BTDT Moms: Tricks that helped you during labor..

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree38Likes
  • 1 Post By MsRK
  • 1 Post By alyssabeth2685
  • 4 Post By *Anya*
  • 3 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 3 Post By AngieLMG
  • 2 Post By *Anya*
  • 1 Post By MsRK
  • 4 Post By Kennydra
  • 2 Post By Purple_cat
  • 1 Post By *Anya*
  • 1 Post By mama3o
  • 1 Post By Tamimomof5
  • 4 Post By plastikmom
  • 2 Post By Kennydra
  • 1 Post By Purple_cat
  • 1 Post By Atank03
  • 4 Post By ~AmazedByYou~
  • 2 Post By rverrone11

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2013, 02:03 PM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The doctor told me that they have a lot of things for me to help with comfort so that I can labor as long as possible without an epi.. Like the exercise ball that I can bounce on, whirlpool tub, shower, walking around ..etc..

During your labor what tricks did you notice helped you bear through the discomfort/pain the most?
Cortney6983 likes this.
March 7th, 2013, 02:08 PM
alyssabeth2685's Avatar Veteran
I do not mean to brag - but I didn't ever have to really last through labor... eVen with no epi or any drug it was just kinda wam bam thank you mam... out comes baby. I had Pitocin both times and it labor wasn't unbearable until I was like an 8 and then it was time to push...
But my mom always told me that when a contraction came on walking in place like a soldier, bringing your knees high as you can helped her. In watching a lot of techniques I would think the birthing ball and the hot tub would be awesome. I would like to try that.
MsRK likes this.

March 7th, 2013, 02:42 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The tub helped me, counter pressure on my back, walking if I was too tired laying on my side or bunch a few pillows under my head/ chest and sort of be on all 4s. On my back was the worst, even in earlier labor it was unbearable. Relaxing with contractions and letting them do the work, that got harder as I got more tired and they got more intense. Letting go of any mental reservations (am I being too loud, do I look stupid doing this etc) you are birthing a baby let nature take over Good luck mama, you got this!
March 7th, 2013, 02:43 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not much help...I didn't have access to a birthing tub or anything like that. The only thing I remember that helped me through the contractions was focusing on a particular object, and deep breathing. That got me through until I got my epidural.
jen747, MsRK and Atank03 like this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 7th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Veteran
Definitely the tub and birthing ball! And as weird as it sounds, I labored on the toilet quite a bit. It's your body's most normal way to "push", so to speak, and can offer a lot of relief.
*Anya*, Tamimomof5 and MsRK like this.

March 7th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Here are some things hubby can do for you to help too
Counter Pressure Hip Squeeze.MP4 - YouTube

I did the hip squeeze for my sister when she was in labor last time and she loved it, my arms were so sore the next day lol! They say you can't push too hard or squeeze too hard a laboring woman
ThaiSpice and MsRK like this.
March 7th, 2013, 03:10 PM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
Here are some things hubby can do for you to help too
Counter Pressure Hip Squeeze.MP4 - YouTube

I did the hip squeeze for my sister when she was in labor last time and she loved it, my arms were so sore the next day lol! They say you can't push too hard or squeeze too hard a laboring woman
This is awesome... Thank you. We learned this during the childbirth class as well but she just talked about how to do it. It's nice to see it demostrated. I'm going to pass this along to DH!
*Anya* likes this.
March 7th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Kennydra's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just tried to breathe through contractions as much as possible and I found that visualization helped. By that I mean like visualizing a closed flower, blooming and opening and basically picturing my cervix in that way. Sounds a little cooky saying it, but I really do think it helped! DH massaging my lower back helped as well, especially with my first since he was "sunny side up" I had a lot of back labor. Also I recently read this on my pregnancy update ticker thingy and found it to be good advice:

"Okay superwoman, it's time to talk about labor and how you plan to cope.

Get this into your head right now -- LABOR PAIN IS GOOD PAIN -- it's good for you and it's good for your baby.

Yes, contractions hurt, but unlike the pain of injury, it hurts because your muscles are being used in a way they've never been used before (or only rarely).

If you've been living under a rock: contractions are literally the slow process of squeezing your baby - via uterine muscular waves of motion, down your uterus into the birth canal.

So - basically, your muscles are going to be like, "YO - THIS IS HARD!" when they're talking to your nerves, who'll be delivering these messages to your brain afterward, which you will then experience as pain.

The important part of this process is your mental and emotional acceptance of this pain as good, rather than something upsetting that must be avoided.

LABOR PAIN IS GOOD PAIN because your body is working really hard to do something that's incredibly important.

As Captain Obvious would say, "That's why they call it labor."

