Chesnie's birth story

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes
  • 8 Post By kitt
  • 1 Post By kimberley
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By bellasky
  • 1 Post By MommysPocket
  • 3 Post By kitt
  • 1 Post By linds2012
  • 2 Post By Purple_cat
  • 1 Post By kitt

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2013, 12:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm home now and up for a midnight feeding, so I thought I would type up our birth adventure.

Part 1:
All day Thursday and part of Friday I was feeling sorry for myself and mad I would never get to experience a "natural" birth again, meaning no inductions. My last experience was terrible and I had been hoping to go into labor on my own, but I was convinced my body didn't work right and was resigned to going in on the 8th for my induction. Friday night, Macie, my 15 year old, was cleaning out the fridge for me and found pieces of a pineapple I had bought the previous weekend and asked if I wanted it. I started to tell her to throw it away and then thought, no, I will try it again! So I ate the rest of it, just in case. Around 9:15, Macie had thrown together a really delicious chicken tamale pie and we decided to watch Captain America while we ate. I was sitting in a recliner but had my feet propped up on my yoga ball. It had been the most comfortable way to sit to get the horrible pressure off my back and lady bits. Lol.. Well I noticed while I was eating that pain was coming and going and I thought for a second, maybe I should stop eating and time them, but decided the food was too good, so I ate it all and got a second helping, too lol. About the time they are turning Steve Rogers into Captain America, I was done and started timing. They were 6 and a half minutes apart. I wanted to get excited but I didn't want to be disappointed so I stopped watching the timer and got back to the movie. Another contraction. I picked up my timer and looked. 6 1/2 minutes! I started to get butterflies and timed a few more, which were pretty consistant. I knew I needed to go ahead and get them checked, just in case, so I woke my husband up and told him we needed to go. He was skeptical too and started to make me go by myself!! He knew I was serious when I started bawling so he threw on his clothes and we left. He was speeding and I told him to take his time because they weren't THAT close together and they definitely did not hurt too badly. By the time we got to the hospital, they were 3 and a half minutes apart. I was pretty calm walking into the hospital so the people at the front desk didn't seem too concerned until they asked my due date and I told them last month lol! I got wheeled up to L&D around 10:30 and got hooked up to the monitors around 10:45. The nurse checked me and I was an "easy 3." In the doctor's office Wednesday I was between a 2 1/2 to 3 so I knew there was progress already but it was really slow for me so I got a bit disappointed, which then slowed my contractions down to 10 mins apart and not consistant at all.. The nurse checked me again after an hour and a half and I was almost 3 1/2! So there was change, so she kept me another hour. My husband was starting to get restless around 12:30 am, so I sent him out to the car to catnap and keep him from complaining the whole time to me...ugh. If you want to make contractions stop all together, bring someone along to b--ch and moan the whole time. We had an induction set and that date was what he had stuck in his head and this hospital trip was an inconvenience for him.. About 2am the nurse checked me again and she was checking for quite awhile. She finally said, "Well I want to say there's change but I think I'm just being hopeful for you." She could see the disappointment on my face and I told her I was concerned because of the group B strep being positive and normally my labors were really fast and once I get to a 4 to a 4 1/2, I go real quick. She asked how far away I lived and I told her about 20 minutes. By that time I had only had 1 or 2 small contractions in the last hour so I was sure I was going home and I wanted to cry. The nurse (who happened to have the same birthday as me!) came back from calling the on call doctor and said, "how would you like to stay?" I got a bit excited and said sure! She explained that even though there hadn't been contractions in awhile, she had a feeling I should stay just in case, that way my IV would be ready to go for the antibiotics and pretty much talked the doctor into letting me stay! I love her.

Part 2:
Now, I was pretty sure I wasn't in labor because my body has done this contracting and stopping thing for over a month now and here I was about to get an IV "just in case". I was determined I was not leaving the hospital without my baby in my arms this time. So, I asked the nurse for a play by play of what was going to happen. She said she was pretty sure the doctor on call would go ahead and induce since I would be hooked up anyway and was already post dates. I was still skeptical but I decided to take the chance and let her do the IV. I attempted to get rest but without a clear plan, my mind was racing with the unknown. I ended up with roughly 2 hours sleep. Before my wonderful nurse left for the day, she said to me, "the doctor approved you for pain meds in your IV or you can opt for an epidural." I said I was doing ok and she said again, "if you want an epidural, I can order one for you." I again said I was ok for now. Apparently I wasn't catching on to what she was saying so she said, "you aren't changing and haven't changed since last night. There is a good chance he may send you home unless you were already hooked up to an epidural. My head was swimming with that info when I finally passed out.

