Tell me about your c section

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree18Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Veteran
I know there is still time and he could move, but since little guy is still breech my OB is trying to prepare me for having a c section. I had such great deliveries with my other two that I was not worried about the birth at all, but now that I am entering an unknown area to me I am trying to get as much info as I can ahead of time. I will be full term next week and if I go into labor anytime, and baby is still breech, they plan on emergency section. If I don't go into labor, I will have planned section April 2. For those of you who have had sections before what do I need to know to prepare or any words of wisdom?

March 5th, 2013, 03:15 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is breech vaginal birth out of question?
March 5th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Brock's minion
Visiting from May*
Have they tried turning LO if its an option for you? Have you researched any exercises that may help LO turn?

Michelle
March 5th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
Yes. My OB won't do it and he is pretty big already so not sure I would want to either. A friend of mine had breech vaginal birth with her 4th and said it was extremely difficult and she would never want to do it again. Had section for her last one.

March 5th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsbowbin View Post
Visiting from May*
Have they tried turning LO if its an option for you? Have you researched any exercises that may help LO turn?
They won't try to turn him until 39 weeks but my OB is on spring break with her kids when I turn 39 weeks so soonest she can do it is when I am a few days shy of 41 weeks. By then I am guessing he will be out already. I have done exercises on spinning baby.

March 5th, 2013, 03:42 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't remember a lot about my c/s, but the overall impression I have is that it wasn't so bad. But maybe my memory just sucks?

Things I know I didn't like:
- My arms had to strapped down like I was on a horizontal cross. I'm sure it's so I didn't start flailing around and so they could have the IVs in, but it made me feel very vulnerable. (I'm asking this week if it's really necessary if we do the repeat c/s.)

- I thought I was going to puke towards the end- possibly from the pressure on my gut, possibly from the meds. I held it together, but it was close.

- The amount of pushing and pressure to get baby out was no joke and a surprise. It was very uncomfortable and while I don't know if it hurt, it sure wasn't fun.

- My feet/ankles got REALLY fat and swollen after due to the meds. (I think it was c/s meds and not induction meds.) We called them Fiona Feet because they seriously looked like something out of Shrek.

- The first poop afterwards was horrible. It hurt to push and the meds once again slowed things down, so it was rough. This time I will take stool softeners early.

- It took a while for me to be able to hold baby and I will be asking this time about options for skin to skin MUCH sooner. I know I can't easily nurse while laying there getting the placenta out and getting sewn up, but I want to be able to hold baby sooner.

Other things to note:
- I was surprised I didn't have real stiches, just some glue stuff and sticky tape to hold me together. It wasn't a problem, but just a surprise.

- I couldn't do any scrubbing for quite a while of the incision site.

- That sticky tape was on my pubic hair- it might have been the most painful part of having them taken off!

- It was really nice not having my under carriage turned into minced meat and I did not feel bad about not pushing.

- I was really relaxed to get my anesthesia (sp?!) in my spine and it went really smoothly. The doc who had a student with him/her said that normally it wasn't that easy, but because I was able to bend forward and was so relaxed, it went in very smoothly.

- DH had to wait for me to get all prepped before he could come in to the O/R. So be aware that you might just be with hospital staff for a while until they let your SO in. Then after DS was out, DH was very perplexed about who he should tend to- me or baby. I had just been through major surgery but then baby was crying while getting weighed and cleaned and all that so he wasn't sure if he should go over there. I had to tell him I was fine and to go comfort baby- I knew what was going on and our son didn't.

That's all I can remember- it was a long 3.5 years ago and I'm SURE I've forgotten details both good and bad!

March 5th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had two. I think MaineBean pretty much hit the highlights. The pressure getting baby out was uncomfortable, not painful really but uncomfortable. I also was swollen up pretty bad my feet were HUGE but it was far worse with my first unplanned section than my second planned section reason being I had fluids pushed while laboring then more fluids for surgery the second time the swelling wasn't nearly as severe with just fluids for surgery. I also remember the awful nausea but again it was worse with my first unplanned and not nearly as bad the second time but I had also mentioned it to them and I believe they had meds at the ready to give me immediately or maybe even preventatively. I also got the chills after, uncontrollable shivers but they gave me a warmed blanket and it went away immediately. I was able to nurse both my babies in recovery but yeah no holding, skin to skin in the OR. My girlfriend just had her baby in Dec and she had him placed right on her and he latched right away. I am hopeful we can do this too (same hospital). Over all I had a great recovery both times. I have no major complaints, had no complications and thought it wasn't a horrible experience. I hope you get the birth you want BUT if you end up with a section just know it isn't awful!!
bananamagic likes this.

