Anyone with a breech baby and trying the Webster Technique?

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bananamagic
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Carnia's Avatar Regular
Hi all. Just wondering if any of you are planning on trying the Webster Technique with a chiropractor or if any of ya'll have had this done before. If you had it previously done or know someone who had it, was it successful? How long after you had it preformed did the baby turn? Any negative experiences? Would you recommend it? My baby has been breeched all along as far as I know, other than a few times she was "transverse". She is also a big baby according to them (they claim to see fat rolls and actually thought she may have had skin edema but ruled it out as just being a chunky monkey), so I am concerned that waiting until 37 weeks to have the OB do an external version may be too late and she'll be too big to budge out of the breech position. Hence why I am considering alternative methods now.

March 4th, 2013, 01:34 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
Even if they did the external version at 37 weeks, she still would have plenty of time to turn back around. They usually don't do versions until beyond 38 weeks.

March 4th, 2013, 01:43 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had the webster done on me because mine was transverse. I know the baby still has quite a bit of space in there because I still feel the summersaults, but a week or so after seeing the chiro baby turned head down. I definitely think it's worth a shot, along with exercises from spinning babies. I'm also taking pulsitilla (homeopathic). So I'm not sure which of those things helped, but baby did move into a head down position. I'd try everything under the sun before agreeing to a version
March 4th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Veteran
My Dr won't do version unti 39 weeks with only 50% success rate. We are not going to risk version and will opt to have c section if he does not turn on own. Mine is breech and not budging. Trying exercises on spinning babies but not seeing Chiro.
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

March 4th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
They don't do versions here as far as I am aware. I've never heard of any at least. I have heard about spinningbabies and heard of success with that (or at least baby flipped coincidentally lol)
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
March 5th, 2013, 05:51 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
My doctor last time wouldn't do a version until after 38 weeks. That way if labor or emergency c-section is needed, the baby is considered full-term. But, as I've said a few times, they can still flip right up to delivery. Mine flipped within 12 hours last time, and honestly, I didn't feel that she had flipped. She was just active, like normal.
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

March 5th, 2013, 06:00 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any experience with it, but I'm hoping one way or another that baby turns around! Have you looked at the spinningbabies website?

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 5th, 2013, 11:55 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I am a total lurker (in the DDC behind yours, so I like to keep up with how close we are )...

But I have experience with the Webster technique and I have nothing but good things to say about it. My second child was head-down from 28 weeks to 36 weeks. Sometime between 36 weeks and 37 weeks, he flipped into a "transverse breech" position (I don't think that is a technical term, but it's what the tech called it). He had his bum sitting on my hip and his head in my ribs. He was estimated at 8lbs, 9oz at that sonogram (exactly 37 weeks). I panicked, given I had a doula and was planning a NCB and here he went breech. I got on spinning babies and wrote down some things to try (I did the ironing board trick, which was very uncomfortable) and also sat with a heating pack down low and ice up high. I tried to tailor sit a lot too (just Indian style on the floor). I also had two sessions of the Websters technique with a local chiro. One was that same day as the sono that showed him breech and the other the following day.

I DO know that if baby has dropped into the pelvis, it's a lot more unlikely for any of the methods to work. I also know that this is one case where having a lot of fluid can help matters greatly (I was at the high end of normal). So there are variables to consider. BUT, my water broke at 37+2 and baby was head down and engaged when I arrived at the hospital. It's probable that he turned and broke my water at the same time that evening. But I actually never felt him turn the first time either, so I can't be sure when he turned back transverse. He weighed 8lbs, 4oz at birth, so was every bit as big as we expected. (to think I couldn't even feel that big of a baby turning...TWICE! Lol)

I found the Websters technique to be painless and actually even a little bit relaxing. Usually chiros are covered by insurance as well, so it should just be a co-pay. I was also planning on acupuncture later in the week, if he hadn't turned yet. But never got that far.

As far as turning late, obviously it happens. I was not a candidate for an external version because of a blood clotting condition (they also will not do one for anyone with an anterior placenta). But there are also some tricks you can try to do to keep a head-down baby head down if they do end up turning. I think it's smart to think about it ahead of time, especially if you have insurance coverage. It wouldn't hurt to stop into the chiro once or twice, even several weeks before your due date. If this baby is not head down around 35 weeks, I do plan to visit the chiro as a precautionary measure. I won't be a candidate for a version again (still the blood clotting, but also another anterior placenta) and it just seems smart to try to head of problems with another late-flipping breech. I would certainly look into it

Sorry for crashing (and for being so wordy!)
March 5th, 2013, 12:23 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I wasn't aware they wouldn't do it with an anterior placenta. Sure hope mine is head down this time then!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search