Crib mattress wrapping to prevent SIDS

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Sneetch
  • 5 Post By MsRK
  • 1 Post By plastikmom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was reading some stuff about co-sleeping today when I came across information about wrapping crib mattresses. I thought the information was compelling enough to share. Apparently most crib mattresses are made to be flame resistant using chemicals which can actually create toxic gases when they meet household fungi (fungi which is normal and not harmful by itself... if I remember what I read correctly ).

There is a belief that these gases can contribute to SIDS. In New Zealand, there was a campaign to wrap crib mattresses in order to trap those gases, and apparently their SIDS rate has gone way down, and there have been zero reported SIDS deaths among babies whose mattresses are wrapped (over 200,000 wrapped mattresses).

The first article I read gave three options to avoid the fumes. The first was to purchase an organic mattress, the second was to wrap the mattress and the third was to co-sleep.

I also read that SIDS is more common in 2nd babies and even more common in 3rd (and so on), which lends credence to the theory. Apparently the gases are more prevalent as a mattress ages.

I hope I didn't get anything wrong here. I'm not referencing what I read as I type this, just trying to remember. And I'm not usually one to be paranoid about things that haven't been proven, but this seemed pretty valid to me, so I thought I would share.
*Anya* likes this.
May 16th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ive heard of this before. We co sleep or use the cosleeper which is not a traditional crib mattress. My kids go straight from that to a regular bed, not a toddler bed so we don't ever use crib mattresses SO Ive never looked too far into it myself BUT I have read/heard the very same

May 16th, 2013, 02:34 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Interesting...I hadn't heard that. Will look into it!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

May 16th, 2013, 03:15 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I avoid the flame resistant crap whenever I can. I hate that so many kids pjs have it, I don't' buy them but it limits my options. We co sleep and haven't even bought a crib this time, hopefully we won't ever need one and can avoid this whole issue.
May 16th, 2013, 03:42 PM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always feel so frustrated doing SIDS research.

EVERYTHING is wrong. Everything. If you read one article with research it says one thing, then others say something completly different.

I've even read one where doctors don't even want the babies on their backs because some have died from choking on spit up.

They tell you don't let them sleep on their sides, stomach, in swings, in car seats, no co-sleeping, no swaddling because they might over heat and that may be a cause, no baby formula, on and on and on...

It really makes me crazy. I wanted to be educated because the research shows that boys are at higher risk than girls but I don't know WHAT to believe and go with. It can be maddening sometimes.
May 16th, 2013, 04:01 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think boys are more susceptible than girls because all the circumcision related deaths get written off into other categories, under reporting issue. Also boys are more susceptible to neurological damage from vaccines (not sure why, never looked into it deeply since I already don't vax and don't have boys). I do believe that all the chemicals can contribute to SIDS, I believe that vaccines can too. If you look up the age when SIDS mostly occurs, it's 2-4 months. That suggests a vaccine correlation to me. That's just my opinion though. Obvious stuff like blankets and toys around the baby when baby is sleeping. And having baby in a different room thus not knowing when baby is having a problem or is struggling with something. At least those are the things I feel are somewhat in my control, there are many things that I can't control and can happen, but what's the use in dwelling on them if I can't do anything about them.
Like I said, these are just my opinions and what I've sort of gathered over the years since having kids.
May 16th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
I kept Lilly's mattress in the plastic it came in and put the waterproof pad over it idk if that makes a difference lol

May 16th, 2013, 11:57 PM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
I read an article about this a long time ago. If I remember correctly it talked about how baby drool and spit up can break down the flame retardant chemical and turn it into a gas which baby can breathe in. This is why the SIDS rate went down when babies started sleeping on their backs, there was more ventilation and less direct breathing it in. This also explained why second and third babies have higher SIDS rate if using the same mattress, more drool, more breakdown and more chemical released. The study was from Australia or New Zealand and the article mentioned that if this was true the government would never let us know because they require the flame resistant covering and thus would be responsible. Conspiracy theory? I don't know. My kids don't sleep in a crib, but I thought it was interesting. Scared me enough that if I used a mattress, I'd wrap it.
Sneetch likes this.
May 17th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Veteran
Thanks for posting this! I had no idea and dh has our old crib mattress in Colton's bed. Thankfully he is sleeping in our room still. The mattress we were going to use is 14 years old which made me nervous to begin with. Not sure I can convince dh as he even wanted to use the drop side crib and 14 year old car seat but I will be getting a new mattress. Of course this is the same guy who bought angel care monitor because of SIDS....

May 17th, 2013, 12:50 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmm. Ryder isn't in a crib yet. We should've bought the organic one! Might have to.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search