Spitting up- normal or something more?

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2013, 11:12 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Once again, Ingrid is teaching us just how different two siblings can be in all aspects of their behavior and habits!

James spit up a normal amount- a little here and a little there, sometimes a lot, generally just straight down. He got both formula and breastmilk from the tap (aka boob).

Ingrid is exclusively getting breastmilk, 95% of the time from the breast. And man does she spit up more! We cannot figure out if it is normal or a sign of mild reflux and we cannot figure out a way to alleviate it. AND it is really messing with everyone's sleep, and that SUCKS.

She will eat normally from the boob (10-20 min happily nursing away) and will burp (sometimes) and then will spit up anywhere from immediately to an hour later. She gags and chokes on it, often gets the hiccups, and destroys everything in the vicinity since it goes near and far (though not truly projectile.) And I think she doesn't like all the wet around here, so that messes with her sleep even more, if she's laying down.

We've tried putting her flat on her back and in an inclined bouncer- no difference. She spits up on our shoulders upright. She spits up repeatedly sometimes in a session. She's been known to barf while on the boob. (That's always a delight.) She barfs awake, she barfs asleep. We've tried bottle vs. boob- no difference. We've tried just giving her one boob at a time to see if it's an overfeeding issue - that sometimes seems to help. But then she sometimes still acts hungry and we can't tell if it's legit or just her being unable to understand her hunger cues yet.

Sometimes she gets so frantic I can hear her gulping down the milk on the boob- no doubt sucking back air, which makes things worse. The worst is when she has a big spit up mid-feeding and then gets the hiccups and gets so upset that she is frantic and upset and not latching properly and starting a vicious cycle of more spitting up.

That's a lot of sometimes-es. The only thing I know is that she always is confusing us and NEVER frigging sleeps unless she's being held. I'm exhausted.

I don't even know what I'm asking. I don't even know IF I'm asking anything here- maybe I'm just venting. I guess I'd take advice if anyone has it. Otherwise I'll take a night where I get more than 2-3 hours of sleep and don't listen to a screaming baby all night long.

May 3rd, 2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran
SoundS like maybe she has some reflux. Colton has been diagnosed with reflux after having a barium swallow test. You could see it come right back up as he ate. He is formula fed. He doesn't have regular reflux but silent reflux where it doesn't come out but instead goes in his mouth and then he swallows it and it burns causing him to cry. He will choke on it and most of the time sounds gurgly or some kind of noise when he breathes. This happens when he is eating, after he eats or when he wakes up. Pretty much anytime. He is worst when laying flat so we bought a rock and play. He is slightly better in that but not much. He doesn't burp much or easily and gets horrible hiccups several times a day that sound like he is going to throw up. He is pretty uncomfortable a lot of the time. He is on zantac. He has been sleeping a bit better since on that. He is currently on soy formula powder. We are going to try the ready to use soy to see if it being a littke thicker makes any difference.

Sounds like several things are what you are experiencing. Hooe you are able to find out what you can do to help so you can get some sleep!

May 3rd, 2013, 11:58 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
I am not sure if i have any good advice as Lilly spits up too I bottle feed though so it could be different reasons.. I notice when she gets super frantic about feeding she will take way to much and cough and spit up... or when she starts falling asleep she will suck but not swallow and again cough and spit up... She is not that good of a burper either. we are getting her to be better with sleeping by her self I don't co sleep anymore I was too scared it bothered me because I would be so tired, that tired that I am sure you feel that when you DO sleep it's a sleep you don't even realize you are in because it's so deep and I would wake up not realizing I even fell asleep... She would be on my chest fine but it just freaked me out =/ I am so sorry you are dealing with that! I know one thing... Lilly is very dramatic haha, I try to laugh things off but sometimes it gets very discouraging not knowing what to do!

