Lookie what I got!

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2013, 02:49 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
[IMG] IMG_4918 by Lily'n'George's, on Flickr[/IMG]

24 flats, 12 prefolds, 6 covers, 4 pockets, 2 all-in-ones, buncha inserts, 12 cloth wipes, 3 snappis, and some CD compatible creme.

Not pictured are the 20 pre-folds (10 infant, 10 regular), and 24 cloth wipes that I'm waiting on from E-bay. Also have a wetbag.

Good stash? (Seriously - am I missing anything obvious? )
MommysPocket likes this.

March 15th, 2013, 03:03 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that's a good start! how big is the wet bag? Do you have somewhere to put dirty diapers at home while waiting for laundry? Other than that I think you have a good place to start and can add and change things as you go and figure out what works best
March 15th, 2013, 03:07 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
I think that's a good start! how big is the wet bag? Do you have somewhere to put dirty diapers at home while waiting for laundry? Other than that I think you have a good place to start and can add and change things as you go and figure out what works best

Its big enough to hold several diapers. Couldn't give you an exact count though.

I thought we could put dirty diapers in the wetbag at home?? We plan on using sposies when out.

March 15th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So exciting!!
March 15th, 2013, 03:23 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I saw on some website I found on Pinterest this lady had a trash can type of thing with a washable liner. She put her diapers in that while at home and then washed the liner when she washed the diapers. I think I'm going to do that.

Anyway, looks good! I only have 4 all-in-ones; I really need to get shopping!!
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
March 15th, 2013, 03:31 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlorrain View Post
I saw on some website I found on Pinterest this lady had a trash can type of thing with a washable liner. She put her diapers in that while at home and then washed the liner when she washed the diapers. I think I'm going to do that.

Anyway, looks good! I only have 4 all-in-ones; I really need to get shopping!!

This is what I do. I have a wetbag pail liner and have one of the trash barrels with the revolving top because you do NOT want one that is completely sealed.. causes nasty stink believe it or not.

Also.. you want to make sure you prep those prefolds before using them. wash them a bunch of times and be very careful ordering stuff off ebay. Just because they say "prefolds" doesn't mean they're going to be absorbant. Like the gerber prefolds you can buy at babies r us... they are good for nothing besides maybe spit up. prefolds aren't expensive to start with, so it's really worth it to get ones that will hold up, won't unravel, and are absorbant. Like GMD (green mountain diapers) prefolds.

March 15th, 2013, 04:41 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AmazedByYou~ View Post
This is what I do. I have a wetbag pail liner and have one of the trash barrels with the revolving top because you do NOT want one that is completely sealed.. causes nasty stink believe it or not.

Also.. you want to make sure you prep those prefolds before using them. wash them a bunch of times and be very careful ordering stuff off ebay. Just because they say "prefolds" doesn't mean they're going to be absorbant. Like the gerber prefolds you can buy at babies r us... they are good for nothing besides maybe spit up. prefolds aren't expensive to start with, so it's really worth it to get ones that will hold up, won't unravel, and are absorbant. Like GMD (green mountain diapers) prefolds.

The prefolds I got I was comfortable ordering. I think they're chinese DSQ. anyways, I know they're one of the two common brands that people like. I stay well away from Gerber. I've heard bad things about them!

I was planning on running the flats, prefolds, inserts, and wipes about 10 times. The AOIs and pockets 5 times. The covers twice. How's that sound?

March 15th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I washed my covers only once, don't see the need to waste any more water on them lol. I don't fully prep my new diapers, I usually throw them in whatever laundry I'm doing (I use gentle natural detergents, if you use something harsher for your regular laundry don't do this) and then last time in diaper laundry. I keep in mind that they are not fully prepped the first few uses and change baby more often. Has worked for me this way As for at home storage, you can use a wet bag at home if it holds enough, if you are diapering full time you'll have about 25+ diapers in between laundry days so make sure you have a wet bag big enough. I do like Rebecca, buy a garbage can and put a pail liner in it,
I got this can http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-wh..._qi_detaillink

and these liners, I get 2 and rotate, so that when one goes in the wash I have a clean one ready to go to
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Wise-Di...per+pail+liner

Last edited by *Anya*; March 15th, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
March 15th, 2013, 05:03 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
I washed my covers only once, don't see the need to waste any more water on them lol. I don't fully prep my new diapers, I usually throw them in whatever laundry I'm doing (I use gentle natural detergents, if you use something harsher for your regular laundry don't do this) and then last time in diaper laundry. I keep in mind that they are not fully prepped the first few uses and change baby more often. Has worked for me this way As for at home storage, you can use a wet bag at home if it holds enough, if you are diapering full time you'll have about 25+ diapers in between laundry days so make sure you have a wet bag big enough. I do like Rebecca, buy a garbage can and put a pail liner in it,
I got this can http://www.target.com/p/sterilite-wh..._qi_detaillink

and these liners, I get 2 and rotate, so that when one goes in the wash I have a clean one ready to go to
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Wise-Di...per+pail+liner
I will look into getting that can and a couple liners.

