BF question # 1000000000

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi... I am not sure if I just stink at BF, but I am having a hard time at night and in the am. First, my lo cluster feeds from like 7 am till 10 am. She wants to eat all morning. I am fine with that, except I can't do anything but feed her! I have a 3 and 4 yo, who don't get this and seem to reek havoc during this time! My 3 yo gets a devilish look the minute I am feeding her and knows he can get away with more during this time. He actually has been ignoring me if I call him, knowing that I can't get him. I'll deal with that, it was just a vent. She also cluster feeds during the 7-10 pm. This is fine too, but again... I guess I'm having a hard time, getting nothing else done but feeding her. Then at night she wakes every hour and a half for the past 2 days. She falls asleep while feeding so I think that's why she wakes so often. I try everything to wake her, and she is not wakeable! I am just really tired and want to bf but I don't think I can function on no sleep when I really can't nap all day. My little ones don't nap, so there is no napping. I was considering supplementing her with formula at night. Part of that reason is because I am not pumping much. I added 2 pump sessions per day, and barely get 2 oz. Now she has 10-12 wet and poopy diapers a day, so I know she's getting enough, and dr. feels like she's gaining.... but I'm so not good at not sleeping at all. Does anyone have any suggestions?
May 11th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
Have you tried wearing her to breastfeed? It works great for me, I have two hands and can get things done around the house while my ds eats.
The cluster feeding is normal and will change. My ds cluster feeds for a few days and then will pretty much sleep constantly for 2 days its linked to his growth spurts I've noticed.
As I'm sure you've read before baby nurses the breast better than any pump. So just because you pump 2 oz doesn't mean that's all baby is eating each session. You will also pump less when exclusively breastfeeding because most is going to baby. If ds sleeps through a feed and I pump I can get 9-10oz but on a normal day I can only pump 2-3 oz because he is keeping my breasts "lower" on milk and they don't get engorged.
I also usually sleep during night time feedings. Sometimes I wake up and ds has latched himself and I go back to sleep. Most of the time I wake up, change his diaper, latch him and fall back asleep while he eats. He sleeps on my chest though so it makes it easy.

Last edited by Pretty Crispy; May 11th, 2013 at 02:07 PM.
May 11th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Will your other kids watch tv? We don't normally watch a lot of tv here but I knew that I would be more open to it once the baby came. Can you put on a movie to entertain the other kids while your baby is either nursing in the morning or at some point in the afternoon so you can lay on the couch and at least rest a bit at some point during the day? My baby sleeps a couple hours in the early morning after my other daughter wakes up so I have been putting a movie on in the morning so I can catch a little sleep when the baby does. Would that work for you?

As for night time feeding have you tried nursing in bed? I know that helps a lot of people get some rest at night. I still sit up to nurse but after a couple months with my first daughter I figured out how to nurse laying down and that helped a little bit.

I have a friend who used a bottle of formula at night that her husband fed the baby and that saved her sanity because she could get a little more sleep at night and allowed her to keep up with breastfeeding for all the other feedings.
May 11th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks girls, I am trying all of the above!!! The tv thing I've been doing so I could cluster feed her, but when you think about it, it's been 5-8 hours a day. That's a lot of tv when the sun is shining, and weather is beautiful! I just feel bad like I'm not paying them any mind. I think it's my hormones. I actually considered the formula at night. I am going to wait and see how tonight goes. I know these growth spurts sometimes last 2-3 days... So we will see. I even considered just giving her a bottle of expressed milk tonight, just to give me a break! Who knows!!!
May 11th, 2013, 07:00 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Mine isn't even cluster feeding that much, and I have trouble with my 1 1/2-year-old. She knows when I'm talking to her, but she will look up at me and then giggle and take off the other direction. She has discovered several times, though, that I can still snatch her up even when I'm nursing. As you get more used to nursing, you will be able to have the use of at least one of your hands more. Also, I've never had a baby carrier, etc., but that is seeming to help me some since I bought one last week. He will sleep or just snuggle up contentedly while I have to deal with her, get dinner stuff together, etc. And my little one has NO interest in TV, which I've always been thankful for, until now.

I definitely second the sleeping with them next to me. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I NEED my sleep. My whole family suffers when I don't get it so they appease me. I will start Xavier in his swing or the crib when he first falls asleep around bedtime. Then I just move him into our bed with me whenever he first wakes up. I don't even stay awake while he is nursing. Again, I know not everyone is comfortable with that, but it works for us, and this is my 5th child doing that with.

And remember, this first 1-2 months goes by in a fog, but before you know it, you will be past this stage, and Maya will be on more of a routine.

May 12th, 2013, 05:33 AM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I second wearing baby to nurse. We use a homemade Moby Wrap and I can hands free nurse him while still playing with DD, eating or cleaning.

May 12th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks... Well one thing I figured out is that dairy is giving her a problem. both nights she didn't sleep, I had ice cream and she was gassy and fussy. Last night she slept 2 five hour sessions and she was fine. She is staying awake between the sleep sessions about 2 hours, which is tough! But it's slightly better. I know that I won't nurse for long, because I teach and I am not comfortable with pumping at work, but I will go as long as I can!

AS far as sleeping while nursing... I can't I've tried! She loses her latch and same with moving around. I have semi flat nipples so therefore it's next to impossible to move once she is situated. But I will do my best!
May 12th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am glad that you got some rest, it makes a world of difference! It seems like several babies I know have issues with dairy so I am glad you were able to figure that out. It is a pain to cut dairy out of your diet but it is probably worth it for some sleep! (Also there are really good non-dairy ice creams out there now).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search