Failed the Group B Strep test...

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By MaineBean
  • 1 Post By *Anya*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Veteran
Anyone else fail it too? Or have in the past? With my last pregnancy I passed and didn't have to think about it. I knew that it could change from pregnancy to pregnancy but I was still a little pissed I didn't pass this time lol. I know in the big scheme of things it's not a biggie, but add it to the painful contractions, the low amniotic fluid, the bed rest? I cried. Silly, I know. I told my doc I didn't want an iv! And she goes "oh honey, you were ALWAYS going to have an iv! You are way too high risk not to!" Ha. She misunderstood me, though, I thought I had to be hooked to it the WHOLE time. Really, you just get a dose every four hours and have the iv catheter in your arm the rest of the time. I can handle that! Anyway, just wondering what everyone else's experiences are with this?

March 5th, 2013, 11:13 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry! I know it seems like one more thing...but like you said, it the grand scheme of things, it is manageable. Just keep focusing on the goal at the end!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 5th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had Group B strep with #2 and #3. It really wasn't a big deal, just knew I had to get to the hospital as soon as my water broke/contractions were 4 min. apart.

Mommy to 4 boys
March 5th, 2013, 11:53 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I never had it with my first 3 but did with my 4th. They had me hooked up to a continuous IV, but I would have still been able to walk around with it. I didn't because I was on an epidural before they even started the induction, thinking they were going to do a version first, but she had flipped overnight. Anyhow, no, it's not really a big deal. I figured I wouldn't need the test this time since I was positive last time, but I guess they test every pregnancy because it can change. So, I won't know if it comes up positive or negative until after my 36-week check next week. I know it's just one more thing to add to the mix, but it's really not a big deal when they know about it ahead of time.

March 5th, 2013, 11:58 AM
LeedaRenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not a big deal. I didn't have it with my first pregnancy, but did with my second. I got my antibiotics and was good to go
March 5th, 2013, 12:10 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had it with a couple of the babies. I know I had it with #4, and that was the first time anyone told me you didn't have to have the IV constantly, that they could just do the saline lock. It's much easier to walk the halls without having to drag a stupid IV pole around with you!

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
March 5th, 2013, 12:48 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I had it with my first. It turned out to not be a big deal. I was on a continuous IV, but can't remember why. If I remember correctly, the medicine takes 20-30 min to run through you...and you also need a bag of saline before getting your epidural. I actually didn't feel like walking around so I stayed on or near the bed. I delivered vaginally and had my epidural at 4-5 cm. I was given pitocin too.

One suggestion: start taking probiotics now. It may help combat possible thrush, which can result from the large dose of antibiotics they give you at delivery. We dealt with thrush about 4 weeks post delivery. Annoying, but manageable.
March 5th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've had it in 3 pregnancies I believe. I'm pretty sure this one will be also. If anything would cause me to want to be induced this time, it would be if I was positive. My labors are so quick I would worry about getting enough doses.
I need to research it more and what could happen. I've never really looked into it.
March 5th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
my sister had it when she had my nephew ... she just had to go to the hospital right away when her water broke to get the antibiotics ... she said it was no big deal

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

March 5th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitt View Post
I've had it in 3 pregnancies I believe. I'm pretty sure this one will be also. If anything would cause me to want to be induced this time, it would be if I was positive. My labors are so quick I would worry about getting enough doses.
I need to research it more and what could happen. I've never really looked into it.
That's exactly my concern. My first labor was only 5.5 hours, and they say you go much quicker the second time. My sister was strep b positive, and had such a quick labor that they were only able to administer one dose. Because of this, she had to stay in the hospital for three extra days! It's nothing to mess with apparently, and can be very dangerous to mom and baby. I recognize that it's no big deal to some, but I just want to make sure it stays that way... always good to be prepared, right?! I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences with it, that definitely helps to hear.

March 5th, 2013, 07:00 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I'm not a medical professional so I'm hoping one of our L&D nurses will weigh in, but is there a reason that the meds can not be delivered BEFORE labor even begins? I know it's typically only a concern for a vaginal delivery and not a c-section, but is there a reason that the timing has to occur while you're actually in labor?

