Schools and Gun Issues

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By *Anya*
  • 1 Post By Sneetch
  • 2 Post By *Anya*
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 2 Post By MaineBean

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2013, 04:54 PM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
I thought I would share this article i saw on facebook...

7NEWS - School suspends 7-year-old for shapng pastry into 'shape of gun' - U.S. & World Story

do you think they went to far? do you feel it was right or wrong what the school did?

speaking of school are you for or against homeschooling?

I think they went to far in my opinion...

March 3rd, 2013, 05:11 PM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
Sometimes the kids just need a warning. Just talk to him and tell him to be more careful.

March 3rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasky View Post
Sometimes the kids just need a warning. Just talk to him and tell him to be more careful.
i just think the whole suspension went a bit too far

March 3rd, 2013, 06:19 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Too far.

I love the idea of home schooling and unschooling, we don't live in the best school district and can't afford the private school I like so for now at least she'll be homeschooled.
Sneetch and Cortney6983 like this.
March 3rd, 2013, 06:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
Too far.

I love the idea of home schooling and unschooling, we don't live in the best school district and can't afford the private school I like so for now at least she'll be homeschooled.
I love the idea of unschooling, but whenever I discuss it with anyone, I think they think I'm crazy. Do you get that feeling at all?
Cortney6983 likes this.
March 3rd, 2013, 07:31 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetch View Post
I love the idea of unschooling, but whenever I discuss it with anyone, I think they think I'm crazy. Do you get that feeling at all?
Sometimes, a lot of my IRL friends are like that, so I have a community of moms online that have similar views that help me feel grounded. It's frustrating though, it'd be nice to have local friends that feel and do similarly.
March 4th, 2013, 06:19 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I love the idea of homsechooling, at least up to a certain age. However, with both of us working full time, I'm not sure how we would make that work. My mom always thought I would be the one that homeschooled my kids because she thought hubby and I could handle it.
Cortney6983 likes this.

March 4th, 2013, 06:27 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Gun issue: too far.

Homeschooling: under a completely different set of circumstances, maybe. Purely from an educational standpoint, it is appealing. Personally, though, I always enjoyed the social aspect of actually going to school. There are definitely pros and cons of each, and a lot to consider. My older sister homeschools her kids and it works out very well for them, and they are involved in other social/group activities. Ultimately, though, it just isn't going to happen for us, considering the choices we've made (our professions, etc).
Cortney6983 likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 4th, 2013, 07:09 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gun issue: too far for sure. We tell our 3.5 year old son that there is no violent playing in our house, but he's still a little boy who is already into the idea of good and bad guys and sometimes that involved imaginative play with guns. (Which I hate and discourage.) But good grief, this 7 year old kid chewed a shape into a freaking pop tart. Are there other shapes that are banned? What if it looked like a body part? What if it looked like a religious figure? Let's calm down here folks.

As for homeschooling, it is totally not for me. I like the idea of standardized public schooling, for all its faults. I will be an active participant in what my kid learns as it is, but since I hate history, politics, and some of the sciences, it would be hard for me to instill a passion in them if I tried to teach them all myself. Plus there's that whole full time work thing that gets in the way. I do not however have an issue with others that homeschool.

Only exception is if a homeschool kid has an attitude issue with it. What I mean by that... I read a Dear Abby this week about some homeschooled 14 year old girl that self identified as being really smart and she said that other "children" her age bully her and pull mean pranks "because she is smart and does so well on tests."

Now maybe there was some editing to the letter, but it sounded to me like the 14 year old has a snotty attitude about other kids and they probably used that as a way of poking fun. (Dear Abby was all "that's bullying- report it!" when DH and I thought, no, that's this kid letting other idiot kids get under her skin easily and them ramping it up accordingly to push her buttons.) If a 14 year old thinks other kids care THAT much about her being smart (how would they even know how she scores on tests?) AND she refers to her peers as "children", it strikes me that she is missing some social skills and real world understanding.

I think SOME (certainly not all) homeschooled kids run the risk of not "getting" how the real world works (sometimes there are jerks you have to deal with and ignore) because of being isolated and being treated as super special snowflakes by their hovering parents. It seems to me that these days there are more than enough communities and organized activities where homeschooled kids can meet and regularly interact with other kids to see how personalities run the gamut (sports teams, extracurricular activities, homeschool organizations, etc), so there is no need for children to miss out on that, but I worry some parents seek to shelter their wee ones too much and don't let them experience the "joys" of society by keeping them locked up in their homes.

But really, the education part seems totally plausible if well done (and I'm sure just as good a chance as some public schools given the mess that can be found there) and with care, the social stuff can come along with it. It just isn't for me at all!

March 4th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBean View Post
Gun issue: too far for sure. We tell our 3.5 year old son that there is no violent playing in our house, but he's still a little boy who is already into the idea of good and bad guys and sometimes that involved imaginative play with guns. (Which I hate and discourage.) But good grief, this 7 year old kid chewed a shape into a freaking pop tart. Are there other shapes that are banned? What if it looked like a body part? What if it looked like a religious figure? Let's calm down here folks.

As for homeschooling, it is totally not for me. I like the idea of standardized public schooling, for all its faults. I will be an active participant in what my kid learns as it is, but since I hate history, politics, and some of the sciences, it would be hard for me to instill a passion in them if I tried to teach them all myself. Plus there's that whole full time work thing that gets in the way. I do not however have an issue with others that homeschool.

Only exception is if a homeschool kid has an attitude issue with it. What I mean by that... I read a Dear Abby this week about some homeschooled 14 year old girl that self identified as being really smart and she said that other "children" her age bully her and pull mean pranks "because she is smart and does so well on tests."

Now maybe there was some editing to the letter, but it sounded to me like the 14 year old has a snotty attitude about other kids and they probably used that as a way of poking fun. (Dear Abby was all "that's bullying- report it!" when DH and I thought, no, that's this kid letting other idiot kids get under her skin easily and them ramping it up accordingly to push her buttons.) If a 14 year old thinks other kids care THAT much about her being smart (how would they even know how she scores on tests?) AND she refers to her peers as "children", it strikes me that she is missing some social skills and real world understanding.

I think SOME (certainly not all) homeschooled kids run the risk of not "getting" how the real world works (sometimes there are jerks you have to deal with and ignore) because of being isolated and being treated as super special snowflakes by their hovering parents. It seems to me that these days there are more than enough communities and organized activities where homeschooled kids can meet and regularly interact with other kids to see how personalities run the gamut (sports teams, extracurricular activities, homeschool organizations, etc), so there is no need for children to miss out on that, but I worry some parents seek to shelter their wee ones too much and don't let them experience the "joys" of society by keeping them locked up in their homes.

But really, the education part seems totally plausible if well done (and I'm sure just as good a chance as some public schools given the mess that can be found there) and with care, the social stuff can come along with it. It just isn't for me at all!
I agree homeschooling is fine if done right ...my neighbor does it and her kids never do work...and they don't hang out with kids their age them being 14 and 9 they are honestly not up to par where they should be .. The 14 year old is very immature ( her and I have had it out a few times when she comes over) they need other kids their age for interaction to learn what it's like to be 14 not trying to act 20 something I've mentioned her in another post about her using the Internet for really bad reasons that no 14 year old should ! If done right homeschooling can be good if you do it and use the groups around that meet so other homeschooled kids can connect with each other

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search