Bought baby food or make your own?

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree18Likes
  • 2 Post By *Anya*
  • 2 Post By nameetog
  • 1 Post By Pretty Crispy
  • 2 Post By candyfloss1
  • 3 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By Twirlbird
  • 1 Post By *Anya*
  • 1 Post By AngieLMG
  • 1 Post By Purple_cat
  • 1 Post By blueeyes25s
  • 1 Post By MommysPocket
  • 2 Post By MaineBean

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2013, 02:52 PM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
Do you ladies make your own baby food or buy it

What are you FTMs going to do?

I want to make my own I hope haha

March 21st, 2013, 02:53 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
neither, baby led weaning.
~AmazedByYou~ and Cortney6983 like this.
March 21st, 2013, 02:55 PM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
What's that mean? Sorry lol not in the know with everything yet!

March 21st, 2013, 03:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I made all my own food with my son. It is FAR easier than you think and way, way way cheaper. I did baby led weaning with my daughter

http://www.babyledweaning.com/
*Anya* and Cortney6983 like this.

March 21st, 2013, 03:17 PM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
Baby led weaning here as well. We stray from most processed foods and I will make baby food if necessary. We do have a beaba
Cortney6983 likes this.

March 21st, 2013, 03:19 PM
Veteran
we just feed the baby whatever we eat, starting about 6 months (or when baby shows interest).

We eat really great from scratch meals, so Its really not hard to think about. Babys seem to develop a great palate this way. We have no allergies and the kids will eat ANYTHING! (Well anything except normal kid crap like mac n cheese and hot dogs... they dont like stuff like that YUK)
*Anya* and Cortney6983 like this.
#1- dd17
#2- ds14
#3- ds9
#4- ds8

#5- dd6
#6-ds 1

March 21st, 2013, 03:24 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We bought some baby food, but didn't do much of that, honestly. We didn't do any solids until 6-7 months...no purees, no cereals, etc. The first foods we gave her were steamed veggies around 6 months, and she wasn't much interested. Mostly between 7 months and 12 months, we let her experiment with foods, but breast milk was her main source of nutrition. They really don't even have the enzymes necessary to digest food and get nutritional benefit from it until at least 9 months.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 21st, 2013, 03:35 PM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
Ditto(i feel like all i do is ditto you!). So much easier and Mia is a much better eater than the kids her age i find.
*Anya* likes this.
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
March 21st, 2013, 03:38 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Looks like others answered
I also believe that for babies solids is more of an exploration of new tastes and textures, most of nutrition should still come from milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twirlbird View Post
Ditto(i feel like all i do is ditto you!). So much easier and Mia is a much better eater than the kids her age i find.
lol well ditto back
Cortney6983 likes this.
March 21st, 2013, 04:27 PM
Veteran
We made our own for a bit then did baby-led weaning. It just made more sense for us!
Cortney6983 likes this.

March 21st, 2013, 04:44 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We made our own for a bit and also did some baby led weaning. We didn't introduce any solids until my daughter was 7 months and breastmilk stayed her primary nutrition even after we introduced solids.
Cortney6983 likes this.
March 21st, 2013, 06:47 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
I definitely want to make my own baby food!
Cortney6983 likes this.

Forever missing my angel 2010

March 21st, 2013, 06:59 PM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Another for baby led weaning. DD started showing interest in our plates around 10 months and we started actually giving her her own plate around a year. I think it def helped with her eating habits. She will eat everything, its really rare there is something she doesn't like.

But if you are going to do 'baby food' def make your own. It's so easy and so cheap. They don't eat much so its easy to steam carrots for a side of your dinner then use the extra to mash with some milk and feed to baby.
Cortney6983 likes this.

March 22nd, 2013, 07:36 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made a little here and there, but honestly, with a full time work schedule, I just couldn't be bothered that much and we bought plenty of baby food. I did taste everything before we gave it to him, and when he hated some, we knew why- some of them just plain taste gross! I'd like to make more this time, but I'm not going to kill myself worrying about it.

I know we didn't do cereal to start since I heard there was like NO nutritional value- we went to baby oatmeal. And we definitely included soft real foods towards the beginning too.

But if you do jarred baby food, don't feel guilty. Sure, making your own is healthier and not that hard, but it's not like the bought stuff is made of poison. And my kid eats EVERYTHING (ok, no olives or mushrooms, but that's it) so it's not like giving them bought food dooms them to a life of only accepting chicken nuggets and pizza. You can still have a well rounded food eater after jarred food.
kimberley and CrochetingMama like this.

March 22nd, 2013, 08:25 AM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did both jarred food and home-made with DS.

I am interested in this baby led weaning this time around. Seems to make sense.
March 22nd, 2013, 08:50 AM
2XlinkedPHkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBean View Post
I made a little here and there, but honestly, with a full time work schedule, I just couldn't be bothered that much and we bought plenty of baby food. I did taste everything before we gave it to him, and when he hated some, we knew why- some of them just plain taste gross! I'd like to make more this time, but I'm not going to kill myself worrying about it.

I know we didn't do cereal to start since I heard there was like NO nutritional value- we went to baby oatmeal. And we definitely included soft real foods towards the beginning too.

But if you do jarred baby food, don't feel guilty. Sure, making your own is healthier and not that hard, but it's not like the bought stuff is made of poison. And my kid eats EVERYTHING (ok, no olives or mushrooms, but that's it) so it's not like giving them bought food dooms them to a life of only accepting chicken nuggets and pizza. You can still have a well rounded food eater after jarred food.
Well, Monster's primary source of nutrition was her super-caloric extra-sensitive formula since she was allergic to both soy and dairy but... yeah. I tried making some at home but it was just easier for us both to pop open a little jar of ready made to feed to her. She also is an extremely good eater for us (and given that she had a feeding tube in from August 2009 to April 2011 I think that's saying something!). The only problem we really have is that she likes to nibble instead of eating a full meal and she never wants her own plate when Mommy's is RIGHT there. Even if we're eating the same thing -.- Li'l jerkface.

March 22nd, 2013, 11:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We do baby led weaning as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search