naming daughters after mom...

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By ~AmazedByYou~
  • 2 Post By kitt
  • 2 Post By *Anya*
  • 1 Post By MaineBean
  • 3 Post By MsRK
  • 2 Post By bananamagic
  • 2 Post By nameetog
  • 2 Post By Sneetch
  • 1 Post By jen747

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 01:30 PM
alyssabeth2685's Avatar Veteran
I am wondering what your thoughts are on naming a daughter after mom. Do you think its weird or no different than being a jr after dad. Open to all suggestions.

My reason for asking is my Dad wants this baby to be named alyssa laine, which is my first name and my great grandmothers maiden name. He thinks it sounds good and likes it. I think its weird to have mother and daughter be the same. I feel like it would honor my dad and grandma. DH actually likes it! I don't see us naming this baby it, but just wanted opinions.
March 4th, 2013, 01:35 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
I honestly always think it's strange. Then again.. I also don't like "jr's"
*Anya* and Kennydra like this.

March 4th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I would think it was weird. I also have a problem with other people naming my baby. That's my fav part of pregnancy, picking the name
Sneetch and nameetog like this.
March 4th, 2013, 01:59 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AmazedByYou~ View Post
I honestly always think it's strange. Then again.. I also don't like "jr's"

I also don't like when a boy is named after a father, I think it's kind of silly. But I also prefer unique names.
~AmazedByYou~ and nameetog like this.
March 4th, 2013, 02:03 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I guess it's no weirder than being a male Junior. I'm sure you'd have a nickname for daughter to distinguish the two. I'm not a fan of either though personally.

I DO have no problem with middle names honoring a parent or other family member. My DH would like a daughter to have my middle name, which is also both of my grandmothers' middle names. (I'd rather honor my mom, Linda, with a Lynn.) My brother shares my father's middle name, and if we didn't already love our boy middle name, I'd totally consider DH's first name or his mom's maiden name (which can also be a first name.)

I don't want my daughter named Erika though- or a son named Eric. It's confusing. It's bad enough at holidays when someone calls either me or my cousin Eric- I can't imagine having both in the same house all the time.
nameetog likes this.

March 4th, 2013, 02:26 PM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that its a sweet sentiment behind wanting to pass on a name but I have always wanted my child to have "their own" first name.

I was very much trying to get one or both of our father's names as my child's MIDDLE name but I just didn't like it or think that it grooved with the first name that we chose. So we picked an orginal middle name as well.

I still think its a cute idea though to pass on YOUR first name as your childs MIDDLE name.. but not the first name.
kitt, ~AmazedByYou~ and nameetog like this.
March 4th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
I don't see whats wrong with it. Except if your gonna both be called the same name. Then it would get too confusing I think

Our boy is going to be John ???, daddy is John Adam, and grandpa is John Thomas. They go by their middle names.
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
March 4th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Veteran
I find same names too confusing. They end up being called Jr or little ___. We used DH first name for son middle name and my middle name for daughter middle name.
kitt and nameetog like this.

March 4th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My husband is "the third," so we felt some pressure to name our first son "_____ IV," but I wasn't having it. I love DH's name, but I felt like "the third" was a good place to stop.

I don't think there's anything wrong with naming a daughter after yourself, but it's not my style. My mom is named after her mom. It has never seemed strange to me. My mom always went by her first and middle name, and her mom just went by the first name. So I don't think there was any confusion. I still wouldn't do it myself, though.
March 4th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Add me to the not a huge fan of same names bench. I also like honoring someone with a middle name. My daughter is named after my grandmother but they are Lil and Lilli (short for Lillian) and we aren't in the same house, they are generations apart. My son has FIL's first name as a middle and this one will likely have my fathers name as a middle. I also personally and this is likely just my rebellious side talking I wouldn't use a name my father chose. My kid. My choice. Sorry, you don't get a vote. Just MY two cents...
kitt and *Anya* like this.

March 4th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameetog View Post
I also personally and this is likely just my rebellious side talking I wouldn't use a name my father chose. My kid. My choice. Sorry, you don't get a vote. Just MY two cents...
I thought the same thing, but then I realized I am kind of a hypocrite. If my own dad suggested a name, I would seriously consider it. But my dad is so not pushy about anything, so that has something to do with it. If my FIL suggested a name, it would be blacklisted.
kitt and nameetog like this.
March 4th, 2013, 04:10 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I definitely think that using family names is sweet and sentimental, but naming my daughter with the same first name as me is not my thing. I love using middle names that have family significance, though. Grace's middle name is a common middle name in DH's family. And this baby's first name is actually similar to my middle name (although that's not really why we chose it). BUT...I don't think there's anything wrong with passing on your first name to your daughter if that's what YOU wanted to do.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 4th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am with the school of naming the baby something individual. I named my first after his dad, and I don't love it...Everyone always calls them incorrectly...All of my others have a connection to dad and that is perfect for me.
March 4th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Kennydra's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't see anything wrong with it (I do think it's a pretty name actually!), but I just know I wouldn't do it myself. What about a variation of your name or something? I do like the idea of naming babies after other close/special family members though! Both of our boys have middle names of family that is close to us and this baby will be named in honor my Mom. My mom's name is Rosa and this baby will be Rosalie, but we'll be calling her Rosie and her middle name will be Maryanne, after my Nana who passed away last year.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 4th, 2013, 06:35 PM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the majority here. I personally wouldn't use a family members name as a first name for a boy or girl. Middle name maybe. Having said that, I do think Alyssa Laine is a lovely suggestion!
anjawb likes this.

March 5th, 2013, 07:31 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I wouldn't want mom's or dad's same first name for the baby. I don't think there's anything "wrong" with it necessarily, but it's not for us. I know of many parents who have done this, especially where I grew up, and honestly, I thought they lacked originality that they couldn't come up with a different name. Hubby wouldn't want that, either. We already get fairly often that our 2nd is named after me - I'm Christine, and she's Kirsten. Nope, nothing to do with each other. We both really liked the name Kirsten, and it is Norwegian, which is part of my husband's ethnic background.

I, however, would not have any trouble naming baby after a grandparent, but I would probably lean more toward doing what my parents did with me - using both of my grandmothers' middle names - one for my first name and one for my middle name. And each of my girls, except my oldest, has a family member's portion of a name as their middle name, and my youngest has 2 of her great-grandmothers' names - one for the first and one for the middle.

March 5th, 2013, 09:17 AM
anjawb's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen747 View Post
I agree with the majority here. I personally wouldn't use a family members name as a first name for a boy or girl. Middle name maybe. Having said that, I do think Alyssa Laine is a lovely suggestion!
I agree! although, I am realizing that with my moms 7 siblings, one is named after my grandmother, and one was named after my grandfather, and it was never weird.

My daughter will have a unique first name, and my mothers name as her middle name.

March 5th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dad is a Jr. but all his family calls him Bubba. I always thought it was weird too but he's been proud to have his Dad's name, especially when since his Dad passed away from Leukemia 1 1/2 yrs ago.

I'm not sure where I stand on naming a daughter after yourself, it seems a little strange to me. I guess the main reason is that I really dislike my first name (Melissa) and wouldn't want my poor daughter to have to use the name

Mommy to 4 boys

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search