Sleep Deprived

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By MsRK
  • 1 Post By mama3o
  • 3 Post By MaineBean
  • 2 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 3 Post By *Anya*
  • 1 Post By plastikmom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
For those of us who have had their babies, how is your sleep? Mine is pretty much non existent ... I am exhausted, beyond exhausted ... between pumping, feeding, changing, burping, rocking, laundry & attempting to keep the house clean I am surprised I can even keep my eyes open.

I barely remember to eat & drink half the time ... and today I am just achy and having engorgement issues with one breast ... not to mention so overtired that when I lay down to sleep, I can't ...

Someone tell me it gets better, please!!!!

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

April 5th, 2013, 03:21 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's rough at first... but it will most definitely get better!!! Hang in there!
April 5th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Veteran
It will get better. It may not be right away, but it will. I found with my other two at around 3 months there was a big difference. I am tired too but not as much as with my first (who I breastfed for a while). I am bottlefeeding and he is up about every 2-4 hours at night. I have been getting enough sleep thankfully. My days go from one thing to the next. I am trying to lay a little low to recover from c section, which is so much harder than my recovery from my others, but also add 12 years and being over 40 in and its been a bit rough. I am so glad to have some of my energy back that I didn't have for so long when I was pregnant that I am not going to complain much. I actually feel pretty good. Hang in there, it will get better!

April 5th, 2013, 03:40 PM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The good times.. I am getting much better with my sleep now that I have a process down. (Especially for the middle of the night) He wakes up about every 2-2.5 hours to eat. And he poops every other feeding almost like clock work. The rest of the time he just pees. (But I change his diaper after every feeding)

I also don't feed him directly from my breasts between 1am and 6am..( 2 middle of the night feedings) These are the times that I feed him pumped breast milk through the "brestflow" bottles. The bottles are already prepped and ready in the little mini fridge that I have in my bedroom. Then I pop the bottle in the bottle warmer which takes about 90 seconds to heat it. This cuts my feeding time down to about 15 minutes and he stays drowsy/sleepy the whole time. Then I change his diaper and burp him, all while holding his head in the fluffy dribble cloths that my mother made him and he lays his head in my hand and half sleeps while I burp him ,leaning forward.. Once he burps I put him back in the bassinet and he is back off to sleep. Then I sleep. This whole process I have down to about 30 minutes.

As long as I wake up and get him up to feed him when he starts to stir I'm solid! Waiting until he is crying for food was a huge mistake I was making in the past. He is wide awake by then and agitated and doesn't go back to sleep for a while after. Keeping him in the breastmilk state of zen is whats working for me in the middle of the nights.
April 5th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRK View Post

As long as I wake up and get him up to feed him when he starts to stir I'm solid! Waiting until he is crying for food was a huge mistake I was making in the past. He is wide awake by then and agitated and doesn't go back to sleep for a while after. Keeping him in the breastmilk state of zen is whats working for me in the middle of the nights.
I love what you said about keeping the baby in this state of zen...so important ! Pediatrician once told me to never ever talk to a baby or turn a light on in the middle of the night. He also told me only to change poopie diapers at night, never wet if you can avoid it, because of how much it rouses them. I did this with my 2nd and 3rd and wow, what a difference! Things went so much better!
MsRK likes this.
April 5th, 2013, 03:48 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm still in the hospital since Ingrid is still working through her jaundice. (I'm technically discharged- if she had been ok, we'd have gone home today.)

So I've got others that have been cooking for me and I don't have to deal with stuff at home, but she loves to get active in the middle of the night, so I'm low on sleep. Only getting maybe 5-6 very disjointed hours. I'm not feeling too bad yet though.

My advice is screw the laundry and cleaning. With a newborn, it isn't about keeping up appearances, it's about keeping up sanity. You best believe if it's between a nap or washing dishes/clothes, I'm going to sleep. It keeps your milk production up, gives you the energy and positivity to keep going, and makes you feel like YOU. And while you are pumping, DH can handle stuff. Or HE can rock or burp and YOU can do nothing or fold a load of laundry. You've gotta work together and really let go of stuff to get through these first weeks.
*Anya*, Sneetch and plastikmom like this.

April 5th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Veteran
I probably shouldn't say this, but sleeping is going ok with me. I have had 2-3 rough nights, but otherwise we get up every 3-4 hours, so only twice a night. I'm ok with that.

It will get better, I remember with my others, when I had rough nights I would put them in the bouncer and turn the vibration on and sleep on the couch, when they would stir I would bounce the bouncer from my sleep. It may not be the best idea, but it helps to get some sleep. Also, are you swaddling baby? If Evelyn isn't swaddled (arms have to be out of the swaddle for her) she doesn't sleep. She likes being held close so the swaddle helps, but she loves her hands by her face. I would definitely try swaddling if your not, the Halo swaddle are what the hospital I was at recommends now and they work great.

April 5th, 2013, 05:08 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama3o View Post

I love what you said about keeping the baby in this state of zen...so important ! Pediatrician once told me to never ever talk to a baby or turn a light on in the middle of the night. He also told me only to change poopie diapers at night, never wet if you can avoid it, because of how much it rouses them. I did this with my 2nd and 3rd and wow, what a difference! Things went so much better!
This is what we did with Grace, and she has always been a great sleeper.
mama3o and MsRK like this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 5th, 2013, 05:12 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
how do you change a diaper in the dark? do you just have a low night light on all night?
April 5th, 2013, 05:13 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBean View Post
My advice is screw the laundry and cleaning.
Absolutely! I mean, there are some things that have to be done...you have to have clean clothes, etc. But something has to give, and the housework can wait. At this point, it's important to get sleep whenever you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy to alexander View Post
I probably shouldn't say this, but sleeping is going ok with me. I have had 2-3 rough nights, but otherwise we get up every 3-4 hours, so only twice a night. I'm ok with that.

