Membrane Sweep??

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By *Anya*
  • 2 Post By Purple_cat
  • 1 Post By Kennydra

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2013, 05:00 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My MW mentioned maybe doing a membrane sweep later on in the pregnancy, I can't remember which week.

Anyone have any experience with this? What its like?, did it work? Is it worth doing?
March 15th, 2013, 05:26 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have some friends that did and it worked, other's it didn't. I'm opting out, unless I get over 42 weeks then I might consider it. Might lol. I don't see the need, I have faith that when my body and baby are ready labor will start Unless I'm borderline medical issues of course then yes I would try a sweep before a hospital induction.
March 15th, 2013, 05:28 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
Depending on if you're dilated or not... it hurts. They're basically putting their fingers through your cervix to get to your membranes and running their finger along the bag to separate it from your cervix which releases prostaglandins which may help start labor.

March 15th, 2013, 06:11 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would agree that it's kind of ouchy and hit or miss. When I was 40 weeks, I had my OB do it. Nuthin. When I was 41 weeks, she did it more enthusiastically. Nuthin.

March 15th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had it done with my last two, it worked both times for me. My water broke the next day each time.

My dr only did it because I was already dialating. He said that it doesn't work unless your body is ready.

Mommy to 4 boys
March 15th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
Had it 5 times with Mia. Nothing. Others who had it, worked like a charm
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
March 15th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Veteran
My doctor offered to do it at my appointment this week. I said no thanks lol. I'd love her to stay in a bit longer! I'm trying to decide when/ if I should... I really can't make up my mind! And it sounds like there have been mixed results, anyway... hmmm.

March 15th, 2013, 09:05 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel_Kay View Post
I had it done with my last two, it worked both times for me. My water broke the next day each time.
See I wouldn't consider that successful labor induction. For some people labor doesn't start on it's own for a while after waters break, but the hospital puts you on a time line and then start the interventions. Maybe it's my personal preference also but I prefer the bag stays in tact as long as possible because I think it helps cushion the contractions.
rverrone11 likes this.
March 15th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is not something that I would try unless I was 42 weeks and facing a hospital induction. I think there is a risk of breaking the bag of waters and I want mine to stay in tact as long as possible.
rverrone11 and *Anya* like this.
March 15th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had two done with my first pregnancy because I was facing a hospital induction. The first was at 41 weeks, and nothing happened. I was only dilated 1 cm, and it didn't hurt much. The next sweep was a few days later and I went into labor that night.

March 15th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've never even had a doctor mention it before. It doesn't sound too pleasant lol
March 16th, 2013, 03:10 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_cat View Post
It is not something that I would try unless I was 42 weeks and facing a hospital induction. I think there is a risk of breaking the bag of waters and I want mine to stay in tact as long as possible.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 16th, 2013, 05:32 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
My friend had it done, with no luck. She said it was fairly painful. I have never had it done, but it doesn't sound like something I'm really interested in.

March 16th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Tamimomof5's Avatar Super Mommy
I had it done with my last pregnancy and I thought it was really painful. It also didn't help things progress at all.
March 16th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Kennydra's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had it done with my first at 39wks (on a Wed.) started having contractions shortly after, things got more intense Sat/Sun and I had him on the Sunday afternoon. I was already 1cm dilated at the time also. I would consider doing it again at 39/40wks if it would help get labor started and I could avoid being induced.
Cortney6983 likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 16th, 2013, 08:43 AM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmm..I'll just see what my cervix is all about in the coming weeks and take it from there. Thanks for sharing, everyone. Great input, as per usual!
March 16th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
See I wouldn't consider that successful labor induction. For some people labor doesn't start on it's own for a while after waters break, but the hospital puts you on a time line and then start the interventions. Maybe it's my personal preference also but I prefer the bag stays in tact as long as possible because I think it helps cushion the contractions.
That could be the case with others, but I had already progressed a bit with regular contractions before he did the sweep. Especially with my last, he was born 4 hours after my water broke with no interventions.

Mommy to 4 boys
March 16th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had this with my 1st, because I was overdue, but I still had a rough labor with him. It never started on its own.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search