It might not feel good, but let's be realistic here: how many times will your uterus do this job? All Duggar jokes aside, it's obviously a unique situation for your body.

Labor gets a bad rap because of the pain of contractions, but if you look at the big picture - beyond the pain, you'd see that your labor is an act of epic earth-shattering proportions.

Come on! It's the act of giving life, after all!

Even if you are a pain-pansy, you need to come to terms with two things: 1) labor will hurt and that's okay and 2) the more you accept the pain as good, the less it will hurt.

Regardless of whether you get an epidural and in spite of their popularity, every one of us would do well to remember that pain is a normal and important part of life.

Your brain's pain system usually warns you when something is wrong or broken, but this time - if you listen to your body and take the time to understand the epic nature of what's happening inside of you, you might begin to understand that a change of such amazing proportions is taking place inside of you that your entire body (pain signaling system included) cries out in its efforts to bear life.

One last time, just so you remember: LABOR PAIN IS GOOD PAIN."

Pregnancy Calendar Week 35
*Anya*, AngieLMG, MsRK and 1 others like this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 7th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The thing that helped me the most was relaxing through contractions. It didn't feel like the most natural thing to do at the time but I do think that it really helped. I also labored in the tub quite a bit and I liked that. When I was out of the tub I liked when people rubbed/ put pressure on my back during contractions.
Tamimomof5 and MsRK like this.
March 7th, 2013, 06:28 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
great question! Looking forward to more answers!
March 7th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Kennydra I love that!
Kennydra likes this.
March 8th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Thai Spice... I don't have any good advice. The epidural! With my first 2 I tried to wait it out, and then the third time around I had it before I even was having contractions. My 3rd delivery was wonderful!!! I even felt amazing afterwards!!! But I am not good with pain.
MsRK likes this.
March 8th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Tamimomof5's Avatar Super Mommy
I found that the tub helped me to relax and walking helped things to progress quickly.
MsRK likes this.
March 8th, 2013, 05:34 AM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
what tricks did you notice helped you bear through the discomfort/pain the most?
The epidural. Yep, I apparently have no pain tolerance. Oh well. There are no super mommy bonus points awarded for going natural. You still get to snuggle your sweet baby after all is said and done. I respect everyone's decisions and would love to have the ability to give birth naturally, but its just not for me (or the other women in labor who would have to hear me screaming). I went into my first labor wanting a natural birth and I did try the ball and the tub. I had never been in pain before in my life, so I had no reason to think I couldn't handle it. Well I couldn't. My advice, try the tricks to help with the pain that the other ladies have suggested. If they don't work, its not the end of the world. You are not a failure. I really struggled the first time because I could not deal with the pain and ended up with an epi against my plan and felt badly about it. Silly me. I now realize there is no shame in needing some medical assistance to deal with the discomfort if other methods don't work for you.
March 8th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Kennydra's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
Kennydra I love that!
Thanks, I thought it was cool too! Kind of helped me to put things into perspective and was a good reminder about the pain of labor.
*Anya* and alyssabeth2685 like this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 8th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I forgot to add that it really helped me to know the progression of labor. There is a stage near the end that people people refer to as "transition" where the contractions are stronger and closer together. After you make it through that phase things do actually improve again. I could tell when my body was going through transition and that helped me cope with it and move past it.
MsRK likes this.
March 8th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Atank03's Avatar Veteran
Taking deep breaths helped me the most through the contractions, I never got to try the tubs or showers or a ball, I might ask to do that this time just to try.
MsRK likes this.
March 8th, 2013, 12:54 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
Tub. Tub Tub Tub... and shower. Counter pressure... cold cloths on my forehead (like.. a bucket of ice and water next to the bed/tub to dunk them in to make them cold again) music.. and nobody speaking. No nurses.. no husband.. nothing. Once he'd start to talk I wanted to punch him in the junk. LOL
*Anya*, Tamimomof5, MsRK and 1 others like this.

March 8th, 2013, 05:52 PM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AmazedByYou~ View Post
and nobody speaking.
This reminded me of when I was in labor, and my MIL was reading aloud from the newspaper. She talks A LOT as it is, but hearing her read and then comment on every article-- I don't know how I didn't fly off the handle. Completely irritating. I already talked to DH about it & told him I do not want her there until after baby is born this time.

March 8th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The tub helped out a lot. I'm nervous to have no tub available to me this time because it is so relaxing. Walking was horrible for me. I don't like anyone touching me during labor unless I need help changing position or something like that. Oh, and making a low humming sound instead of any high pitched sounds is supposed to help...kind of like just moaning through the contractions.
~AmazedByYou~ and MsRK like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search