Bedtime for babies

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Veteran
For those of you who have your babies home with you, how are they sleeping at night? Where are they sleeping? What do they wear to bed? How are Moms sleeping?

Colton had a rough time the first two nights home, up most of the night. Then after that he started sleeping for 2-4 hours at a stretch, waking just to eat and then back to sleep pretty quickly. Sometimes a diaper change if he was really wet, pooped or he had a leak. He was sleeping in the rocking bassinet we had from our older two children until a couple nights ago when we had to move him into the top bassinet portion of the pack and play. He was rolling all over and ending up with his face right next to the side of the bassinet which is made of fabric (think crib bumpers), so we decided to move him. DH was very unhappy with me as he thought he was fine, but of course I won that arguement and we went out and bought a 2nd pack and play to keep upstairs. He is enjoying rolling around the pack and play instead now. We also have one of the Angelcare monitors in there (which is why DH was mad too as it wasn't working correctly in the pack and play). He sleeps right next to my side of the bed. He wears one of the newborn gown style sleepers with a swaddle me over it with his arms free. I feel like he gets cold at night and have turned the heat up to try to keep it a bit warmer. I am sleeping ok. I get to sleep for the couple hours he is sleeping and am making do fine on that. I have been spoiled with having older children and been able to sleep without interuption for years, but am adjusting to my life with a little one again.

April 10th, 2013, 03:26 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ingrid is doing ok at night- last night she was really wakeful the first half of the night, and my son is home now and got up to use the bathroom and then be a pip and ask for water (when he already had some.) It was tiring!

She has been sleeping well in her bouncy in the crib alone in her room, dressed in a sleep sack with a swaddle me wrapped tightly around her and her arms. I think the swaddle is key to keeping her still and asleep, and the incline of the seat keeps her from being all spit-uppy. Most of the time she's ok without a pacifier, which is good because when she has it and wants it, it no doubt falls out every 20 minutes- just after we've started to fall asleep.

We've only been home a few days, but she is doing well with waking every 3 hours, which means 45-60 min for feeding, diaper changing, and reswaddling. Which means I get around 2 hour stretches- not too shabby.

The biggest thing for me is figuring out when to start putting her in the crib for bed for the first stretch. The first few nights I'd stay up until anywhere from 9 to 11:30 to do the first "night" feeding, but last night we tried to put her upstairs at 7, which would be perfect so that the rest of us could eat dinner and the 3 hour stretches would work perfectly for when my son gets up. But that didn't work. So figuring out when to start the evening cycle is still an unknown.

So far she is better at putting herself to sleep than my son was. I can only hope it continues because he was a wretched sleeper and it was awful! It's so hard to know though- it's only been 1 week!

April 10th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My baby is a good sleeper. She will sleep for 2 or 3 hour stretches in the night and then I just nurse her right back to sleep. We are starting out cosleeping but I sometimes put her in the bassinet for the first stretch of sleep. I try to sleep when she does night and day so I can catch up on the ridiculous amount of sleep I've missed out on since last Friday. I'm still so exhausted
April 11th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Super Mommy
She is now going 3-4 hours between feedings at night which means I get about 2.5-3.5 hours of sleep (she is a very efficient nurser so it only take about 20 minutes to nurse). She sleeps in the bassinet in the pack in play some and on my chest the other times. We are going to start trying her in her crib tonight since the weather is better (it was too cold in her room last night). She has slept in her crib on two previous occassions and it worked well. She typically starts her night routine sometime around 8:30-9.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search