It will get better, I remember with my others, when I had rough nights I would put them in the bouncer and turn the vibration on and sleep on the couch, when they would stir I would bounce the bouncer from my sleep. It may not be the best idea, but it helps to get some sleep. Also, are you swaddling baby? If Evelyn isn't swaddled (arms have to be out of the swaddle for her) she doesn't sleep. She likes being held close so the swaddle helps, but she loves her hands by her face. I would definitely try swaddling if your not, the Halo swaddle are what the hospital I was at recommends now and they work great.
And ditto this, too...both the swaddling and sometimes the swing at night while I slept on the couch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberley View Post
how do you change a diaper in the dark? do you just have a low night light on all night?
Just a small lamp. And when she got to where she wasn't pooping at night, we skipped nighttime changes.
mama3o likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 5th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I used a nightlight and kept it on all night, so it was a constant....never any new light. And not too close to baby, enough to see and that's it. I have great sleepers too!
April 5th, 2013, 05:42 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Best advice I actually followed with my daughter was sleep when the baby sleeps. Seriously launder and cleaning can wait. I used to stay in bed with her till 11 or noon every day. just change/burp/feed and back to sleep. Take every chance you get to relax and lay down, routines will come with time, for now just try to rest whenever possible. Messes won't go anywhere (unfortunately) laundry you can do when you are awake anyways, put the baby in the carrier if she needs to be held. This too will pass, I promise, but it does take time.
Sneetch, Purple_cat and plastikmom like this.
April 5th, 2013, 06:41 PM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I completely agree with using a very small, dim lamp only, and no talking at night. It may not work for everyone, but it totally worked for me last time. I got her up to eat as soon as she'd start to awaken (never to the point of being wide awake or crying). I changed her first, with just the dim lamp (kept it on the floor so it wasn't overhead or in our eyes), so that got her awake enough to eat, but again, not wide awake. I was lucky that she rarely pooped at night, so I was really able to just nurse her back to sleep.
It's hard to know what will work best for you and your baby, but it will all fall into place, and you will start to feel like a normal person again. In the meantime, just take care of you & the baby. Housework & extra things have to fall to the wayside.

April 5th, 2013, 07:00 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I agree with only changing dirty diapers during the night. I have a light built into my headboard for reading so I would use that for changes. If my kids were only wet, they didn't get changed. And eventually, they get to a point where they don't have dirty diapers nearly so often so we skipped all overnight changings.

I will say that if you're pumping during the night as well, that is also going to not help with the sleep. I've only ever pumped during my normal awake hours, and usually while I was feeding them on one side, I would pump on the other. The one thing that I always had going for me was that I could fall back asleep while they were nursing. You can't do that, unfortunately with bottles. I am a MESS if I don't get my needed sleep so I found what worked for me. Hubby hardly ever heard the baby, even with it being in our room.

And I definitely second what others were saying. There were many nights, especially in the first couple of months, where I would put her in the swing and sleep on the couch. There were also many times where I would put her in the swing and go back up to my bed. It's sometimes better when you can't hear every sound they're making. Believe me, if baby NEEDS you, you will hear it. Someone at work just told me that the best advice she ever got was to get rid of the baby monitor. I completely agree, but I know plenty of people can't rest with that option.

April 6th, 2013, 06:04 AM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Its been a long time since I have had a baby in the house and honestly last time I think I was so sleep deprived that its all a blur. I don't remember much. I just wanted to sympathize and reassure you that it does get better. These ladies have great advice!
Sneetch likes this.
April 6th, 2013, 11:17 AM
JennBer's Avatar Super Mommy
When I first got the twins one of them was a horrible sleeper. It was almost impossible to get her to sleep and once she was she wouldn't stay asleep.(well unless you sat and held her the whole time since that is what her bio mom did because she was the favorite) I refused to do that and it led to many sleepless nights but it slowly got better. She spent many nights in the bouncer or the swing(once I got one), I would set the bouncer on the floor beside my bed and I would lay there with one leg dropped off the side so that when she would start to fuss I could just twitch my foot a few times and get her back to sleep without me ever have to actually wake up. Well unless it was feeding time.

And I agree with the no new light. In the girl's room the ceiling fan/light has this option where I turn the light off at the fan instead of the wall and it leaves 2 little night light bulbs on, it gives just enough light that I can see what I need to in order to do whatever needs to be done. When the girls were still on formula I would mix it up in the bathroom with the normal light then turn the bath light out go into their room feed and back to bed unless that had a diaper that HAD to be changed, then it was feed change back to bed. Never let them get to much awake. I was so glad when I got them both to the point that I could do that.

April 6th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
How do you know when they stir and not fully awaken? Do they make noises that wake you up? Just wondering how you would notice they are stirring

April 6th, 2013, 02:36 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
^They move around, grunt, make various noises. You'll figure it out, I promise!!

April 6th, 2013, 02:45 PM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortney6983 View Post
How do you know when they stir and not fully awaken? Do they make noises that wake you up? Just wondering how you would notice they are stirring
When they are starting to wake up they make a whole host of noises.. They aren't crying and their eyes aren't even open... but they groan, yawn, stretch and make grunting sounds with the stretch (and my baby's favorite, small snorting sounds) .. just lots of noises and you will know that they are slowly waking up..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search