cervidil vs cytotec

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By ~AmazedByYou~
  • 1 Post By AngieLMG
  • 2 Post By plastikmom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2013, 06:51 AM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
To those of you who have been induced or work in the medical field, what do you think about cervidil vs cytotec? I am being induced this week because of my blood pressure and they need me to go in the night before to have a cervical softening drug inserted because I am not dilated at all. (I really wanted to go into labor myself, but after DTD a few times and eating pineapple, and walking more then I should be since I am bedrest, I am making NO progress!!) So some doctors use cervidil and others use cytotec. I googled both (which scared the crap out of me) and cervidil sounded much better and safer. Just wanted to know if anyone had any experiences with either and if they were able to vaginally deliver! Thanks!
April 14th, 2013, 07:25 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally, cytotec scares me. I wouldn't go that route if it were me. Good luck to you!
~AmazedByYou~, jen747 and *Anya* like this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 14th, 2013, 07:30 AM
sarahe210's Avatar Veteran
My doctor used cytotec with DD and I had no idea about anything. My water broke early and I could have sworn I would go into labor late (like what appears may happen this time). I wasn't really having contractions that amounted to anything so before pitocin they tried cytotec. It worked but didn't work fast enough so I went to pitocin and delivered vaginally. I had no problems with it, just needed a little more of a jump start. I'm glad I never googled it though, lol.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

April 14th, 2013, 08:33 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
In my opinion.. cytotec should be used for inductions when there is a demise, and nothing else. It is a quick and powerful drug that DISSOLVES so once it's in there, it's in. So if you start to contract too often, they have to use different drugs to TRY to stop the contractions but there's no guarantee. Cervidil is like a tampon and it can be removed if you start to contract on your own. Cytotec should be a last ditch effort. We use it rectally for postpartum hemorrhages because it causes the uterus to contract so hard that it stops the bleeding.
LeedaRenee likes this.

April 14th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AmazedByYou~ View Post
In my opinion.. cytotec should be used for inductions when there is a demise, and nothing else. It is a quick and powerful drug that DISSOLVES so once it's in there, it's in. So if you start to contract too often, they have to use different drugs to TRY to stop the contractions but there's no guarantee. Cervidil is like a tampon and it can be removed if you start to contract on your own. Cytotec should be a last ditch effort. We use it rectally for postpartum hemorrhages because it causes the uterus to contract so hard that it stops the bleeding.
They gave it to me rectally after I had Pennie to stop my hemmorhaging. It's intense stuff. I'd avoid cytotec if you can...
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

April 14th, 2013, 09:30 AM
and we use it rectally because drugs are absorbed extremely fast rectally.

April 14th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I used cervadil and it got the job done!
April 14th, 2013, 10:37 AM
ACMinAK's Avatar Regular
Hey, I was actually just induced with the Cervadil on Wednesday. I haven't looked into the difference, but I can tell you how my experience was.

I had the cervadil placed at 8pm. She checked my cervix right before this and said I was 1cm and 50% effaced.. and my cervix was very high and firm. Around 1am I woke up and was having really awful cramping and lower back pain. It was constant, and then was feeling contractions on top of that every 6 minutes or so. The nurse came in and gave me something to help me sleep. 4am I was awake and the contractions were 4 minutes apart. At that point my doctor came in and decided to remove it since I was having such regular contractions. I had progressed to 3cm and 75%.

They ended up breaking my water soon after and I had my vaginal delivery that night. So, for me the cervadil definitely got things moving.

Goodluck!!!
April 14th, 2013, 10:40 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I was induced they used cytotec and it was NOT inserted. It was administered through my IV. It worked like a champ though and thankfully I wasn't waiting as long as they were quoting for a first time mom for me to dilate. Granted I have nothing to compare it to since it was my first but I only had complaints about the pitocin contractions, I progressed well on the cytotec.
April 14th, 2013, 10:59 AM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I was induced, they used a blue gel, which I believe was a prostaglandin gel, so along the lines of Cervidil (Rebecca, correct me if I'm wrong on that). I was 2 cm to begin with, and I got 3 doses throughout the day. My cervix did thin out some, but no further dilation & no contractions. That was the whole first day. We didn't do anything overnight (they gave me a sleeping pill & said we'll try again in the morning). Pitocin was started in the morning, then he broke my water. Took 12 hours til I was complete, and then she was born vaginally after 4 hours of pushing.

Back then, I honestly hadn't done my research on inductions, but after a quick google search, I agree with Kimberly...Cytotec scares me!

April 14th, 2013, 12:59 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was induced with my second baby. If my memory serves, I'm pretty sure they used cervadil. They inserted something into me that was placed right next to my cervix. It did the job.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
April 14th, 2013, 09:33 PM
sarahe210's Avatar Veteran
Cytotec was a pill that I took orally.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

April 15th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Regardless of the route, once cytotec is in, it cannot be removed/stopped and it often causes contractions that are too close together/strong which causes the baby to become distressed. The docs I have worked with in the past and currently use it extremely rarely.

April 15th, 2013, 04:03 AM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Regardless of the route, once cytotec is in, it cannot be removed/stopped and it often causes contractions that are too close together/strong which causes the baby to become distressed.
This is my biggest concern, along with the fact that it is not FDA approved for cervical dilation. The only advantages of it that I can see is that it works faster and its cheaper, neither of which matter to me. I will be requesting the cervidil. Thanks for the advice.
~AmazedByYou~ and jen747 like this.
April 15th, 2013, 06:30 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I've had 2 different inductions (about 14 years apart), and both used cervidil. Good luck this week, Erin!!

New picture in progress......
April 15th, 2013, 09:42 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a good plan. Hoping all goes well!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search