Breast Feeding

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By MsRK
  • 1 Post By CrunchyMommaTo2
  • 1 Post By Mel_Kay
  • 1 Post By CrochetingMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2013, 10:16 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For our breastmilk mamas, how's it going? How are everyone's nipples surviving? Is baby gaining weight/ pooping like a champ? How often is everyone trapped under an eating baby?

Ingrid is a good nurser most of the time, though she really is a stinker at night. She will get lazy and only eat off of one side before falling asleep, but then she will NOT stay asleep once I put her down. It's kind of awful.

Her latch is great, which is keeping my nips from falling apart. They are a little sore and tender, and the initial latch is still causing my toes to curl, but no scabs or bleeding. But getting her on is like trying to play the Zoltar Speaks fortune teller game from Big! She is a pain about keeping her mouth open wide for more than one or two seconds for me to jam my boob in there properly. Mostly she opens and closes like a little fish, making it hard to get my aim right.

Unlike my son, she's been doing great with gaining weight. Around this time with him, he started losing weight. We ended up supplementing with formula. I think we'll be able to avoid that this time- we'll see what she weighs at our appt in a few hours. All my visiting nurse and dr appts have shown her gaining right at target.

I really wish the overnight would click. She just wants to be held to sleep, which we can't do. And then when she's awake, she's fighting her swaddle big time and starts trying to eat her blankets, even after she's been fed on and off for the previous 90+ minutes. And I know she's eating well prior to that; I have a hard time believing after that long of real eating she's actually still hungry. But she always loses her pacifier and then goes back to hunting for a nip. If I give her a boob, she falls asleep after literally 10 second. It's really frustrating and I'm quite tired. If I could get her eating more fully and then sleeping at night between feedings, I could live with eating every 2 hours! At least then I'd be guaranteed an hour of sleep at a time. As it is, I only got 90 min good consecutive sleep last night because DH sat with her. I slept 11:45-1:30 then ended up bringing her in bed with me at 3:30 because she wouldn't shut up. I only got a couple of disjointed hours with her on my chest because she jams up into my windpipe and I dream of choking! Needless to say, I'm tired.

At least it doesn't seem to affect my milk supply yet! Oh, which reminds me, I read a helpful article on KellyMom yesterday that reminded me that boobs aren't like a jar that needs to be "full" to feed. It said that even if baby eats for an hour straight, s/he can still stay on the boob and get more milk because the body just makes it continually. It was a good reminder that when I'm feeling like I need a break because she "ate everything already and I have nothing more to give," it isn't so- there is ALWAYS milk in there; I just have to put her to the breast. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...roduction-faq/

April 16th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Not BF'ing but pumping exclusively ... I got a new pump last week (a medela) and at first it destroyed my nipples, I think my Playtex pump wasn't suctioning correctly or something because I am getting way more milk with the Medela!

Baby girl takes bottle like a champ, which is depressing but every time I tried the boob she refused. The started bottle feeding her when she was in the NICU so I think she just got used to the bottle and even with my using the shield she has latching issues. I try not to let it get me down though because even though she's getting a bottle, at least it's breast milk.

We do have formula here as a back up in case for some reason we need to supplement but she is gaining weight well. As of her appt 1 week ago she was up to 6lbs 5oz (from 5lbs 1oz 4 days after birth)

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

April 16th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
Your situation sounds like mine! Lilly has to sleep on my chest! We try to put her in the bassinet next to the bed with my hand on her she fell asleep for 20 min she has her kind of awake kicks and she is Houdini gets her hands out and the swaddle just falls to crap which she starts fussing biting her hands so I feed her get her to sleep and lay her in it again... She wakes instantly fussing I don't like sleeping its her on my chest it bugs me because of how tired I am by then its a deep sleep I fall into. She just recently started napping in the Boppy I out a blanket over it and put her in the "hole" and she will nap without having to be held! But I don't trust it enough to have her sleep in it all night ... That's how I got sleep is AM after her being up all night with gas when SO left I put her in the Boppy on the bed and cuddled up to It and slept for 2 hours. I am here with ya mama you have quite the same situation ! I call her miss fuss butt lol