March 5th, 2013, 05:53 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The section itself wasn't that bad. The pressure and tugging is really weird.

It's the recovery that really sucked for me. It hurt to do anything, including sitting up to hold my baby, or breastfeed. Walking to the bathroom, GOING to the bathroom, showering.. all very painful.

I also feel I had a bit of a disconnection to the whole experience. I did not do labour, and I think that had something to do with it. Maybe I didn't have the right labor hormones surging through me or something.

Hopefully baby turns for you! But if not, just try to stay positive! Healthy baby out safely is the biggest concern, but it is nice to be prepared.
bananamagic likes this.
March 5th, 2013, 06:06 PM
MrsHoot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Popping in from October ddc- agree with the others that its really not that ba! You can feel the pulling and tugging. If your DH is really squeamish, make sure he doesn't look at the floor. Apparently it looked like a murder or something with all the blood.

The worst part is being numb for the first hours of your baby's life! You can't really move (or atkeast I couldn't) and it really sucked being so out of it when he was born. I missed some of that bonding time. It will also feel like forever until they bring him or her to you!!

Also, you usually have to wear these super loud and annoying things on your feet after. They squeeze out air and make sure that everything is flowing and not swelling.

March 5th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've also had two. My first one was after hours of labor, but the surgery itself was quick.

One thing I did not like was getting my pubic hair shaved off by a stranger. For my second (planned) c-section, I did that myself in advance. I'm sure it was groomed beforehand (for my first), but not completely shaved, and I did not like that being done by someone else.

It is fairly common to feel like you can't breathe, for a few seconds at least, when they first administer the medicine for the c-section. That can feel kinda scary, but maybe if you're prepared for it, you won't panic. I did start to panic because I was getting light-headed, too, and I asked to be turned to my other side (this was on my second c-section, before I was on my back for surgery), and once I turned I felt much better.

With my first, I don't remember much or any uncomfortable pressure when they were getting him out, but it was 6.5 years ago, so it's possible I just don't remember. With my second, his head was stuck because he was breech with severe hydrocephalus, so the surgery was much more complicated and not even really worth comparing to because of the unusual circumstances.

With my first, I had a reaction to the medicine which caused me to shake for a couple hours (warm blankets didn't stop it), and also caused bad itchiness on my face for a couple days. I don't know if that was from the c-section meds or the meds I was given during labor, or a combination of both.

It's important to try your best to get up and walking as soon as they start encouraging you to. You need to get your blood flowing to prevent blood clots, so even though you won't feel like it, be tough and get on your feet. And be diligent about the breathing exercises they ask you to do.

My first recovery was easy. I have never had a vaginal delivery, so I don't know how it compares, but I didn't find it to be that difficult. My second was harder, but again, I think that's because of the more difficult surgery that most people don't have to worry about. With my first, I was up and about 6 days later, feeling pretty normal.

Hopefully your LO will turn so you won't have to worry about it! But I agree with others that a c-section is not a terrible fate, either.
bananamagic and nameetog like this.
March 5th, 2013, 06:58 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
Most hospitals that I've been in won't consider this. I specifically asked that last time, and particularly if it's an induction, they don't want to. It also depends on the size of the baby, but more often than not, the answer is no. Apparently, there is just too much that can go wrong with a breech delivery, and many of them are not prepared/trained to handle it.

March 5th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Veteran
I don't want to repeat what everyone else said, but I'll try to give you my highlights:

It was a scheduled c-section because my body made zero progress toward releasing my little guy on its own. I was informed not to eator drink after midnight the night before. Scheduled for noon the next day. My doc had an emergent patient that he had to that take care that we found out about while we were doing paperwork, so we were sent back home until 5 that evening. Still no eating or drinking.

Groom yourself down there or they will do it for you. Uncomfortable to say the least.

Prepare to go into the operating room alone. And get the epidural alone. Scary, but I had a great, funny nurse that eased my nerves so much.

The tugging is very uncomfortable, the meds made me feel like I was going to be sick. I didn't, but it was touch and go.

After surgery. Felt better pretty quick. Numbness went away in couple of hours. Still nothing but ice chips. It's now been 22 hours since I put a piece of food in my mouth. Angry. My doctor promised I could eat as soon as I felt like I could keep something down. The nurses said nope. Not til MORNING! Are you kidding me? 36 hours? Seemed excessive to me. When he checked on me in the morning, he got an earful.

