Induction?

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree22Likes
  • 5 Post By *Anya*
  • 3 Post By CrochetingMama
  • 3 Post By MaineBean
  • 1 Post By MsRK
  • 1 Post By bananamagic
  • 2 Post By Mel_Kay
  • 2 Post By Sneetch
  • 2 Post By ~AmazedByYou~
  • 1 Post By ~AmazedByYou~
  • 2 Post By Twirlbird

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2013, 12:39 AM
nikki-pie's Avatar Expecting #1 Apr 5th!!
Since the Dr says my body is ready to go into active labor anytime, and she is concerned about the little guys size and brought up a c section i am half expecting at this weeks appointment for my OB to suggest induction since i will be "to term" any information about induction from BTDT moms?
March 12th, 2013, 12:56 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You are not full term till 39 weeks, induction increases your chances of a c-section by 50% I believe. Doing so solely based on "big baby" is pretty silly IMO, you don't know what your body can handle when you haven't even tried.

Last edited by *Anya*; March 12th, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
March 12th, 2013, 04:32 AM
2XlinkedPHkids
I agree with Anya. Size estimates from US can be off by like 1.5 - 2 lbs in either direction. She might have guestimated your baby's size to be 7 (or something. I don't recall exactly what you might have said your baby weighs. Just using a number) but that means that you could also just have a little 5 lber floating in there. Or a 9 lber. There's no way of knowing until you have the baby.

March 12th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Many doctors are quick to jump to c-section and induction, before letting the body do what it's meant to do. If they are that concerned, you could suggest them checking via ultrasound. I know it's a hard call as much as you probably are ready to be done being pregnant, but unless its an emergency, I try to avoid any extra stuff....(other than pain medicine)
March 12th, 2013, 06:49 AM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would give your body a chance. I was induced with DD expecting a 7.5 lber and ended up with. 9 lb 7 oz baby and the delivery was great. So as far as being induced, while I would wait as long as possible, it's also nothing like the stories you hear, IMO. The contractions did seem to come on harder faster but it was also my first so I have nothing to compare it too. But I wouldn't say it was extremely different from going into labor on your own.

March 12th, 2013, 07:16 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also agree that it's not possible to know how big the baby is, so without some medically necessary reason, I'd be really hesitant to go with an induction just because of a size prediction. I can only tell you what I would do, and that is to wait and see.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 12th, 2013, 08:01 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I would also wait and see. I've had 2 inductions - 1 early baby and 1 late baby. The late baby (my 1st) was WAY easier. I would be hesitant to schedule an early induction without some medical necessity, other than just large size of baby.

New picture in progress......
March 12th, 2013, 08:04 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Another BTDT mom who thinks that sounds crazy. I'm of the opinion that our bodies are smarter than we are. So it ought to know when baby is actually ready to come out. While baby would probably be fine and healthy coming out at 37 weeks, there is a reason gestation is designed to last closer to 40- there is more development designed to happen in those weeks. If you body ousts the kiddo, ok. But if you aren't ready to give birth, and induction is going to be counterintuitive to what your body wants.

I see no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to let nature take its course. Esp, like others said, on a size estimate. I shared last week that last pregnancy at 41 weeks the u/s tech thought my kid was on the upper 8 to 9 lbs range. My OB did a hands on guesstimate and said "there is no way baby is that big." She was right- he was 7 lbs 5 oz. (I ended up with a c/s at 42 weeks after my 36 hour induction didn't really go anywhere and things were seeming to fall apart in there- but my OB let my body run its course.

If I were you, I'd be saying no. Even if baby is 10 lbs at birth, plenty of women have given birth to big babies the normal exit route. Just because baby is big, that doesn't mean you have to have a c/s.

March 12th, 2013, 09:38 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have they done an ultrasound to confirm that baby is THAT big?
And my mother was short and petite when she had me and she gave birth to me vaginally. I was 11lbs!! *lol* If the ONLY reason that they want to induce you at 37 weeks is baby size I would fight to AT LEAST carry until week 39.

If you have other health problems then that changes things and you have to do whats best for you and baby's health. I am being induced at week 37 because of my Pre-E and I'm getting more panicked by the hour... If I could I would keep him in at least two weeks longer. But its too risky so out he comes...

