren't all that necessary. We have a room for the baby, but the only decorations we have is painted walls and curtains. There is a dresser in there and a crib. Really no other decorations. Eventually we will decorate it when she is bigger, but I don't enjoy wasting a bunch of money on things that she will outgrow so fast.
Sneetch and Cortney6983 like this.

March 2nd, 2013, 04:28 PM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
Thanks for your help! I do agree they are not necessary I guess because this being my first it just hurt seeing it and looking at this one room we have, I am doing my best to make it work but it can get hard when you have such little room! I know there are those who are worse off for sure, maybe also living with my parents and having my dad take away that room hurt as well. I think you are right decorating a toddlers room sounds more fun when they can appreciate it more!

March 2nd, 2013, 06:42 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a spare bedroom that we're using for a "nursery" but really, it's just a room with a crib, dresser with changing pad on it, and all the gear. We're not bothering with decorations or anything- baby doesn't care. If I had time and money, I'm sure I'd be more than happy to put together an extravagant room, but it is just for fun. I'm sure you'll have a perfectly happy and warm space (if a little small) for your little girl!
Cortney6983 likes this.

March 2nd, 2013, 06:57 PM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
Mia didn't have a nursery. We were in a two bedroom but B had a room too. It didn't bother me that much.

And Mia is being transtioned to her room with B and Jbean will be in with us. Its affecting me more this time around. But it is what it is and I have to just accept it
Cortney6983 likes this.
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
March 2nd, 2013, 07:03 PM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We won't have a nursery this time around either. Baby will be rooming with us for the time being.

Here's the cool thing, something you should remember. You can always make her a super cute room when she's older! She's more than likely not going to remember anything about her nursery. I didn't have a cutesy nursery with my first son either because we were renting, but the house we lived in once he was two we were able to decorate his room. By this time he was sharing with his baby brother, I had an artist friend of mine paint a mural in their room. She painted trees that mimicked the oak trees we had in our back yard, there were ants climbing up the tree and various bugs painted on the wall. The theme was "Don't let the bedbugs bite", they LOVED their room and still talk about it to this day. So, don't beat yourself up about not having a nursery for baby. I understand that is something we look forward to, but it isn't something that will ruin our children for the rest of their lives if they don't have it. What's most important is that they have a happy, loving family.
HalfDozen likes this.

Mommy to 4 boys
March 2nd, 2013, 10:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Neither of my girls have had a nursery. We are in the process of renovating our 2 bedroom house, and one of the bedrooms is the room we are remodeling right now. So everything is crammed into 1 bedroom...me, DH, my two girls, and baby on the way. Once the bedroom we are redoing is done, we will all move into that one and then start on the second one. Even if we had a spare bedroom, we would still all be sleeping in one room...we just like being close.

I'm really looking forward to doing my girls' room. They are 5 and 2.5 right now, and they helped me pick out paint colors (purplish/pink), and they are going to have a say in what kind of bed, wall decals, etc. It's much more fun when they can help out and tell you what they want.
*Anya*, nameetog and Cortney6983 like this.

March 2nd, 2013, 11:43 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Baby won't care about a pretty room, baby would prefer to be close to you
We also lived with my parents for the first 2.5 years, and sometimes it was hard and sometimes I wanted more space. But at the end of the day I was glad to have my baby in the room with me, and I know she liked it that way too. We don't have a nursery this time either, and even if we had a spare room baby would still be in our room, probably for at least a year.
nameetog and Cortney6983 like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search