Part 3:
I woke up around 7:20 with a hard contraction that had me cussing pretty loudly and was yelling for my husband, who apparently had just stepped out to grab breakfast. I started watching the monitor and they were about 15 minutes apart but I was dreading each one because they hurt so badly. My morning nurse was one I had from my prior NSTs who I loved and, another coincidence, she shared the same name with my mom (uncommon name). I was kind of relieved when I saw her in the room. I told her I was told I could get an epidural if I wanted one and even though the contractions weren't close, my pain level was a 7 1/2 to an 8. She said she would call the anesthesiologist and let him know. An hour later, still no epi and still no change. She said they were caught up doing a "case" and it shouldn't take too long. By that time my contractions had fizzled out again, every 25-30 mins, so I was resigned to going home. About that time, the anesthesiologist arrived and I was hoping they didn't notice I was no longer in pain. They didn't (yay!) and it was done. I was pretty sure I would get to stay now. I laid back and the nurse pointed out 2 hard contractions and asked if I could feel them, and I felt nothing! I was so relieved! By that time, I had only had regular IV fluids and antibiotics in my IV. So I was pretty sure pitocin was next but they noticed baby's heart rate had dropped to 119 and it was not going up or down with contractions. She left the room and I immediately felt awful. By this time it was about 10am. The room was spinning, I could hardly breathe, and I started to panic. My Dh ran out to tell her and she came in and put oxygen on me and checked me. I was now a 4 and my water had broke. She said it was brown, which meant meconium and I started to freak out. She kept me calm telling me they almost expect that, being post dates and baby would be fine as long as she came out crying. Dh reminded me we were in a hospital and they were prepared for any emergencies and to stay calm. I could tell he was worried too but I knew he was right. Had I been sent home or decided not to go in the night before, a.)I might not have known there was meconium and b.) I probably wouldn't have gotten my 2 doses of antibiotics in time because Dh was planning on taking the kids fishing that morning so he wouldn't have had his phone on him. Time dragged by slowly from there. It seemed to be later than it was, but every time I looked at the clock it was still in the 10 o'clock hour. My contractions were still only 15-20 mins apart and not consistent so I asked if I was getting pitocin but the nurse said with the low heart rate and meconium we didn't want to stress the baby out anymore than she already was, so I figured I was in for a LONG day. The doctor on call walked in and introduced himself at about 11 am. He had me get on my back to check me and his eyes got huge when he saw my belly and said "oh my, you've got a BIG baby! Have you delivered a large baby before?" i told him my 6 year old was 8 1/2 lbs and he said, "oh no, this one will be bigger." which freaked me out even more! He checked me and miraculously, I was at a 7! They really couldn't explain how I was progressing so quickly with contractions being that far apart. At about noon, I started feeling pressure. The nurse didn't want to check me since my water had broke so she wanted me to be sure. I waited about 10 mins and was still feeling pressure, so she checked and I was at a 9. About 12:20 it was getting unbearable so I told her again the feeling to push was super strong and she needed to check again. I was complete! I started laughing and crying because as dumb as it sounds, I had been skeptical from the time I went into the hospital that I was actually in labor and had no faith in my body to do what it needed to do on its own, but in that moment I KNEW without a doubt, I was about to meet my baby. The doctor made it back in at about 12:25 and they prepped me to push. I seriously did not think I would get her head out of me but let me tell you, that doctor was AMAZING! He stretched and pulled me and finally her head popped out! My husband kept telling me to look at her that she was out but all I could think was she needed to get out NOW! So one more push and she was born! She was quiet when she came out and the doctor had her over me, upside down, patting her back, telling her to breathe. I was so confused as to what was going on and I felt helpless. He rushed her to the table and said they needed oxygen on her. Dh and I looked at each other and my eyes were pleading with him to do something, anything. Just go be with her. He rushed over to the table and talked to her while I tried to stay calm. Finally, after what seemed like forever, she started screaming! It was the most wonderful sound I had ever heard!
I ended up with one small stitch, no episiotomy!! After the doctor was done and the nurses were done with the baby, one of them suggested skin to skin contact for awhile before they took her away. She breastfed right away and did fantastic! 8 out of 9 on the APGAR. She weighed 8 lbs 15 oz and was 21 1/2 inches long, my biggest yet. We left the hospital with her at 8 lbs 7.9 oz so she is doing great and everyone has fallen completely in love with her.

Last edited by kitt; April 9th, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
April 9th, 2013, 02:36 AM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a great birth story!! Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed reading it. It's so awesome they didn't have to induce!

Congratulations!
kitt likes this.
April 9th, 2013, 02:45 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats again, mama! So glad you didn't need an induction!
kitt likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 9th, 2013, 03:46 AM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
So happy for you!
kitt likes this.

April 9th, 2013, 05:58 AM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Love it! Congrats to mama and the whole family!
kitt likes this.

April 9th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you, ladies! I am loving every minute of her I wanted to add that Monday morning my regular doctor came in to see me. My 15 yr old had stayed the night with me and he came in asking why I wasn't on the other side that morning, meaning why wasn't I in my room for an induction lol.. I was really confused but he said he was kidding and then proceeded to tell me, right there in front of Macie, that I was to have no sex "down below" for 6 weeks and that even though Dh was getting a vasectomy he would still be fertile for 3 months afterward. Now I know she's 15 and all, but I'm sure that convo was as uncomfortable for her as it was for me... So glad I'm done with that wacko!!!!!!
LeedaRenee, mama3o and linds2012 like this.
April 9th, 2013, 10:11 AM
linds2012's Avatar Expecting#1 (Due 4-15-13)
Such a great story! Thanks for sharing!!!
kitt likes this.
April 9th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations!! I loved reading your story and I am so happy that you didn't have to have an induction.

Your doctor sounds like the captain of awkward conversations, I can't believe he told you those things in front of your daughter!
kitt and linds2012 like this.
April 9th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lol yeah and the fact that he added "down below" as if insinuating oral was ok. Lmao!
linds2012 likes this.
April 9th, 2013, 03:30 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a weirdo LOL!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 9th, 2013, 06:33 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Great story! Congrats again!!!

April 10th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Veteran
So glad she finally made her appearance! Some of us girls just take a little longer to get ready!
April 10th, 2013, 11:40 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations!

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
April 10th, 2013, 12:42 PM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Great story. Thanks for sharing! Congrats again on your beautiful little girl!
April 10th, 2013, 12:53 PM
LeedaRenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your doctor is killing me! LOL! Great birth story!
April 10th, 2013, 07:39 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Glad that you finally had the baby! =) I know how worried you were so thank goodness your body did its thing!

April 11th, 2013, 04:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
glad everything wound up working out!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search