After all the talk about hospital bags...

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MsRK
  • 2 Post By Purple_cat
  • 1 Post By Mommyof2with1onway

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2013, 05:39 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Was there anything that you were REALLY glad you took with you?

Anything you took with you that you just didn't use?

For those still preggo...have you packed your bag yet, or are you waiting until you go into labor?

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 20th, 2013, 05:49 AM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
We ended up not having a bag packed because labor at home was going well. Then all of a sudden when we needed to leave immediately DH just threw a few things in a bag.
The next day he came back and grabbed what we actually needed. We didn't need much besides nursing tanks for me, change of clothes for LO, Chapstick, and shower/bath stuff. DH came home twice a day to take care of the dog and showered here and such.

April 20th, 2013, 06:04 AM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We do have a small bag packed and in the car this time, with DD we packed it the day we were induced. I suppose I'm being optimistic this time. I have just the basic clothes, hygiene items and camera. We also have cloth diapers and the going home outfit. We live literally two minutes from where I'm delivering so it will be easy to run home and get anything I might need.

April 20th, 2013, 06:24 AM
LeedaRenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had my bag packed for weeks lol.

One of the things I can't do without is my Depends. They work so much better than the hospital pads.
April 20th, 2013, 06:49 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my bags packed at 30 weeks. I didn't use any pjs or the robe.
I was super glad that I took my slippers and my laptop. I was playing this ocean /beach waves video on my laptop during labor and it helped me so much. Its the same video I watched when I had morning sickness and it helped calm me.

But the best thing that I brought along was my body pillow. I used it to get comfy all during labor and after child birth. I kept saying "I'm so glad that I brought this thing".. Being able to prop up my hips still, or fold it in half under my legs to keep my knees up or just plain snuggling it like I used to. It helped me sleep before and after childbirth in those hospital beds.
Tracy87 likes this.
April 20th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been packed since 34 weeks, since that's around the time I delivered the last time. Now at 39 weeks and 2 days...I feel like maybe if I unpack it, I may deliver sooner!!!
April 20th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our bag is packed and we have a lot less things than we did with my first daughter. I keep thinking that it will happen any day. With my first daughter we packed while I was in labor but we decided to pack earlier this time since we will need to take our daughter to a friends house and I have heard that second labors can be faster. Of course I also thought it would come earlier and here I sit at 41+ weeks. Haha the joke is on me.
jen747 and MsRK like this.
April 20th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
the one thing I missed in packing was slippers!

Although I was lucky, my bag was 80% packed when I went into labor at 36 weeks. I didn't bring enough nursing tanks though, and I forgot a sweatshirt. Thank goodness we only live about 10 min away from the hospital so my SO was able to go home & get stuff for me.

I didn't need all the bath stuff because the hospital provided a huge gift bag with all that stuff in it (and good quality stuff at that!)

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

April 20th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Regular
i used pretty much nothing i brought. i brought my tablet and used it the night before she came to play solitaire (i had to stay overnight to be induced). i used my nursing bras and i used my toiletries (shampoo and conditioner toothpaste etc). but thats about it. i didnt touch any clothes until i was on my way out. except for when the photographer came and took pics we dressed baby up in her going home outfit. all that packing and planning for nothing...
April 20th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Veteran
I knew that I wouldn't use much at the hospital because I would be busy snuggling with the baby. All I took was a change of clothes, toiletries, and my camera. Oh and my pillow, I have to have my own pillow. I remember with the other two, I way over packed and felt like I was moving in to the hospital and didn't use any of it. I should have packed extra clothes for the baby though because they changed her to clothes right after her bath and she kept peeing or pooing on her clothes. We could have kept her in the hospital onesie but I didn't want her to be swaddled all the time, so dh had to go out and buy her a couple of sleepers.

April 20th, 2013, 01:15 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used just about everything I took. Did not use the kindle, though.

I was especially glad I took these:

Boppy. It came in very handy, especially when she was still hooked up to all sorts of tubes, monitors, etc...it made holding and nursing her easier.

My own pillow. I hate all other pillows. And since I had to sleep in a recliner for a couple of days, it was nice to at least have my own pillow.

Snacks

Gel pads

Comfy pj pants, nursing tanks, slippers--I was very uncomfortable in the hospital gown, especially with having to go back and forth between my room and the NICU.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

Last edited by ThaiSpice; April 20th, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
April 20th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Liztastic's Avatar Super Mommy
**Lurking from the May** love this thread! I just started packing my hospital bag today, so this is very helpful for those must haves!

Mom to:
Madalynn Faith ~ 2001
Alala Love ~ 2004
Elle Rain ~ 2008
Tilly Moon ~ 2013
April 20th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Mommy :)
My stuff is somewhat packed - ok I have it all together it is just not in the bag. I still need to get some nursing pads an some more tanks bc I only have 1 right now but I have a nursing gown that I will probably wear majority of time in hospital.

Maybe if I out it in my bag things will happen... My best friend is about to head over now to go walking
MsRK likes this.

Mommy to

Laycie (August 2007)
Kayleigh (May 2009)
Jaxon (April 2013)
April 20th, 2013, 03:42 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
The only thing I never really touched while in the hospital was my laptop. I used pretty much everything else, although I ended up having a few extra outfits for Xavier that I didn't use. The biggest lifesaver was my pillow. Those beds are terrible so at least I had something that comforted me!!

April 21st, 2013, 04:55 AM
SMB80's Avatar Veteran
I will find out what was necessary and what wasn't when I get induced tomorrow. Although something that I didn't originally think to include in my bag is now getting packed. We have a manual back massage roller (shaped like a handle with 4 wheels) that my husband has to use on me practically every day. I'm sure it will come in handy when I'm in the hospital!

“In all things it is better to hope than to despair”
April 21st, 2013, 06:15 AM
Veteran
One thing I wish I had brought was a small fan. I don't know about you guys, but I was always hot when I was pregnant ( actually still am off and on) and I couldn't keep it cold enough in the room to keep me comfortable and not freeze out the baby. I was literally dripping sweat laying there. Finally got a fan the next day. It was so much better!
April 21st, 2013, 08:05 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin2 View Post
One thing I wish I had brought was a small fan. I don't know about you guys, but I was always hot when I was pregnant ( actually still am off and on) and I couldn't keep it cold enough in the room to keep me comfortable and not freeze out the baby. I was literally dripping sweat laying there. Finally got a fan the next day. It was so much better!
This is really good idea especially for those getting c sections. I went from freezing to sweating after mine and luckily they had an awesome clip on fan that I used and now own. I didn't use some of the things I packed but did wear my bathrobe and slippers when walking (left the hospital gown on in case of any stains).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search