How did this happen???

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes
  • 2 Post By MommysPocket
  • 1 Post By bellasky
  • 1 Post By Purple_cat
  • 1 Post By anjawb
  • 1 Post By MsRK
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By kimberley
  • 1 Post By LeedaRenee
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen
  • 5 Post By plastikmom
  • 1 Post By mama3o
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By plastikmom
  • 1 Post By MommysPocket

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2013, 06:43 PM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Quick background on me: I worked in surgery at a local hospital for 3 years before transferring to a doctor's office 3 years ago. So I got to work with all 4 of the doctors in my OB practice. During surgery you get to know the doctors pretty well. Dh also works there and they al know him. This will seem relevant in a sec...
So I went in for an NST and BP check today. I saw the doctor who I consider the most skilled surgically and the most calming. My BP was 140/90, better but not great. She told me that it is her opinion that after 39 weeks the risk of staying pregnant with high BP outweighs the benefit of being pregnant for another week. Her advice, induce next week before my BP starts causing complications. I trust her opinion. I am still not dilated or effaced at all so she suggested I come in for cervidil the night before and then start pit in the morning. She told me that since I have had a vaginal delivery in the past she was very optimistic about avoiding a C-section. But if I did end up with a section, she would definitely be my choice of doctors since I have seen her at work. I scheduled to go in next Tuesday night to start the cervidil and deliver Wednesday when she is on call. I was feeling great about this plan. DH and I even went out to lunch to celebrate.
So around 6pm I get a phone call from my primary doc in the practice. I see her like 75% of the time. I chose her before I worked with her and she is very nice and very smart (Harvard Medical school). My son has played with her girls and she was wonderful in the office the limited times I had to see her before pregnancy. When DH and I struggled to get pregnant, she was awesome. So bottom line, we had a "connection". However, she is very high strung and I feel like she is one of the reasons I have been very stressed out this pregnancy. She goes by the book and gets me worried about everything (baby movement, BP, ect) Also, I have seen her in surgery many times and she does not have the skill or calming presence of the other doctors. So even though I like her, I was relieved she would not be the one delivering me. Well she called to check on me, which she has done once or twice before (she even gave me her cell # in case I needed her). I told her we had the induction set up. First off, she tried to talk me out of it. But then I asked her about the risks with my BP being high still and she agreed that it wouldn't be a bad idea to induce me. But she said she was going to change my induction date so she could be on call and deliver me!!! OMG!! How did this happen? I like her, but she would be my last choice to do a section (and I know I am at higher risk being induced). I didn't have the heart to tell her I was happy with the other doctor. So I went along with it and then freaked when I got off the phone!!! I just have no idea what to do. I hate the idea of choosing my child's birthday and doctor. I just want him to come on his own!!! But now I am scared about complications with my BP and feel like next week we need to go ahead with it. I just want to cry and don't have any idea what to do. I just wish baby boy would come on his own so I don't have to decide. What a mess. Today has been a rollercoaster of emotions! So...what would you do???
April 12th, 2013, 07:03 PM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As much as you don't want to hurt her feelings, I would tell her you are going to stick with the original plan with the other Dr. Either way your setting an induction date (which I know your don't want) so personally I would go with who is going to make you more comfortable and confident on that special day.
Purple_cat and plastikmom like this.

April 12th, 2013, 07:14 PM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
I agree choose the doctor that you are more comfortable with. It is your body and your child. You need to be okay with whoever is operating on you.
plastikmom likes this.

April 12th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would go with the doctor that you feel the most comfortable with. I don't know how to navigate that, can you call the office and switch the date back without having to talk to the primary doctor? However you do that I think it is important to feel like you are in the best hands.
plastikmom likes this.
April 12th, 2013, 08:33 PM
anjawb's Avatar Super Mommy
Im a wimp, so I would probably lie a little and say that when you had set the date that someone close to you has arranged to be there for the first date you set, and it means a lot to you for them to be around?

just a thought. Having dealt with two of the OBs while I was in labor I totally get wanting the person you feel the most comfortable with!!!
plastikmom likes this.

