What my SO has taught me

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By mama3o
  • 4 Post By Purple_cat
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By kimberley

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
My SO and I have a lot to learn! But early this morning around 2, as my SO whom I call Baer ( that's his last name) made me realize something I seemed to have forgotten... That HE is new at this too, he is scared, he wants to help but isn't sure how, he does get overwhelmed,.... Realized this after a nurse came in around 2 am to take miss fussy pants for a while do some tests and let us rest up a bit.... I go to lie down in the hospital bed and realize Baer is silently crying lieing in the pull out bed, I asked him what was wrong...silence... Asked again offering comfort he said he doesn't like hearing her cry and not being able to do anything about it... He feels bad he can't console her which stresses him out... After talking to him about how newborns can be fussy she's only 2 days old and having her on formula was upsetting her tummy.., I told him he is amazing already reminding him of how when I got frustrated How HE took her cuddled her got her to stop fussing and when HE gets frustrated when he can't console her I take her and help... We need each other, we need each others support and understanding... I need to help him by giving him cudoes when he is doing it right and that extra keep trying you will get it you're spdoing great when things are tough... I didn't realize how much I would expect of him so fast... I didn't realize I was being so mean at points when we are changing her and I'm acting b**tchy because he isn't doing something fast enough or right... Or when im always correcting him with things instead of "try this" and offering encouragement, he feels defeated like a bad father which he isnt! I love him more than anything he has been amazing to both Lilly and I through these few days. He has stayed here all the time by my side even though he has a bummed knee and the pull out couches are horrible... I realized he needs me just as much as I need him.

Sorry for the rant, jut a big thing I realized that I wanted to share! I'd make it longer but but baby is in one arm and the iPad is hard to type with !

April 13th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
that's wonderful...we do learn so much when we become parents and even when we continue to grow our families! It's a priceless and precious journey!
Cortney6983 likes this.
April 13th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
One of the things that we were advised to do from the start is have my husband be in charge of 100% of diaper changes since I was 100% in charge of nursing (we didn't use bottles). We framed it as his special time and he made up a little song for diaper changes and everything. He was home from work for a couple weeks and he changed every single diaper and learned what tricks work the best. I think it gave him something that he felt like was "his" and I couldn't correct him on it (and actually I was really grateful for it). An extra bonus was that when he went back to work he had something to teach me about our daughter. He taught me the song to sing and how to get the diaper just right.

I am sure I would have figured it out on my own, but it was nice for him to have something that he could teach me. I am not sure if that would be helpful in your situation, but we are planning to do it again because it worked well for us. Also I didn't have to change a single diaper until my daughter was almost a month old!!
kimberley, MsRK, anjawb and 1 others like this.
April 13th, 2013, 02:38 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ That is a good idea! I like it!
Cortney6983 likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 13th, 2013, 02:56 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^ I love that!
Cortney6983 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search