Baby Language (must watch)

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By anjawb
  • 1 Post By anjawb

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 07:27 AM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgkZf6jVdVg
I know that I have seen this before but since I'm about to have a little one and some of us are first-time mommies I figured I would share this video. It's the five sounds that babies make and what they mean. Hopefully this will save us some stress once we figure out what our little ones are trying to tell us.

April 17th, 2013, 07:35 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've seen that before...I thought it was really, really interesting!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 17th, 2013, 09:48 AM
anjawb's Avatar Super Mommy
So neat! I am definitely going to be paying more attention!

April 17th, 2013, 10:03 AM
I googled and found this "key". Thought id share for those who want to listen and memorize these sounds.

• Neh (I'm hungry) - An infant uses the sound reflex "Neh" to communicate its hunger. The sound is produced when the sucking reflex is triggered, and the tongue is pushed up on the roof of the mouth.
• Owh (I'm sleepy) - An infant uses the sound reflex "Owh" to communicate that they are tired. The sound is produced much like an audible yawn.
• Heh (I'm experiencing discomfort) - An infant uses the sound reflex "Heh" to communicate stress, discomfort, or perhaps that it needs a fresh diaper. The sound is produced by a response to a skin reflex, such as feeling sweat or itchiness in the bum.
• Eairh (I have lower gas) - An infant uses the sound reflex "Eairh" to communicate they have flatulence or an upset stomach. The sound is produced when trapped air from a belch is unable to release and travels to the stomach where the muscles of the intestines tighten to force the air bubble out. Often, this sound will indicate that a bowel movement is in progress, and the infant will bend its knees, bringing the legs toward the torso. This leg movement assists in the ongoing process.
• Eh (I need to be burped) - An infant uses the sound reflex "Eh" to communicate that it needs to be burped. The sound is produced when a large bubble of trapped air is caught in the chest, and the reflex is trying to release this out of the mouth.
bellasky likes this.

April 17th, 2013, 10:25 AM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
Anyone hearing these sounds with their little ones?

April 17th, 2013, 10:27 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
man I hate Oprah, I wish she'd just shut up and let that lady talk lol. I've seen that video going around before but never bothered watching it, finally seeing it makes sense. I'll definitely see if I can figure out what my baby is "saying" very interesting indeed.
April 17th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Karilynn6's Avatar Proud first time Mommy!
Yes, I'm so curious to see if any of the moms think this is accurate. I'm reading Harvey Karp's "The Happiest Baby on the Block," and he wrote about studies that proved people couldn't accurately determine the different meanings of babies' cries. I've heard lots of people say they can, so I'd love to know if it's worth trying to decipher them.
April 17th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never watched the video nor have I seen the key that was posted. I think they are very interesting. I know that with time it is easy to decipher your childs cries.

Mommy to 4 boys
April 17th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Ive been listening all day, and have heard a couple of these easily, but I have not heard an "neh" sound at all. I can tell when she is hungry though. Im thinking that my baby girl just cant make an "n" sound.
bellasky likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search