We plan on doing sposies when we go out, and overnight unless we find an overnight combination w/ the cloth that works really well.

As for detergent, we're making our own and going to be doing all our clothes in it so that there's no residue in the washer. 32 oz Dr. Bronners Mild-Baby Organic soap, washing soda, and baking soda. Mix that together and you use 1 tbsp per cloth diaper load and 2 per regular clothing load.

I really really trust the lady who gave me that recipe and cost wise its going to save us a bundle in the long run.

March 15th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I also use a plastic trash can and two liners for at home diaper storage. I do cloth out and about, to be honest I never thought I would but with my son I found it easier to just cloth all the time instead of oops I left the house in a cloth diaper and now I have no wet bag to put it in type scenario. I love your stash, looks like you've got a great intro to cloth there!!

March 15th, 2013, 05:24 PM
sounds like you got most of it figured out

OT but where do you find washing soda? I've been looking and haven't had any luck yet
March 15th, 2013, 05:31 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda - found it at my local Krogers. I couldn't find regular washing soda, but I asked my friend and she said the SWS would be fine.

If you want, you can make your own washing soda... basically you just bake baking soda in the oven at 400 degrees for x amount of time...

http://naturesnurtureblog.com/2012/0...-washing-soda/

=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameetog View Post
I also use a plastic trash can and two liners for at home diaper storage. I do cloth out and about, to be honest I never thought I would but with my son I found it easier to just cloth all the time instead of oops I left the house in a cloth diaper and now I have no wet bag to put it in type scenario. I love your stash, looks like you've got a great intro to cloth there!!
Good point. I guess I'm just nervous about a massive blowout or something. lol

March 15th, 2013, 05:47 PM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
We are using a very similar homemade detergent. Found washing soda at Walmart.

We also use a trash can and two pail liners. Wet bag for when we will be out.

March 15th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrochetingMama View Post
Good point. I guess I'm just nervous about a massive blowout or something. lol

Cloth is so much better at containing blow outs! my daughter used to have almost one a day in sposies, and maybe 2 or 3 in cloth over a period of 2 years lol.

I checked target and they don't have washing soda, neither does wholefoods. I was planning on checking safeway, I refuse to give walmart any sort of business or even step my foot in there lol. I was also going to check home depot and OSH.
nameetog likes this.
March 15th, 2013, 06:21 PM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
Try amazon if you can't find it elsewhere. Might be a little more expensive.

March 15th, 2013, 06:26 PM
amazon does have it but charges a lot for shipping, which I guess is understandable haha.
lol just double checked, and shipping is free but the whole thing costs almost twice as much (which is still not all that much) I guess that's how they make up for the shipping costs haha

Last edited by *Anya*; March 15th, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
March 15th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I also find cloth better at preventing blowouts. You'll figure out what works for your family. I was surprised at how much I liked cloth I did it originally because I have such sensitive skin and I was worried he would too. Turns out I was right he does but I'm glad I had already decided to cloth

March 15th, 2013, 08:22 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameetog View Post
I also find cloth better at preventing blowouts. You'll figure out what works for your family. I was surprised at how much I liked cloth I did it originally because I have such sensitive skin and I was worried he would too. Turns out I was right he does but I'm glad I had already decided to cloth
I guess blowouts was really the wrong thing to say. I have read a couple places that they prevented blowouts better.

I'm more worried about massive soak-through-everything leaks.

March 15th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Veteran
That's so exciting! You will not regret cloth diapering!! We just have a lidded garbage pail to keep dirties in at home, too. One thing I'd really recommend is a little sprayer that attaches to your toilet. We use it to spray the poop out of diapers, and that way the garbage pail is not so stinky, and we can just dump in the washer without a second thought. Just my two cents.

http://www.nellsnaturalbaby.com/bumG...yer_p_103.html

March 15th, 2013, 09:56 PM
I want to get a diaper sprayer this time, didn't have one with my daughter and would buy the flushable liners and then scrape off with toilet paper what the liner didn't catch. Lucky me her poop was never solid *sarcasm* lol.
But to be clear you don't need to worry about that if your baby is EBF, only if you end up using formula or otherwise when baby starts solids. EBF poop is completely water soluble so just toss the whole thing in

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search