Kind of Frightening

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jen747
  • 1 Post By ACMinAK
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2013, 07:33 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
So, last night, my husband suddenly wakes me up with, "Hey!! Change positions - you're not breathing." I find that a little hard to believe, but I'm wondering how long he waited before he woke me up to tell me that. Anyone else experienced this? I don't recall this being an issue before, but I wonder if that's what's waking me up sometimes at night. I think I gave him a little scare, although I was half afraid to go back to sleep after that!!!

March 5th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Veteran
Yikes how scary!!! Have you ever had any breathing problems or even sleep apnea? I have asthma and have been having trouble with my breathing off and on, especially lately due to size and position of baby. I wake up in the middle of the night and sit up quick (which is difficult in itself!) feeling like I can't get any air. My DH has sleep apnea and he stops breathing many times during the night but refuses to treat it.

March 5th, 2013, 07:51 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh man...what a way to be woken up! I sometimes have dreams (?) where I am laying in bed and can't move or breathe, and it's very scary. I've told DH before to wake me up if he ever notices me not breathing, but since he usually sleeps like a log, he'd probably not notice. Anyway...scary to think about! Hopefully you'd wake yourself up at some point if you did stop breathing...

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 5th, 2013, 08:09 AM
I've never been told that I have sleep apnea and no breathing problems at all, and as far as I know, this is not an issue I've ever had before. My hubby sleeps VERY soundly as well so had he not come to bed just a little before that and still been awake, I'm sure he wouldn't have known. It was just such a weird thing, and I was laying on my left side when it happened, which as we all know, is exactly how they tell us to lay. I suppose it's possible that this happens to me at other times, but my hubby has never mentioned it before so I think it's something new.

March 5th, 2013, 08:18 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH says that if I'm asleep these days, I'm snoring. It's totally a pregnancy thing for me. I mean, I snore sometimes when I'm not pregnant, but not like this. I'm sure my breathing is all messed up with swollen nose glands and extra blood and general squished insides. He hasn't said that I've stopped breathing with pregnancy, but he's been worried about me choking sometimes in the past. I actually went to a nose ear throat doc to see if they could recommend anything. (They gave me some steroid nose spray to help reduce the size of some stuff in there.)

Hopefully this will pass for you at the end of pregnancy and won't cause issues until then!

March 5th, 2013, 08:40 AM
anjawb's Avatar Super Mommy
wow I would be freaked out too. I dont think DF would notice if I wasn't breathing at night. Definitely not a nice thing to think about!

March 5th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is pretty scary! I didn't have a chance to not breath lastnight! Hubby has been feeling ill the past two days (I think it's allergies) and he literally fell asleep within two minutes of laying down lastnight. What sucked about this is that as soon as he passed out he started snoring....LOUD, louder than usual. I hardly got any sleep lastnight because of it.

He has woken me up a few times at night to have me turn over, mainly because the Dr. stressed that I lay on my left, even though I am much more comfy on my right.

Glad he was able to wake you up! I understand that it would be hard to fall back to sleep after that.

Mommy to 4 boys
March 5th, 2013, 10:39 AM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pregnancy does put you at a greater risk for obstructive sleep apnea, especially in the third trimester. OSA can lead to problems, from tiredness during the day to even blood pressure & cardiovascular issues. Hopefully it won't be a recurring issue for you, but if he notices again, maybe mention it to your doctor. It might be a simple fix, like wearing a mouth guard at night.
HalfDozen likes this.

March 5th, 2013, 10:59 AM
ACMinAK's Avatar Regular
That is very scary! I have not experienced this, but my husband tells me that I keep him up all night snoring... which I've never done before, but I can see how snoring and sleep apnea might be more common when pregnant..
Ltem45 likes this.
March 5th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen747 View Post
Pregnancy does put you at a greater risk for obstructive sleep apnea, especially in the third trimester. OSA can lead to problems, from tiredness during the day to even blood pressure & cardiovascular issues. Hopefully it won't be a recurring issue for you, but if he notices again, maybe mention it to your doctor. It might be a simple fix, like wearing a mouth guard at night.
Jen, good information!! I have an appointment with my midwife next week anyhow so I was planning on mentioning it, particularly where I was laying on my left side anyhow. He would only notice it if it happened when he came to bed since I am almost always asleep before him, but he's an EMT so I'm pretty sure he'll be watching out for it after last night since I kind of heard some alarm in his voice.
jen747 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search