People offering to bring food post-baby and allergies

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By Missa_Mae
  • 1 Post By sarahlorrain
  • 1 Post By mama3o
  • 2 Post By plastikmom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wasn't expecting this but a couple people have offered to bring my family meals after the baby is born and I am so touched by this. The only problem is that between my daughter and I we have a variety of food allergies that make this a little bit challenging . The allergies are severe enough that I generally don't trust food that people make because I worry that people won't realize that certain ingredients contain certain allergens. I am not sure how to handle this.

On the one hand I could gratefully accept whatever people bring and just feed it to my husband. At least that takes care of feeding him and I don't have to make things difficult for people who are trying to be nice.

Another option is to tell people that we have the food allergies that we have and ask if they would be willing to bring over a couple fresh ingredients instead (like carrots, celery, bananas, etc) and then we can cook those things into meals that we can all eat. But I feel like it is weird to ask people to bring random groceries??

Another idea is that there is a pizza place near us that makes a pizza that we can all eat if it is ordered without cheese, but for some reason it feels weird to ask people to bring something that specific. For one thing if may be more money than they wanted to spend and I think some people really like to bring something that they made from scratch. We have always gone the pizza route when a friend has a baby- I just call the mom and ask her if she likes that place and what kind of pizza she likes and I bring that exact order. But I think that might be unusual and a lot to ask from someone.

What do you think is the best thing to do in this situation? With good friends I feel like I can suggest the pizza route, but we have had some friends that we don't know as well and I am super grateful that they are thinking of us and would like to offer us some support in the form of a meal. What is the etiquette here?

Are there ideas that I haven't considered?

Thank you for any ideas and suggestions!
April 15th, 2013, 02:03 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We would have been in a similar situation, having some specific dietary needs. I think that if you're close to them, the pizza idea is a good one. Otherwise, if it were me, I would probably graciously accept whatever they brought, and let my husband eat it. I probably would not feel comfortable asking for specific things, except maybe from close friends, and then only if it were something simple like the pizza. That's just me, though.
Purple_cat likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 15th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
That's tough ... you could always ask for gift cards to restaurants you enjoy & know that you can eat their food. That may sound tacky but it's better than having someone bake you a meal you can't eat ...

I think the idea of asking them to bring groceries like fresh veggies and fruits and such is a great idea ...
Purple_cat likes this.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

April 15th, 2013, 04:50 PM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was also going to suggest requesting gift cards to restaurants you know you can eat at. Honestly, I would prefer that if I was the giver because it's so much easier than preparing an extra meal or trying to prepare one for someone with multiple allergies. I'd be a nervous wreck worried I'd mess it up!
Purple_cat likes this.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
April 15th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know that I'd make any special requests. You could have your dh do it??? I would just feel awkward personally. People tend to make what they are comfortable making, so I'd feel like I was putting them out in order to accomodate me.... I'm just saying I'd find it uncomfortable to do. Good luck though.. I would love to get some food though. I just baked a few things and froze them yesterday in order to have a few things! I really should aim to do some more!
Purple_cat likes this.
April 15th, 2013, 05:31 PM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
My son has food allergies, so in the past when people have offered to bring something for parties, ect. I have always graciously declined and explained that my son has allergies. If they let it go, ok. But most of the time people still ask what they can bring and what his allergies are. We can usually come up with something simple that they would like to bring that he can eat. I think it would make people feel good to help. Try to come up with some simple ideas that you know you and your daughter can eat if they insist.
jen747 and Purple_cat like this.
April 16th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much for the ideas and insight. I think I will handle each offer a little differently depending on how well I know the person and you all gave me some great ideas. Thanks!
April 16th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastikmom View Post
My son has food allergies, so in the past when people have offered to bring something for parties, ect. I have always graciously declined and explained that my son has allergies. If they let it go, ok. But most of the time people still ask what they can bring and what his allergies are. We can usually come up with something simple that they would like to bring that he can eat. I think it would make people feel good to help. Try to come up with some simple ideas that you know you and your daughter can eat if they insist.
Same here.
I liked your idea of suggesting fresh groceries. I don't know anyone who would be offended by that. People usually appreciate the idea.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search