April 16th, 2013, 10:55 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's going really well! We couldn't bf right away...it was a good 36 hours before we could try. So i was a little concerned that she might have a little trouble. She latched on right away, and has been feeding well ever since. I had pumped every three hours before that, so by the time we started bf, my nipples had already started toughening up. And my milk came in sooner than it did with Grace. So as of yesterday (day 4), she was just 2oz away from her birth weight. She feeds every 1-3 hours right now. Last night she slept in three hour stretches, but the night before she was up every 30 min to an hour. She's definitely pooping well--it is now the stereotypical yellowish breastmilk poop. I've actually already started a freezer stash of pumped milk.
~AmazedByYou~ and Missa_Mae like this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

Last edited by ThaiSpice; April 16th, 2013 at 10:57 AM.
April 16th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Oh yeah, my freezer is overflowing with storage right now lol we are considering buying an extra freezer for all of it!

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

April 16th, 2013, 11:05 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been fairly lucky as far as my nipples/breasts are concerned. My lactation consultant was amazing and she gave me the larger flanges for my breast pump so that my nipples wouldn't get crushed and squeezed too tightly in the tube. I'm actually using 30cm flanges which are pretty big. She told me that she wants the pump to grip more of my areola and not my nipple only and this has worked like a charm.

As a side note, I used lanolin for weeks before giving birth because my nipples were hurting and my newborn care teacher told us to use it before delivery.

I also put on lanolin after every other feeding and I put the nursing pads into my nursing bra every time. My nipples stay nice and cushioned and happy. At bedtime I take hot showers and put on more lanolin and let them breathe and I only pump at night.

I'm VERY careful to make sure that Darion latches onto my areola and not my nipple and I haven't had any trouble at all. I hope that continues. So far... so good.
Karilynn6 likes this.
April 16th, 2013, 11:35 AM
anjawb's Avatar Super Mommy
I was a little worried that things were wrong, and actually went to see the lactation consultant this morning. I dot feel anything in my left breast. It doesn't fill or get firm, and I dont feel anything happening when she is nursing. My right breast, however, hurts all the time. I have to massage it throughout the day, and i can feel her sucking milk out with every suck. It also becomes really full and firm.

They weighed Antonia, and we were hoping for 6-7 oz since last wednesday, and she gained 11!!! so obviously my boobs are working... They also said that I can stop waking her up at night and let her sleep up to 5 hours! Until now, I have had to wake her up through the night to feed. My easy baby just got easier!!!

April 16th, 2013, 12:14 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Mine is going pretty much as I would expect at this point. He's nursing usually every 3-4 hours, and that's the consistent schedule both day and night. Here and there he throws in a cluster feeding just to keep me on my toes.

As of his 3-day check, he was down on weight so we have an appointment to follow up on that. He was also minimally jaundiced at that point, but my milk hadn't come in until that day so it wasn't a surprise. Later that day was when the poop transitioned from the tarry meconium to the seedy breastmilk poop.

New picture in progress......
April 16th, 2013, 12:28 PM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
It's going wonderful for us!
He latched minutes after birth and has been doing great. My milk came in the third day and is building up even more now. He eats every 3 hours usually, sometimes he likes to comfort latch for a few minutes in between if he wakes up.
My nips are handling it well they aren't even sore.
He poops all the time and was back to birth weight on day three.
I had my first episode of let down today when he started crying as daddy was changing his diaper. That was interesting.
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

Last edited by CrunchyMommaTo2; April 16th, 2013 at 12:39 PM.
April 16th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So far Aaron is giving me hope that I will FINALLY succeed at bfeeding a baby! We had some troubles in the beginning, not so much with his latch, that was pretty spot on but with him staying awake. Although they had me waking him up every two hours to feed he refused to wake up! I finally gave him some time and noticed that he would wake up naturally every 3 hours to nurse and when it was his decision to wake up he would nurse much more effectively. At night he nurses right at 3 hours but during the day he will go 2-3hrs.

He had lost almost a lb from his birth weight when he went in for his first check up at 4 days old. So we had to supplement with formula. Once we started supplementing his weight went from 5lb 15oz to 6lb 2oz in one day. Two days later he was still at 6.2. I'm not sure what his weight is as of today, we have his 2 week appointment on Friday. They did tell me that since he was nursing better that we didn't have to supplement with every feeding, just when he seems unsatisfied.