April 13th, 2013, 01:31 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would tell her straight up that you aleady have a plan in place and things are already scheduled according to said plan and you would like to stick with it. Your gut has already told you to choose the other doctor for a reason. Hold your ground and go with your current plan.
She will understand.. or, get over it. Either way do whats right and most comfortable for you as you have already planned to do.
plastikmom likes this.
April 13th, 2013, 05:58 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree...go with the one you feel comfortable with. It's not a time to be worrying about accommodating the other doctor's feelings. I don't have any advice about how to go about arranging it...maybe call the other doctor and she can help work it out for you. I definitely agree that it's not worth taking risks with your BP...things can turn on a dime, and you don't need to take unnecessary risks. Good luck!
plastikmom likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 13th, 2013, 08:47 AM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone. I would want to be the most at ease as possible in a situation you're not happy with in the first place. And Thaispice is right about it not being the time to worry about doctors feelings. Call and re-arrange!
plastikmom likes this.
April 13th, 2013, 09:46 AM
LeedaRenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You're going to have to tell her. You already have so much out of your control in this situation. THis is something you can control. I had several people try to place themselves at my delivery but I told them I wanted to be treated like a patient this time around, so I didn't want anyone I knew there.

Tell her you think she's great but you just want to stick to the plan for now.
sorry you're going through this!
plastikmom likes this.
April 13th, 2013, 04:57 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Oh, geez!! Okay, here's my 2-cents' worth. You absolutely HAVE to deliver with the person that you feel is going to be the most calming for you and will give you the best chance of the delivery that YOU want! Believe me, I am a VERY passive person (and it's been a running joke in my family for years and years). However, there are just some times you have to speak up! When I was scheduled for my version with the wrong doctor, I had to insist on someone else. I, like you, felt bad requesting the doctor I really wanted, but I also knew that I needed the greatest chance for success for me to feel confident of the outcome.

In the end, you may end up going on your own, and all the better, but if you have to plan it out, then most definitely you need to change back to the original doctor you wanted. I would try talking to the original doctor you scheduled with, or at the very least, one of the receptionists. You know what you want, and they need to be respectful of that. The only person's feelings that anyone needs to be concerned with are YOURS!!
plastikmom likes this.

New picture in progress......
April 14th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the advice girls. You are all right. I need to do what I am comfortable with. I guess I should have switched doctors long ago when I first got pregnant but I really like her as a person and she did help us get pregnant. She's not a bad doctor, she's just a little hyper and makes me nervous. So I am going to call the office in the morning and tell a little white lie (can't get child care until Tuesday night). Then after baby is here I am going to write her a nice thank you card and get her a little gift to let her know I appreciate all she has done for us. I feel good about this decision. I would still like baby to come on his own, but this is the next best thing I guess. I am still holding onto hope.
April 14th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Great choice!
plastikmom likes this.
April 14th, 2013, 10:18 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck--hope it works out!
plastikmom likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 15th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Whew!! I did it! I was sort of afraid I would chicken out. I called this morning and talked to the nurse and she put me through to the doctor that had rescheduled me (the one I usually see). I told her I tried to work it out, but tuesday night was really much better for childcare and DH's work schedule. She seemed disappointed but totally understood and left me on the schedule for induction tuesday night with the other doctor (the really good one, who uses cervidil and makes me feel calm). Now I am just hoping karma doesn't come after me for the white lies I told.......
MommysPocket likes this.
April 15th, 2013, 07:46 AM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You will be fine! You def did the right thing for you and your family. Birth isn't something you want to go into with known doubts. You need to be using the best Dr for you.
HalfDozen likes this.

April 15th, 2013, 07:58 AM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad it worked out. Tomorrow night then, right?! How exciting! Now hopefully your mind is at ease after everything you've had stressing you, and you can rest & focus on the upcoming excitement in a good way!

April 15th, 2013, 08:27 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Yay!!!! You should be holding your little man sometime Wednesday!!!

New picture in progress......

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search