Nursing in Public

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2013, 05:51 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How comfortable are you with nursing in public? If you do it, do you cover up/find an out of the way spot, or not?

Is it common in your area to see mothers nursing in public?

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

May 9th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Mommy :)
So far I have planned my outings around feeding a but we have an appt and errands today so I will have to feed at sometime. I will use my cover a friend made me and to begin with I will probably do it somewhere in private until I get comfortable doing it.

There are more women starting to bf around here with their covers.

Mommy to

Laycie (August 2007)
Kayleigh (May 2009)
Jaxon (April 2013)
May 9th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
I've breastfed him a few times in public including at dinner in a restaurant the other night. I used a cover at the restaurant and it depends on what kind of shirt I'm wearing and how fussy/distracted he is and whether he is going to pull off a lot and expose me. I don't use a cover if we are out at a park or the such. I just ordered some nursing tanks that seem like they will work great for nursing in public because its just like a pocket for you to open for the nipple area rather than pulling up or down my whole shirt.

May 9th, 2013, 08:15 AM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Haven't had the chance yet. But with DD I only used a cover if she was super distracted, other than that I didn't worry about it. I haven't seen very many women nursing in public around here.

May 9th, 2013, 08:23 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've nursed in the doctors waiting room once and I used the "Udder Cover" that I bought and it was great. It provided a lot of privacy and it sits right and covers well and baby cant pull it off.
May 9th, 2013, 08:31 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a whipper-outer. I've taken to not wearing a bra (helps that I'm normally an A cup) because it just gets in the way. So add a nursing tank and I'm ready to go. I nursed Ingrid on a bench in the middle of the farmer's market in the heart of downtown yesterday while chatting with a stranger. Then later I popped in the office and since it was all women coworkers around, I didn't think twice to pop a nip out and get her on while standing there talking to them.

If I'm in a place that seems particularly crowded or might be weirded out, I'll cover to latch and if my shirt leaves a lot of my chest exposed (like in the cleavage/center or my whole stomach/side) I'll try to cover that part just to minimize the attention.

I find that if I'm casual about it and just aim to be discreet, it's no biggie for me to just do it. Once she starts doing that pop on and off thing I might sing a different tun though- it so much easier to expose yourself with a distracted eater!

As for seeing people nurse, I can't say that I've seen a lot, but my area is the type of place where its really common to see kids in baby carriers of all types and it is accepted. I received nothing but positive or "didn't even see it" stares from folks yesterday, from people of all ages and genders. I can't say I've actively seen a lot of bfing moms in public, but I might not have even been paying attention since it's not a big deal for me.

May 9th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first I only nursed in public a couple of times and I planned our activities around being home to nurse. Tons of people here nurse in public though, it doesn't seem to be a big deal at all. I would say it is more uncommon to see people use covers than it is to just see people nursing. This time I have already nursed in public and it wasn't a big deal. I am personally more concerned about exposing my stomach in its current state so I wear a tank top under my shirt so I can lift my regular shirt up and pull the neck of the tank top down and I am good to go. It also helps that this baby nurses 10-15 minutes instead of 90 minutes like my first daughter.

My MIL gave me a nursing cover when I was pregnant with my first daughter but I felt like I never had enough hands to deal with that and getting my daughter latched so I never used it.
May 9th, 2013, 09:09 AM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't yet. I ordered a nursing cover online and plan to use that. It is not uncommon for women to nurse in public around here. Most use a cover though.
May 9th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Super Mommy
I have only seen one woman nurse in public. I nursed in my dhs office the other day and one of his coworkers (male) and one of mine (female) walked in and chatted with me while I was nursing. I wasnt using a cover. the problem for me is i never know if she is going to be good or if she will pull on and off 40 times. so far I have found it easier to just go to the car or bathroom to nurse so I can completely take my shirt off so that it isnt in the way.
May 9th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't bother with a cover. I dress appropriately so I don't have to expose my whole stomach because no one wants to see that but could care less about exposing my boob. I am totally a whipper outer too. I have friends that wear nursing covers and most people I see NIP use a cover but I can't stand them, don't care to carry another thing with me and can't be bothered with an additional step of putting on a cover PLUS I think they draw more attention than just nursing. I'm on kid #3, I can nurse discreetly while doing whatever it is I am doing
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

May 9th, 2013, 05:00 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will NIP. I'd prefer to be as discreet as possible, but I don't have a cover. I sometimes use a blanket, though. And a lot of times I'll just nurse in the car, if it works out. I also skip the bra and just wear a nursing tank. That way my belly is covered.