My nipples have held up great! No cracking or bleeding....my other 3 had me cracked and bleeding before even leaving the hospital. I have noticed that Aaron prefers the right breast to my left, he gets down right angry when nursing from my left.
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

Mommy to 4 boys
April 16th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Karilynn6's Avatar Proud first time Mommy!
Breastfeeding has been interesting to say the least. It was super painful at first! I think it hurt worse than any of my contractions did (and I wasn't on any medication during labor). My nipples developed scabs at first, but they went away 3 or 4 days later, and the pain is mostly gone. Baby goes more than 3 hours between feedings, and we had to wake her every time for the first week so she could eat, which was frustrating for all of us, but she gained her birth weight back quickly.

Now, she's getting to be a bit fussy while feeding and seems to be crampy & gassy in the evenings, which makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. If it gets worse, I might try eliminating certain foods from my diet to see if that helps. I hate seeing her in pain after feeding!
April 16th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Karilynn6's Avatar Proud first time Mommy!
Breastfeeding has been interesting to say the least. It was super painful at first! I think it hurt worse than any of my contractions did (and I wasn't on any medication during labor). My nipples developed scabs at first, but they went away 3 or 4 days later, and the pain is mostly gone. Baby goes more than 3 hours between feedings, and we had to wake her every time for the first week so she could eat, which was frustrating for all of us, but she gained her birth weight back quickly.

Now, she's getting to be a bit fussy while feeding and seems to be crampy & gassy in the evenings, which makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong. If it gets worse, I might try eliminating certain foods from my diet to see if that helps. I hate seeing her in pain after feeding!
April 16th, 2013, 06:53 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's going pretty good, she destroyed my right nipple the very first time she nursed, it took me a while to get her to latch so when she did I didn't have the heart to correct her and now I'm paying for it. The other boob is pretty painless by now, but the right one still hurts. Engorgement is also tons of fun lol, j.k. She only lost 4ozs and was back to birth weight by 6 days old. Pooping like a champ. She does a lot of cluster feeding, she only usually eat once at night but that one time can last 2 hours sometimes. No complaints other than the boob pain.
April 16th, 2013, 08:51 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Like Missa, I pump exclusively and George obviously doesn't take feeds well, so she's mostly fed via naso gastric tube.

with that being said...we're on like day four of her receiving only breastmilk and she is gaining weight =) She was born at 7lb 10 oz, went down to 7lb 1 oz, but is back up to 7 lb 7 oz =)
linds2012 likes this.

April 17th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Super Mommy
breastfeeding is going great most of the time. She eats every 2-2.5 hours during the day and every 3-4 at night. last night we even got her to sleep in her bassinet for a little while (though she ended up in our bed after the 1:30 feeding because she was making too much noise). The only problem is that about once a day she throws a fit while feeding where she tosses her head around and grunts alot. it makes feeding difficult to say the least.
April 17th, 2013, 07:32 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrochetingMama View Post
Like Missa, I pump exclusively and George obviously doesn't take feeds well, so she's mostly fed via naso gastric tube.

with that being said...we're on like day four of her receiving only breastmilk and she is gaining weight =) She was born at 7lb 10 oz, went down to 7lb 1 oz, but is back up to 7 lb 7 oz =)
That's great that she's gaining so well!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 17th, 2013, 07:51 AM
melshaz@earthlnk.net's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm having a hard time this go 'round. With my first we did great and I exclusively breast fed but this little one is so hungry all the time he would constantly nurse if I let him. He doesn't open his mouth very wide even with my prodding so though he latches he doesn't get enough of my large nipple and I am in pain, bleeding. I do think they are healing now but it is still so painful to BF I have been pumping as often as possible so he is still getting my milk but my nips are saved! It makes me sad though because I would like to nurse him. I am hoping if my nipples toughen and heal that things will get better. I am also not producing enough for him. He is taking 2-3 oz every 2 hours! I have been mixing breast milk with formula to make the difference. I hope things get better for us soon but am trying to stay positive because as long as he is happy and gaining weight as he should then everything is ok.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search