Just try to exhaust all of your avenues first before you let them talk induction. I even started crying in front of my poor OB and he had to spend time comforting and convincing me that it was for the best. I did NOT want them taking him so early. But had to come to grips with it because of the high risks involved.
Kennydra likes this.
March 12th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Veteran
I have never had an induction. Since your Dr says you are ready to go into labor anytime, it would seem to make more sense to me to just wait until you do since you are only coming up on 37 weeks. I would be surprised your Dr would induce based on size alone that early, especially with all the errors that seem to go on regarding size of babies before they are born. I know in my case my little guy is still sitting happily in breech position, but my Dr is waiting for me to go into labor before she does anything and won't even be scheduling me for c section until 40 weeks even knowing this guy is not coming out any other way.
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

March 12th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Most Drs will not induce until at least 39 weeks (unless medically necessary). I was told with my second that he would be a big baby....Dr. never once considered inducing me! I ended up having him at 37.5 weeks weighing 7lbs 2oz. Please just wait on your body to decide it is ready, or at least wait until 39 weeks. There's no reason to rush this baby out of his home unless it's dangerous for baby.

I have a friend who just had her first baby via c-section at 39 weeks. The reason they did a c-section is because she has a shunt in her brain and the Drs were worried that pushing vaginally would cause problems. Her baby, although 39 weeks and 8 1/2lbs still had issues. He spent a week in the nicu with troubles eating.

Mommy to 4 boys
March 12th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I deffinately want to schedule an ultrasound if she wants to do that, to check the size of my pelvis, big baby or not it depends on how big i am on the inside that seems to be more what she is concerned with is my size but there is no way to figure that out without medical imaging. I deffinately want to keep him in there as long as possible! Lol unlessof course he wants to over stay his welcome
March 12th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommysPocket View Post
... So as far as being induced, while I would wait as long as possible, it's also nothing like the stories you hear, IMO. The contractions did seem to come on harder faster but it was also my first so I have nothing to compare it too. But I wouldn't say it was extremely different from going into labor on your own.
I agree. My induction was not bad, but it wasn't until almost 41 weeks. (And did end in a c-section, for the record.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBean View Post
I ended up with a c/s at 42 weeks after my 36 hour induction didn't really go anywhere and things were seeming to fall apart in there- but my OB let my body run its course.
This sounds a lot like my first. My body just went kaput after 14 hours and my contractions were getting weaker and farther apart, and DS started to be in distress. But we tried!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-pie View Post
I deffinately want to schedule an ultrasound if she wants to do that, to check the size of my pelvis, big baby or not it depends on how big i am on the inside that seems to be more what she is concerned with is my size but there is no way to figure that out without medical imaging.
My doctors have told me I have a narrow pelvis, which was, maybe, part of the reason for my first c-section. However, my perinatologist with my last pregnancy says he doesn't think it makes much difference (same for baby's head size, according to him). I still have to think it makes SOME difference, but that's what he said.

In my state, it's illegal to induce or do a c-section before 39 weeks. There are some exceptions, but they are strict about it.
March 12th, 2013, 05:46 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
They cannot really tell the size of your pelvis by ultrasound.. your doctor would have a better ability to tell just by checking your cervix and the baby's head position. It isn't baby size... or mom's pelvis size.. it's a combination of both. I've seen 7lb babies with massive shoulder dystocias and I've seen 11lb babies come out of vaginas like they're being shot from a rocket. You just never know, and I sure as hell wouldn't agree to an induction based on her "guess". If your fundal height was like... 48cm, i'd think about it.

delivered a 12lb 13oz baby a few years ago.. mom was super little! Narrow hips, short, the whole nine yards.
*Anya* and nikki-pie like this.

Last edited by ~AmazedByYou~; March 12th, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
March 12th, 2013, 05:52 PM
and this winner was delivered vaginally too right around the corner from my house!
Mom gives birth to 13 lb 2 oz baby in Methuen - Boston News, New England News, WHDH-TV 7NEWS WHDH.COM
*Anya* likes this.

March 12th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My doctor brought up induction at my 36 week appt. he was trying to schedule it for the 39th week though. He said due to Obama care 39 weeks is the rule unless medically necessary.
March 13th, 2013, 11:41 AM
It's not just because of Obamacare. It's illegal to induce prior to 39 weeks without a documented medical reason. Can't just say "oh baby is big" when baby measured on target the whole pregnancy. Doesn't work like that.

March 13th, 2013, 03:45 PM
He has been measuring big since about the halfway point, my last ultrasound they suggested that my due date be changed... But my OB didnt want to change it based on size... Its all very confusing!! I will just be happy when he decides to come out on his own and i don't have to worry about it anymore! i think that next time i may choose a different OB, i like mine but i really do question her
March 13th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
I would flat out deny any changes to the dd at this point. After the first trimester they get very inaccurate. This late in the game pfft.

I agree with the other ladies, wait and see whats gonna happen. If your so close to labour especially leave it.
~AmazedByYou~ and *Anya* like this.
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search