BF question...

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By mama3o
  • 1 Post By MommysPocket

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a quick question... Maya's been nursing quite well, however today and yesterday, she is nursing well for one boob. For long too... like 30 minutes but then when I try to switch her she passes right out...is this ok? My milk came in with a vengeance at the hospital yesterday, so swollen today, but she's doing great and pooping and wetting just fine... Just want to make sure that I'm doing this correctly. She nurses on one boob for 30-45 minutes actively. LC at hospital said to let her go till she's finished and I do, or should I switch her sooner????

sorry , kind of 2 questions!!!
April 24th, 2013, 08:12 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Definitely let her finish on one side...as long as she wants. You can offer the other side and she may or may not take it. We usually just do one side. If you switch them too early, they can get too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk, and that can upset their tummies and also leave them less satisfied. Sounds like you're doing the right thing!
Sneetch likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 24th, 2013, 08:18 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Some people say to switch the baby after 15 minutes to the other breast. When I was learning breast feeding in the class this was the instruction that we were given.

However, more often then not Darion nurses on one breast for 30-40 minutes. Then I pump milk for both breasts. Then next feeding I make sure that I use the other breast for his feeding. Just give both breasts equal time.
April 24th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks!!!! They told me not to pump at all yet. They said wait till my supply regulated first. Right now I can't fit in a bra 3 sizes over my normal dd. crazy!!!!
anjawb likes this.
April 24th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first daughter she would nurse for 60-90 minutes on one side and I just let her since I wanted to make a good supply. She rarely would go for the second breast after that so I just made sure to use that one the next time. I want to say that she did it that way for over a year and I always had great supply. At some point after that she started taking both sides but it never caused a problem before that so I didn't worry about it. It sounds like you are doing great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama3o View Post
Thanks!!!! They told me not to pump at all yet. They said wait till my supply regulated first. Right now I can't fit in a bra 3 sizes over my normal dd. crazy!!!!
I just wore sports bras for a long time or the Motherhood Maternity sleep bras. My cup size became something ridiculous that I don't even remember now but the sleep bras and sports bras worked well for me.
April 24th, 2013, 09:18 AM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You're doing fine! DD block fed too. I had a nursing bracelet that had numbers on it. You would move the slide to the hour number she ate (2 for 2pm) and the. Wear it on the side she last ate. Then I knew about when she would feed again and that I needed to start on the opposite side to keep things even.
Purple_cat likes this.

April 24th, 2013, 10:56 AM
anjawb's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama3o View Post
When I was bra shopping I had to go to the expensive higher end store for a E, and im still kinda spilling out of it...

April 24th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Samuel quite often only wants one side at a time. But then he's usually back for more pretty soon.
April 25th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Right now I cant fit into a 36 F...Which is crazy... I am going to try to order some bigger ones, because the swelling has gone down quite a bit and they still don't fit. They don't cover my nipples! It's pretty comical, I ought to take pictures of these things, (for myself) They are quite scary looking!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjawb View Post
When I was bra shopping I had to go to the expensive higher end store for a E, and im still kinda spilling out of it...
It is really going great though! I am so super excited...feels like a huge accomplishment, especially since I was not successful with any of my other ones, when strictly nursing... I was able to pump but never able to accomplish nursing. So proud of me!
April 25th, 2013, 10:59 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Good job on nursing!! I don't think it's a problem at all that she only eats from one side at a time. Mine all have often done that so I just make sure I know which side to start from the next time. Sometimes, it's only 15 minutes before he's interested in the other side, or sometimes it's 3 hours. Sounds like you're doing great so I wouldn't stress too much!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search