March 5th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes it has to be at the time of delivery. I think at least a couple doses in 4 hours to keep baby from getting it while being born. I'm pretty sure c-section moms still have to do it too? I guess just in case. It can cause breathing problems for the baby from what I've read
March 5th, 2013, 08:08 PM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
I was positive with DS and had the antibiotics. I really don't know that much about it and what complications it can cause. I remember my doctor just telling me it was no big deal. I have avoided learning more because I am a worrier and I just don't want another issue to add to my anxiety.
March 6th, 2013, 08:12 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
Scheduled Csection moms do not need it.. as they're not born vaginally where the group b strep has colonnaded. You cannot have it before because the medication is only effective for four hours. Hence why you have to have it every 4 hours (depending on which medication you need). It does not cause any complications for mom... however it is EXTREMELY serious in babies. You only have to see one GBS infected baby to know that it's nothing to mess around with. Lots of "natural" people will refuse the medication or refuse to be treated and one of the two babies we medflighted this year was from a mom who refused and the other was a mom who delivered too quickly to receive the medication. GBS babies can quickly end up with brain damage and be on ventilators and life support. Even if mom does get the appropriate amount of antibiotics, we still do checks on the baby every 2 hours for 48 hours. We don't have to wake the baby to check them we just make sure the baby is breathing evenly and unlabored.. that the baby's skin is pink, etc. Boston Children's Hospital is where we ship our babies and some of them do end up on ECMO which is terrifying. It's not a quick fix to treat these babies who do become infected and it's much easier to treat moms in labor to prevent all the awful complications. It is important to know that sometimes GBS that mom tests positive for can be resistant to certain antibiotics (or mom could have an allergy to penicillin, etc) Example: I am GBS+ this pregnancy and my particular strain is resistant to clindamycin and erythromycin. I am allergic to Penicillin. Therefore, I'll have Vancomycin in labor and it's every 12 hours instead of every 4.

Group B streptococcal septicemia of the newborn: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
CDC - GBS in Newborns and Pregnant Women - Group B Strep

and the test isn't pass or fail.. it's just whether your body currently has a colonization of it or not. It's either a positive result or negative.

March 6th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Gorjess
I tested positive with my first 2. With my 3rd, I went in for my appt for the testing and ended up getting sent to L&D for cause that my water was breaking, but it never did. I ended up going into labor anyways and since the results didn't come back in time, I was given the antibiotics to be safe. I haven't heard anything this time around so I'm assuming I came back negative.

March 6th, 2013, 01:31 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AmazedByYou~ View Post
Boston Children's Hospital is where we ship our babies ...
The subject of the post is no laughing matter, but this struck me as funny. It made me picture a loading dock of crates with babies ready for UPS or FedEx to pick up. "Oh, this wiggler has lost her packing slip. Print out another and get the strong tape before Joe from the mailroom comes here for pick up!"

I do realize I'm inappropriate, but I can't help sharing what my goofy brain comes up with sometimes.

March 6th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AmazedByYou~ View Post
Scheduled Csection moms do not need it.. as they're not born vaginally where the group b strep has colonnaded. You cannot have it before because the medication is only effective for four hours. Hence why you have to have it every 4 hours (depending on which medication you need). It does not cause any complications for mom... however it is EXTREMELY serious in babies. You only have to see one GBS infected baby to know that it's nothing to mess around with. Lots of "natural" people will refuse the medication or refuse to be treated and one of the two babies we medflighted this year was from a mom who refused and the other was a mom who delivered too quickly to receive the medication. GBS babies can quickly end up with brain damage and be on ventilators and life support. Even if mom does get the appropriate amount of antibiotics, we still do checks on the baby every 2 hours for 48 hours. We don't have to wake the baby to check them we just make sure the baby is breathing evenly and unlabored.. that the baby's skin is pink, etc. Boston Children's Hospital is where we ship our babies and some of them do end up on ECMO which is terrifying. It's not a quick fix to treat these babies who do become infected and it's much easier to treat moms in labor to prevent all the awful complications. It is important to know that sometimes GBS that mom tests positive for can be resistant to certain antibiotics (or mom could have an allergy to penicillin, etc) Example: I am GBS+ this pregnancy and my particular strain is resistant to clindamycin and erythromycin. I am allergic to Penicillin. Therefore, I'll have Vancomycin in labor and it's every 12 hours instead of every 4.

Group B streptococcal septicemia of the newborn: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
CDC - GBS in Newborns and Pregnant Women - Group B Strep

and the test isn't pass or fail.. it's just whether your body currently has a colonization of it or not. It's either a positive result or negative.

The test may not be pass or fail... but I sure feel like it. You have me completely freaked out now! Holy crap! I mean, it's definitely good to know and I prefer to be educated about everything, but darn that's scary stuff. Now I'm hoping my labor doesn't go TOO quickly...

March 6th, 2013, 05:09 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
If you go too fast (really, there is no rhyme or reason and I've seen many 2nd babies/labors take longer than firsts.) they still watch you, and any signs of issues with baby they treat them.

March 7th, 2013, 09:54 AM
melshaz@earthlnk.net's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Didn't have it with my first but just got the call today I have it this time. They said I will take prescribed antibiotics now and then when labor starts to come in right away for the IV. Scary but they said in most cases nothing to worry about.

March 7th, 2013, 10:58 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you think your labor might go too fast to get the antibiotics and you want them then I'd start doing some natural remedies to deal with it. Start supplements of probiotics and garlic, doing hibicleanse once a week etc. There are more I can post if you'd like. I have known women that tested positive started natural remedies retested 2-3 weeks later and were negative. A lot can change in a few weeks time, especially with some effort.
MommysPocket likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search