Jury duty

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By CrunchyMommaTo2
  • 1 Post By nameetog
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2013, 05:31 AM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
So in the mail I got a jury duty summons for April 8th. (I'm due the 22nd). It says you can get a doctor's note to get out of it for medical reasons, and I'm sure pregnancy qualifies. However, this is my third summons in about a year's time. I got out of the first two with a letter from my employer claiming hardship in the office without me there. She said she would be unable to do needed surgeries without me (ha, since when is a breast augmentation a needed surgery??) But I was okay with her doing that because I would have lost pay if I had to take all that time off to serve ( I think the court pays you like $15 a day and my employer does not make up the rest). Well now I am thinking I should just show up really pregnant and they will not choose me and maybe they will leave me alone for a while?? I don't want to leave a 4 month old to go serve and it seems I get a summons every 4-5 months at least. Right now I don't care about lost pay and I'd rather go sit in a court room then go to work. What do you think??
March 14th, 2013, 05:47 AM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommywannabe Send a message via MSN to mommywannabe Send a message via Yahoo to mommywannabe
I would just go. They might still pick you, but when they ask everyone if there is any reason that they feel they can't serve on the jury you can say that you require frequent bathroom breaks & that you are within so many days of your due date so you could also go into labor at any time. I've personally seen that done, lol, and it worked. They dismissed that juror.
Plus, it'd give you part of a day to sit back and rest a little! Haha

March 14th, 2013, 06:56 AM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
I'd rather go now and get out of being selected and then be good for a few years rather than get another summons with a newborn.

March 14th, 2013, 08:26 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
I'd certainly go now. Better than going with a breastfeeding child/newborn/young infant.

March 14th, 2013, 08:31 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think there's any "time out" period around here...just because a person has duty now doesn't exempt them from doing it again within any given time period...but that could just be here. At any rate, in your situation I'd probably go ahead and go. Chances are you won't be selected anyway.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 14th, 2013, 08:36 AM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had jury duty this week, but when I called the day before, I ended up being dismissed & not having to go. As far as I know, pregnancy isn't an excuse, unless you're having complications of course. But I felt the same way...if it was going to be longer than a day, what are the chances of them actually picking me?! I don't know if the laws are different everywhere, but here I think you can only defer three times total, and you can't be summoned more than once a year. Like the others said, I figured it would be better to get it over with now than get called again while I'm bfing (and have to hope for a deferral then). As much as it may suck, I'd just go.

March 14th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would go now. It is unlikely that you would get picked anyway and if you did maybe you could go into labor during the trial. Wouldn't that make a fun story to tell your kids?

Plus a day of being forced to sit down might be a good break for you.
March 14th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd go now too. If you get picked here you are exempt for I think 3 years and if you are summonsed and don't get picked you still get a year off. I think that was the deal in MA anyway. I'd MUCH rather go now than with a nursling at home
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

March 14th, 2013, 10:44 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I would go now, too. I actually served on a jury when I was pregnant with my 3rd. It was a week-long trial, and at the end, I found out I was the alternate. I think they did that on purpose because they thought I was farther along than I was, and they were worried I wouldn't last the whole trial, but they didn't have any reason to exclude me from the jury, other than pregnancy. Again, that's just speculation.
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

March 14th, 2013, 01:05 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I was summoned over 3 years ago when I was pregnant with my first. I deferred bc I didn't want to deal with it. Plus I was paranoid about being around all the germs anyway. Haven't been summoned since.
March 14th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd go and get it over with, however....They don't necessarily make you go if you are your primary caregiver of a young child...especially if you are nursing... So you could do either away.
March 14th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Super Mommy
I would go now as well! The fact that you have deferred twice and they keep sending you the summons is a good indicator that you will be called while at home with a new baby!
March 14th, 2013, 06:36 PM
May 2013 Cohost
But if you are the primary caregiver of a young child and are nursing, you can easily get out of jury duty again...I wouldn't let the future worry you.
March 14th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You can easily get out of jury duty with a new baby at home. But I would still go now because they probably won't pick you.

March 15th, 2013, 05:05 AM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. I'm glad you think I should go, because that was my gut feeling, but I didn't know if it was crazy to walk into a court house at 38 weeks pregnant! I am counting on the fact that they won't pick me! But even if they do, it will be a break from work!!
March 15th, 2013, 03:21 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the others too. They'd be crazy to pick you and even if they did and you went into labor, they'd have to call in their alternate.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search