Four hours after surgery, the nurse comes in and says she wants me to get out of bed and walk to the wall and back. I thought she was crazy. I cried. They had JUST cut me in half, hadn't they?......do it. And do it often. It will be horrible the first few times, but it gets easier each time. And you'll feel better for it.

The first poo will be a doozy. Even with the stool softeners.

My doctor sent me home 2 days later telling me to take tylenol if I felt pain. He minimized what I was going to feel. And, unfortunately, it was a weekend, so I couldn't get a script until Monday. Make sure you leave with something just in case.

It was really painful to move around for about a week. Then you mostly forget...except for the numbness at the incision site that I, personally, felt for 6 months. Good times.

All in all, not horrible. I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff, I'm sure. But I wasn't scarred for life (well, except for my stomach) and baby was healthy and happy. Hopefully, it will work out the exact way you want to.
bananamagic likes this.
March 6th, 2013, 07:37 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have nothing to add, really, having never had one, but just wanted to say that this is all good information! I'm glad to have read it, just because you never know.

Oh, and my hospital will not do breech vaginal births--I asked last time.
Cortney6983 likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 6th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had an emergency c-section last time after a very long natural labor. The c section itself wasn't so bad but my recovery was very long. I had trouble getting around for a couple weeks and I didn't feel like I could safely lift my daughter for a couple weeks so my husband would hand her off to me and then take her away when I needed to stand up. I remember not driving for about 6 weeks and that was a real pain too.

I personally would have been in a lot of trouble if my husband hadn't been able to take a couple weeks off work since we didn't have anyone else around who could check on me or help if needed.

It was probably close to a year before I felt totally normal around the c-section site. That may not be normal but I really had to be aware of certain exercises and such for about a year.

I have heard that recoveries for planned c-sections are easier so if you do need one, hopefully that will be the case for you.
March 6th, 2013, 09:19 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
Do not shave with a regular razor close to your csection date.. it opens up a WHOLE OTHER world of infection. When they shave you at the hospital they do so with electric clippers which don't actually get down to the skin level.
Cortney6983 likes this.

March 6th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
Good question and good info!

March 6th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AmazedByYou~ View Post
Do not shave with a regular razor close to your csection date.. it opens up a WHOLE OTHER world of infection. When they shave you at the hospital they do so with electric clippers which don't actually get down to the skin level.
Good to know. I wouldn't have ever considered that.
March 6th, 2013, 12:44 PM
GraysMama's Avatar AKA marriedc
I had a planned c section with Grayson and I was calm throughout the whole experience. Being in Australia, things are done differently in some cases. Like my arms were never strapped down. I had a brilliant team around me of staff who kept me calm and I didn't get anxious or nervous at all. The tugging/pulling sensation is really weird and not something I've ever been able to describe lol.
When I felt nauseous i told the anesthesiologist and he gave me something. As soon as I was stitched/closed up, Grayson was placed on my chest (under towels but skin to skin) and we were wheeled into recovery. He stayed on my chest pretty much from that point on.
They didn't want me to walk until the next morning. But I was allowed to eat dinner (I can't even remember if I ate lunch or not lmao I was too in awe of my baby). The following morning I got up (with help) and showered etc.

Recovery for me wasn't bad. I had a few days where I definitely felt sore if I'd overdone it.

Siggy by Heather (Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* ) / View My Siggy Gallery // Request a Siggy

March 6th, 2013, 01:02 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AmazedByYou~ View Post
I find all the talk about shaving interesting and disturbing. I find it interesting because I totally wasn't touched at my c/s last time- bush remained a bush. I find it disturbing because I dont' WANT to be shaved- leave my pubes alone unless there is a real need, which I have to believe their isn't given last time it didn't happen. The last thing I want is regrowth itch where I'm not supposed to scratch! (Amazed- I'd be more than happy to have clippers to not deal with razor burn or itch. I'm still going ot ask for no shaving at all.)

March 6th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBean View Post
I find all the talk about shaving interesting and disturbing. I find it interesting because I totally wasn't touched at my c/s last time- bush remained a bush. I find it disturbing because I dont' WANT to be shaved- leave my pubes alone unless there is a real need, which I have to believe their isn't given last time it didn't happen. The last thing I want is regrowth itch where I'm not supposed to scratch! (Amazed- I'd be more than happy to have clippers to not deal with razor burn or itch. I'm still going ot ask for no shaving at all.)
Yes! Leave my pubes alone!
bananamagic likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search