It is quite uncommon to see anyone nursing out in public here, even with a cover. I can't even remember the last time I saw it.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

May 9th, 2013, 08:36 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I occasionally see women nursing in public, about half of them use a cover, or maybe more. I don't own one and I nurse on demand. So far I've nursed while grocery shopping, regular shopping, several different playgrounds and my nephew's b/d party. Maybe more, I swear every time we are out somewhere the girl wants to nurse lol so I'm constantly nursing in public.
May 10th, 2013, 10:35 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I've never had a problem nursing in public. Otherwise, I would be trying to coordinate feedings around outings, etc., and I can't always do that, especially now with older children. With my #1-3, I don't recall ever using a cover, and I nursed wherever I needed to. I was discreet about it, and I never really got too many stares. With my last 2, I have used a blanket. I don't like the covers, and really, I don't like the blanket, but I do it more to appease my older children and other people who are not so nice about nursing in public. The kids and I get so hot with the blanket, especially since I am always hot. I nurse wherever I am, but I have been trying to nurse in the car more recently, particularly because I usually have the youngest 2 by myself, and I can't corral the 1 1/2-year-old while I'm trying to nurse. That works okay most of the time, except for the day that she locked me out of the car while I went to put Xavier back in his seat. Lesson learned - I leave my door propped open a bit now so that she can't do that. It also depends where I am on how much I try to cover up. Out of respect, I'll cover up when guests are visiting us (unless it my or hubby's family), but my friend also nursed so I don't think she'd be offended. She is the only other person I've ever seen nurse in public, and she used a cover when she did. When I visit work, some people will flat-out tell me they don't mind because they'd rather I stay and visit than go sit by myself. So, again, it just depends.

And like a few of the other ladies, I actually think it calls attention to it more by having a blanket or cover-up. I'd rather not do it.

May 10th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it's pretty common to nurse in public with a cover here. I'm comfortable doing that. I wouldn't be comfortable in public without a cover, though.
May 10th, 2013, 01:36 PM
nikki-pie's Avatar Expecting #1 Apr 5th!!
I just whip it out it doesn't bother me at all but ive never been shy about my body at all
May 10th, 2013, 03:14 PM
JennBer's Avatar Super Mommy
I have a couple of times so far. I dont use a cover but do have a light weight blanket i use when i do NIP. I usually try to do it in the car but will anywhere if need be.

May 12th, 2013, 05:28 AM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Finally had the chance to NIP. Used the Moby and nursed at Rainforest Cafe and the movie theatre. All went well.

May 12th, 2013, 10:53 AM
JennBer's Avatar Super Mommy
Up until now I have tried not too though I ended up having to at a couple of different doc's offices and then of course in the car a few times(which I don't think counts since I sit in the back seat and my windows are tinted pretty dark) but today while we were out to lunch little miss decided she needed to eat and I ended feeding her in the middle of a busy restaurant, we did pretty good. Managed to not expose myself and keep eating all at the same time.

May 13th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Veteran
I'm not shy about nursing in public at all and I don't bother dealing with a cover and all that. If I'm going out of the house I wear a nursing tank under whatever top I'm wearing so that my stomach stays covered - I'm more upset about people seeing my stomach than nipple I just get her on and go with it. So far we've mostly nursed at parks/playgrounds and family/friends houses.

With my first son I think the funniest place I nursed was at an Oxen pull I was the first person in my family to nurse when I had my son and I got a lot of comments (we aren't a quiet family ha!) but I just kept with it and didn't care - like hell was I going to sit in some spare bedroom all alone on a holiday! After a while the comments stopped and now it's just normal with Joey so far
MommysPocket, mama3o and nameetog like this.

May 13th, 2013, 07:46 PM
anjawb's Avatar Super Mommy
I do a combination of just whipping it out, draping a blanket and using a cover. It really depends on where I am and what i'm doing. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but I live in such an open area, that if I am sitting in a cafe, many people would not hesitate rubbing her head while on my boob, and thats a little close for my comfort, so ill drape a blanket. If she is overly eager, or fussy, and keeps dropping the latch then I will use the cover to make it easier to see and get her back on the boob.
mama3o likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search