This is funny

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2013, 09:54 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone else eating their placenta? Is this how your SO reacted? lol
Afterbirth: It's What's For Dinner - TIME
March 25th, 2013, 10:08 AM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
To me, that is gross

March 25th, 2013, 10:09 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL! That was pretty funny.

Quote:
When you gross out people who work at a hospital, you have accomplished something.
Haha...true! Although (side note here), I am surprised by how many people who work in hospitals are completely grossed out by pumped breast milk...in a sealed bottle, which is placed in a sealed, insulated bag...stored in an employee refrigerator. So I imagine a lot of hospital employees would be grossed out by placenta eating as well.
*Anya*, MommysPocket and nameetog like this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 25th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That article was great. My doula offered to prepare my placenta for me but we declined. I think it is cool that some people do it though!
March 25th, 2013, 10:17 AM
2XlinkedPHkids
eeeeewwwwwwwww

March 25th, 2013, 10:23 AM
I encapsulated my sister's for her last year and my midwife is doing mine, thankfully for my sister lol. She was ready to return the favor, but I think she is grateful she doesn't have to haha.
March 25th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
Ugghh. I know its very healthy but I have a lot of issues with meat in general let alone human tissue.

I do know a few from my Nov PR did the encapsulation of the placenta.

I think it should be an option, but me taking advantage of that option? No way no how no sir!
HalfDozen likes this.
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
March 25th, 2013, 10:31 AM
It ends up in pill form, just like any herb supplement you'd get at a store
March 25th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Uh noooo
HalfDozen likes this.
March 25th, 2013, 11:22 AM
nikki-pie's Avatar Expecting #1 Apr 5th!!
Halariously written, not something i would personally do.... I know in a lot of 3rd world countries it is custom to eat the placenta, and i don't think they encapsulate it lol
March 25th, 2013, 11:23 AM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dh and I were just talking about this. I completely agree and understand the benefits but don't have the desire to do it. I've known several people who swear by it. And pills are def better (to me) than the families who cook it up and serve it for dinner. That one I just can't wrap my head around.
ThaiSpice and HalfDozen like this.

March 25th, 2013, 11:37 AM
I realized I didn't answer the question about how my DH would feel. Uh...this guy handled it much better than my DH would. He would be mortified, although if it were important enough to me, I'm sure he'd find a way to be supportive. But yeah, he would be grossed out. He did take a picture of my placenta last time, though, I think, and was a little bit fascinated. But the idea of consuming it would be pretty horrifying for him.

I don't plan to encapsulate/consume mine, but it doesn't bother me that other people do. To each her own!

March 25th, 2013, 12:50 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
My DH would have reacted to it the same way... hillariously so. People (patients) ask me all the time if people ACTUALLY do that. I explain to them that yes, they absolutely do. Some take it home to bury it and use to grow a special tree or plant in honor of their new baby, some eat it raw, some encapsulate it, etc etc. It's not for me, at all.

Also.. hospitals don't usually allow you to keep breastmilk in the same "employee" fridge as anything else. Any good hospital should have an entirely separate breastmilk fridge and or freezer. We have both.. and I fought to have the **** biohazard stickers removed from it last year because it is not a hazardous bodily fluid according to the CDC.

March 25th, 2013, 01:10 PM
^ Guess our hospital isn't a good hospital LOL . The only policies I know of related to employees storing anything in any refrigerators is that they cannot store personal food/items of any kind in patient refrigerators or refrigerators that store drugs. I never stored my breast milk in any hospital refrigerator--I brought my own small cooler & ice packs, which fit in my pump bag, so it wasn't an issue for me.
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

March 25th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have absolutely no desire to consume my placenta. Although I will admit that a pill form would seem much easier to consume, I am certain that that would be a tough pill to swallow! I don't think I could do it...but as someone else mentioned "to each their own".
mama3o and HalfDozen like this.

Mommy to 4 boys
March 25th, 2013, 02:09 PM
anjawb's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel_Kay View Post
I have absolutely no desire to consume my placenta. Although I will admit that a pill form would seem much easier to consume, I am certain that that would be a tough pill to swallow! I don't think I could do it...but as someone else mentioned "to each their own".
Ditto! I think this is also partially how you are raised. If it is a concept that you are raised with, than im sure it is no big deal, but I think most women in America are not raised with the notion that eating or consuming the placenta is a "normal" activity.
mama3o likes this.

March 25th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have read this article before. I do think it is hilarious! My husband would absolutely have the same reaction. I have no desire to do anything with my placenta but I am in the to each his own camp.

March 25th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Super Mommy
I made jokes about it with my OB while she was sewing me up, but I had no desire to actually do it.
March 25th, 2013, 10:08 PM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Any good hospital should have an entirely separate breastmilk fridge and or freezer
Just curious about this? Why would that be necessary? I pumped and worked in a hospital and put my milk in the employee fridge in an insulated lunch-type bag. No one ever said a word to me about it and I never thought twice about it. What am I missing?

I am not interested in eating the placenta, but am also a "to each their own type". About 10 years ago I had a friend who kept her placenta and buried it and planted a tomato plant in its place. She then gave me tomatoes from the plant. I'll admit 10 years ago I was kind of grossed out. I think maybe she should have kept her tomatoes in the family.
March 27th, 2013, 08:29 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
My sister was actually just asking me about this. It's certainly not something for me, but she was reading about it. I know she wouldn't have done it, but she thought for a bit that I might have. I'm not into eating any part of my own body, and even in pill form, I would "know" what was in there and don't think I could take it. I know they mentioned something about it when I was in the hospital with my last one, but I really don't even remember what they were saying. I think it was something to the effect that it wasn't a service they offered. My husband was appalled at the thought!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search