The crib IS a nice place to sleep

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By redfishbluefish
  • 5 Post By MaineBean

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2013, 02:46 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Places Ingrid will sleep:

- in anyone's arms
- on someone's chest
- in her carseat
- in her bouncy seat
- on the flat mattress with no blankets next to me in bed
- alone with no clothes in the bili-light jaundice incubator

Places Ingrid won't sleep:

- in her crib
- in her bouncy seat in her crib

Granted, we've only been home one night, but it was rough. I started in my bed... for like 10 minutes then I got scared she'd have spit up choking fits. So then I went in to the bed in the nursery. Then she was wimpering in the crib, so I tried to put her in the bed with me since it was a nice flat mattress. She was all squiggly and noisy and I couldn't sleep and I couldn't tell if she was asleep. Eventually I put her on my chest and got a few hours. Later we got up for a feeding and we tried to put her back in the crib and I went back to our bed.

The next two hours had her fidgeting, yelling, crying, implying she wanted more food, actually wanting more food, and generally not sleeping. We thought maybe she was cold, so we added to her sleep sack and swaddle with a fuzzy blanket tucked safely around her and a hat. NO LUCK. Eventually she ended up on my chest again where we all got a few hours and then I pancake flipped her onto the bed where I watched her squirm and make noises- and sleep.

She is currently up there after a great big feeding in her bouncy seat, in the crib, and she cries and stirs every 20 minutes. She slept in that thing for like 3 hours earlier today! ARGH!

It's cool that we need to go through adjustments, but geez man, she has GOT to sleep in there. This morning's snugglefest proved that she is WAY too noisy to be in my room- I will never sleep.

Any suggestions? How do I get that girl to sleep in there!? It's going to be a very looooong transition if we can't figure this one out.

April 7th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Veteran
Not sure how to get her to sleep in her crib, but I can say the first two nights home with Colton were horrific. He did not sleep but a few minutes here and there and I slept 1 hour the first night and maybe 3 the 2nd. So my advice is keep trying to put her in the crib and maybe it will get better after a couple nights.

April 7th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
I'm definately worried about the sleeping part too! I know it will be hard but worried about how hard specially living with my parents and my aunt whom also lives here who have no decency for being quiet as well as 3 dogs that like to bark at anything and everything I hope Lilly will be a good sleeper though I doubt it haha

April 7th, 2013, 04:03 PM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Co sleeping worked best for us with DD so I didn't try much else. Maybe try an incline positioner?

April 7th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Veteran
This sounds EXACTLY like my first night home with my 2 year old. We didn't try his own crib that night but he was in bed with us and in the bassinet in our room and his seat and everywhere else and he drove me batty with all his little noises and I just knew then it wasn't going to work and he just WASN'T sleeping enough. The second night he slept great in his crib and that's where he's been ever since Here's hoping night number two is far better for you
MaineBean likes this.

April 7th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope that she starts sleeping in the crib for you! I have no advice because I ended up co sleeping with my first daughter even though I never ever intended to do that. She wouldn't sleep anywhere else and I was so desperate for sleep that I was willing to do almost anything, so I let her sleep next to me. When she got a little older and could roll around I pushed the crib (with rails) right up next to my bed and slept holding her hand. When she was about a year I finally got her to sleep in her own room and that was when I was actually able to start getting some real sleep.

Hang in there! Hopefully you will have a better night tonight!!
April 7th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
I can't co sleep our bed isn't big enough and the side ones are expensive our bed is smaller and my SO rolls a lot I hope she isn't crazy about co sleeping

April 7th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I used whatever worked in the moment. My car seat helped for a bit. So did the swing!
April 7th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh no! We haven't made it home yet but I have several places for her to sleep throughout the house and will go with whatever works best for us! With my other kids, I just had to keep putting them in the crib over and over until they got used to it. I had many sleepless nights
April 8th, 2013, 08:01 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hope the sleeping gets better! Seems like those first few days, we just slept wherever and however we could, but maybe within a week or so Grace was sleeping in her pack n play at night. Hopefully soon Ingrid will be sleeping in the crib.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 8th, 2013, 11:30 AM
How did last night go? Any better?
April 8th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Last night was sooo much better. We put the bouncy seat in the crib to give an incline. We used a Swaddle Me to strap her arms down better. And when she was up feeding, I put a heating pad in the seat to keep it warm. (It of course came out when she went back in- no cooking the baby or setting the house ablaze.) She'd sleep for 2 hours then feed for an hourish, so I got nice chunks of sleep.

I did foolishly bring her back to bed with me for the 5:30 - 8ish stretch because I wanted snuggles. She was content on chest, but all her wiggling mostly kept me up. I'd put her head between my boobs and she'd use those strong piston legs and wiggly motions to once again get jacked up right under my chin. It was very sweet- but kind of choked me! I think I'll sve my sleeping baby snuggles for more daylight hours going forward!

If I can replicate last night consistently, I'll be pleased as punch!

April 8th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I am so glad to hear that last night went better! I was thinking about you.
April 8th, 2013, 01:47 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good news!

Did your son ever wake up from all the commotion?

I'm worried about that..
April 8th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Glad to hear it! If she's already doing so well, I'm sure she'll do great in her crib!

April 8th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad you have a system working well. It is always a hard adjustment. Here's hoping it only keeps getting better!!

April 8th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberley View Post
Good news!

Did your son ever wake up from all the commotion?

I'm worried about that..
We don't know yet since he's been with my parents! He is probably coming home tomorrow so we'll see. Ingrid is LOUD when she gets going so it would not surprise me if he wakes. How it plays out is yet to be seen. I can only hope he learns to sleep through it!

April 8th, 2013, 05:54 PM
I'm also curious to see how Grace will sleep with new baby in the house. She's such a good sleeper now...I hope that continues.

April 8th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Super Mommy
ours is 1 month and she still will only sleep on my chest at night. during the day she sleeps other places.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search