May 3rd, 2013, 04:36 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh man...I don't have any advice really. So much at this stage is guess work. It kind of sounds like reflux, but I don't have any experience with it, and wouldn't know how to tell the difference between reflux and regular spitting up. I do hope you guys can get it sorted out, though.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

May 3rd, 2013, 04:41 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is she gaining steadily? If she is gaining then I personally wouldn't do much about it. You can try different nursing positions, side laying nursing, holding her at an upright angle, have her straddle you etc. You can also try block feedings, offer the same boob for 2 feeds in a row, sometimes it's a too much foremilk issue. But honestly some babies are just big time spitters. Cora spits up moderately, and sometimes it seems like her entire feed comes back up within minutes of eating, but then she passes out. Not sure what that's all about. I feed on demand though so if she isn't demanding I don't feed again. I knew a baby that was a hard core spitter but was in the 90th percentile for growth. Point being he was obviously retaining enough nutrition to grow quite well. Does she act like the spitting bothers her? Does she arch her back and scream when she spits up?
May 3rd, 2013, 05:15 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anya, yeah, sometimes it seems like between a couple of big spits, there can't possibly be much left in her belly, but she stops asking to eat, soooo... I'm with you that I don't know what it's about.

Sometimes she acts like she's uncomfortable when she spits up- not always and not intensely- but then who can blame her? I'm sure it isn't fun. Especially when she wakes herself gagging and trying to get it together and not choke and then she swallows air.

The good news is she is definitely gaining weight- she's around or over the 7lbs mark now, up a pound from a good week or week and a half ago or so. And she has plenty of very wet diapers and poops too. So in terms of input, I know it's generally good. After a particularly rough night the other night she had very little overnight pee and poop, but made up for it in the morning and it was a one time thing (that I'm watching carefully for.)

I think since it is appears to maybe only be minor reflux, I don't think we'll go through what we'd have to do to test for it or medicate. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse and it's just a symptom of her being a 37 weeker that is still maturing her insides.

May 4th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
That sounds exactly like Henry.

Mia had mild reflux and mild spit up.

Henry, when he goes, will drench everything. He pukes up everything, and then he'll get hiccups and mad. I cant find a tried and true reason; its mainly burps and soon after feeding, BUT it will also happen an hour after a feeding, or when we've gotten great burps from him.

We are doing weight checks now, as he's not always miserable from it, but happening more and more.

I do know he has had silent reflux since birth and the power pukong has steadily gotten worse.

I'm nervous as my first was borderline FTT.
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
May 4th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Excited first time mommy!
Just wanted to throw in my two cents here. Dylan started "spitting up" more frequently and more violently. I knew something wasn't right- even though I am a FTM, the "most babies spit up" didn't console me. His daddy had surgery when he was 9 weeks because he had pyloric stenosis and I kept asking the doctors to look for signs. His doctor said it was just acid reflux and put him on zantac because he was still gaining weight. I was told until the vomit goes across the room, to not worry. I insisted on testing and turns out his pyloric valve (the one between his stomach and intestines) was almost completely closed off. His food would go into his stomach, try to go down, not be able to, and come back up. The test was just a barium x-ray and the doctor could tell right away- he had to have a quick 30 minute surgery immediately. It's a condition found in about 3 out of 1,000 babies so it's quite common (Dylan was almost guaranteed to get it since his dad, grandma and cousin had it) He hasn't gotten sick a single time since his surgery. Just a suggestion to mention to your doc if it seems to get worse!
May 4th, 2013, 06:03 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Katie seemed to spit up quite a bit compared to my other ones. It really seemed like she was getting more food than she could handle. I always fed on demand (and do this time as well), but she would often act hungry, and then it never failed that she would spit it back up. She was gaining fine. Anya's idea that she may be getting too much foremilk seems completely plausible to me. Xavier's is more often when we can't get him to burp, and it is usually much later.

As another little note, my twin sisters were breastfed. One of them had no issues at all. The other one was a notorious spitter-upper. Whoever was holding her KNEW they were getting puked on -- it was just a question of when. One Christmas Eve, she threw up all over my aunt. Another time my friend and I were watching them while my mom ran to the store, and we kept having to move her around from one spot to the other on her blanket because she just kept spitting up everywhere. We started to panic as we were running out of blanket. There was nothing "wrong" with her. Unfortunately, some kids are just pukers.

New picture in progress......

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search