Vaccines?

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Missa_Mae
  • 1 Post By kimberley

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2013, 02:21 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Are you or aren't you vaccinating?

Why?

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

May 21st, 2013, 04:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
HOT TOPIC...

We vaccinate. I feel very strongly in the importance of vaccines

May 21st, 2013, 05:39 AM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
I hope this can stay a calm thread since this topic never seems to and always ends up heated.

To each their own just do your research.

We are not vaxing L. I feel very strongly about not injecting my child with all of the other "crap" in vaccines. L is not going to daycare so his exposure to anything will be very limited. We decided to vaccinate those around him instead. My adult body can handle it better than his tiny one. I got very sick as a child after my vaccines, and not just fussy and feverish - ending up in the hospital sick with random outrageous symptoms. Rare, but I'm not taking that chance with my baby.

Last edited by Pretty Crispy; May 21st, 2013 at 05:44 AM.
May 21st, 2013, 05:40 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Vaccinating.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

May 21st, 2013, 06:23 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We totally vaccinate. I think any risk there might be to the negatives of vaccines are outweighed by the prevention from the diseases they are designed to avoid. Some of those illnesses are NO joke. I find the rise in some of these diseases that we thought were eradicated disturbing and I can't help but wonder if it is partially due to those that are not vaccinating. But I'm no expert, so who knows if I'm on to something or off my rocker.

I do avoid some of the vax's though. Like I won't do Hep B until it's really needed for school and there was another one- Rotovirus I think?- that I didn't do with James because it seemed kind of silly and my ped said to avoid it since it was so new then. I try to be fairly educated and make sure my questions are answered. I don't feel bad about saying no to the docs if I think I'm advocating for what's best for us.

May 21st, 2013, 06:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am in the same school of thought as Maine Bean, I only vaccinate certain ones. I don't do Hep B, I've done a lot of research about who gets Hep B and risks of vaccinating for that one. I don't do rotovirus either. The rest I do do. None of my kids have had rotovirus since my first got very ill from it. My whole house actually got sick from it... I do the typical DTAP and MMR, although I do like them on a bit wider of a schedule.
May 21st, 2013, 07:38 AM
I should have made a disclaimer that I was not asking this to start a debate.

That said, it def hasnt started a debate, so that's good!

I am just curious as to others views on this. Being a FTM I feel like I am in the dark on a lot of things. I attempt to do research but its hard to believe everything on the internet

May 21st, 2013, 07:43 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is probably the one subject that I spent the MOST time researching pre-pregnancy, during and post-pregnancy.

MAN is there a lot of information out there. I have a whole file in my office dedicated solely to vaccines.

What I concluded was two things:

First, I would pick and chose which vaccines that Darion would be given. Some of the illnesses that some the vaccines are ment to protect against have horrible outcomes even if he manages to fight it off himself or in the hospital. There is also good statistical data confirming their success at protecting him against said illnesses.

Even though I plan to home school and won't be doing day care I will be allowing him to play with other children who are doing those things and he can easily contract an illness from them.

I just believe that some of the vaccine's benefits GREATLY outweigh the risk that they MAY pose.

Some are much too new and others have poor statistical data about their effectiveness making them too big of a risk for me to give him.

Secondly, I am spacing out the vaccines so he isn't getting them in one big lump.

I handed my pediatrician a vaccine schedule at his 2 month appointment detailing exactly when I want each vaccine administered. (time wise) We discussed the schedule in length and she agreed to it.

Spacing out the vaccines has two benefits. First, if he is going to have a bad reaction to a vaccine I will know which one he is reacting poorly to making treatment for the bad reaction easier. Secondly, it gives his little body time to adjust to each of the vaccines and I'm not bombarding him with a bunch of new chemicals and such at once.

I think whatever choice people make regarding vaccines should be their own. As long they have taken the time to truly do the research on the matter before deciding which way to go.

Last edited by MsRK; May 21st, 2013 at 07:47 AM.
May 21st, 2013, 09:28 AM
Mommy :)
vaccinating

Mommy to

Laycie (August 2007)
Kayleigh (May 2009)
Jaxon (April 2013)
May 21st, 2013, 09:41 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We vaccinate but on a slightly delayed schedule. We get started at 2 months but we only do 1-2 shots at a time. It means more office visits for us to get vaccines, but I feel a little better spacing them out. We do wait to do the Hep B vaccine until she is a little older though because her risk of being exposed to it before then is very small.
May 21st, 2013, 09:57 AM
MsRK - I am going to space out Tessa's vaccines too. She got 4 yesterday and I learned too late that was way too much. She was crabby, fussy and exhausted all day and is still sleepy today.

I didn't do much research, I'll be honest, as I put my faith in the Pediatrician ... but I am learning that I have to speak up for my baby and tell them what I want for her. Not every baby is the same so why have the same vaccine schedule?
MsRK likes this.

May 21st, 2013, 01:25 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not vaxing. In my opinion the risk of an adverse reaction to the ingredients outweigh the possible benefits vaccines MIGHT provide.
I didn't do any research with my daughter, followed the general guide lines, it's after she got a reaction (mild) to MMR that I started researching, we stopped vaxing her at that point, and Cora will not be vaxed.
May 21st, 2013, 01:39 PM
Super Mommy
vacinating.
May 22nd, 2013, 09:57 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
Owen had a 104 fever for 6 days and a full body rash following the pneumovax so we've put that on the allergy list, but thankfully I only got that vaccine that day. We delay/selectively vaccinate. We only ever do one vaccine at a visit, and we don't start vaccinating until 1 year. There are vaccines I will not allow them to have (Varicella, etc) but I will say that rotavirus was AWFUL to have. My son had it at.. 2? he was literally having diarrhea head to toe 6-8 times a night in the middle of the night. Needed a bath every time because the smell was the worst thing I've ever encountered- like something had DIED in his intestines and was decomposing. He became severely dehydrated and lethargic and scary. I got him to the ER ASAP and after 2 liters of fluid he still hadn't produced ANY urine. The vomiting was so bad that there's a bleached spot on our carpet where he vomited even though we cleaned it immediately. It was projectile and terrible for everyone involved.

the 6-8 times a night was in addition to 10 poopy diapers an hour. He would arch his back, and SCREECH in pain everytime he pooped. They gave him morphine in the ER because it was so bad and he continue to cry every time even after.

May 22nd, 2013, 01:37 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't know yet.. everytime I research it, I get confused and don't know what to believe.
Missa_Mae likes this.
May 22nd, 2013, 01:51 PM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are delaying and being selective.

May 22nd, 2013, 05:51 PM
Tamimomof5's Avatar Super Mommy
vaccinating
May 22nd, 2013, 06:57 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
We vaccinate on the standard schedule.

May 22nd, 2013, 08:03 PM
anjawb's Avatar Super Mommy
I am leaning towards spreading them all out, but vaccinating.

I will say that I was told yesterday that there are 14 confirmed cases of whooping cough at the High School. The one day I work is supervising 6 HS students, and Antonia has been coming with me, so I am very glad that I got the TDAP while pregnant, so I know that she is covered!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search