BF Questions

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2013, 05:25 PM
JenLee's Avatar Veteran
Hello ladies! I have a couple of BF related questions. Ava is my 3rd baby, but the first that I have bf, so I am a little lost.lol

1. Ava's bm were completely normal, but suddenly they stopped. She has not had one since last Mon. and it was normal. She has plenty of wet diapers a day and does not seem to be in pain other than the occasional gas fit. She is 8 weeks old. Is this normal for a bf baby? My ped. said that she may not have one everyday, but how long is too long?

2. Is it normal for her to wiggle, or stiffen while nursing? Her whole body will stiffen, her legs will lock and she will completely straighten out, then she will relax. She does this over and over in a feeding.

She has a 2 month check up on Thurs. but I'm thinking I may need to call tom. Am I overreacting?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JenLee; June 2nd, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
June 2nd, 2013, 07:02 PM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
BM is digested a lot easier than formula so its not uncommon for nursing babies to not have a bm but Im not sure how long is 'too long'. If she isn't in pain or acting constipated I don't think there is too much of a worry but def something to ask the Dr. about.

As for the stiffening. Noah is tense at the begin ing of our feeding and as it goes on he relaxes but he doesn't do it more than once.

June 2nd, 2013, 08:49 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been told its not uncommon for a baby to not poo for several days especially if breastfed.

Ryder tenses up during feedings too, but it almost always means he's about to poo. He also tenses up when the boob is near empty.
June 3rd, 2013, 02:00 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Darion had some BM problems in the beginning for a while there. It was first because we had given him some formula to supplement until my milk came in. Then he was just having some problems in general. He would skip like two days then finally poop. Then once he went way longer. After 5 1/2 days and no BM we took him to the pediatrician.

She said that it isn't uncommon for babies to go a few days but you shouldn't wait past 5 days to see the pediatrician in the beginning. His stomach was bloated and hard which meant that he needed too poop. She had us buy the Children's glycerin suppositories and told us to insert half. After about 6-7 minutes he pooped up a storm!!! So much so that I had to quickly swap out his diaper when he was in the process. After he was done we gave him a bath with the calming bath wash and he passed out and slept for 4 hours. He seemed a million times happier as well when he woke up.

The doctor told me that it's all about what I eat that will make the difference. She told me that whole grains and such are much better than white flour products (which I knew) but it is really the incorporation of lean meats and lots of fruits and veggies that will keep him regular. I was already doing the whole grains and lean meats but really wasn't doing the recommended amount of fruits and veggies.

So I made sure that I had a serving or two of fruits or veggies with EVERY meal. (starchy fruits and veggies don't count like corn, carrots, bananas etc) Now my Dr. Fuss poops like a man!! One time I got the craving for watermelon and had a decent size wedge about 3 times in one day. OMG!!!!!!!! It was a poopaganza!! I found that watermelon and mangoes really make him poop a lot during the day. So I had to cut back on eating a lot of those eat day. I do eat one serving of those every other day.

Once I got kind of sick from a horrible allergy attack with sinus problems so I was only eating quick food for two days. Just grabbing a quick turkey sandwich or things like that. I was still eating but barely any fruits or veggies and such and his pooping slowed down. He even skipped a whole day. So I went back to eating right when I was better and he went right back to pooping correctly again.

Now my little man is ultra regular. He poops about 3 times a day with that perfect mustard color with the white bits of curdled milk in it and he is MUCH happier, alert and active as well.

So first, I think you should call your doctor and take him in. Then, just try changing your diet for a few days and see how that effects him when you are eating whole grains, lots of fruits and veggies and lean meats. It has the added effect of making you very fit as well so everyone wins.
GOOD LUCK!

Also LO only stiffens up when he is trying to poop. I know that a poop is coming when he starts doing that.

EDITED: Because I forgot to add.. WATER! Drink lots and lots of water.

Last edited by MsRK; June 3rd, 2013 at 02:30 AM.
June 3rd, 2013, 02:14 AM
nikki-pie's Avatar Expecting #1 Apr 5th!!
When I was pregnant I attended a BF class they said that some BF babies will only have 1 bowel movement a week it just depends on how much of your milk is being absorbed I guess.
June 3rd, 2013, 05:36 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think it's that uncommon for a BF baby. There's a wide range of normal. I agree with what the others have said. Hope it resolves itself!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

June 3rd, 2013, 07:50 AM
JenLee's Avatar Veteran
Thanks ladies! I called her ped. and they said as long as she didn't seem to be in pain, that it was okay. They told me to try a warm bath and if that didnt work a rectal thermometer. We have had issue after issue with her. First she was spitting up really bad in the beginning, her face/head/chest broke out in a rash, and she would cry all night, not wanting to nurse, just gassy. I took her to the dr. and they thought maybe reflux so they started Zantac. I suspected that she was having a reaction to dairy. My boys both had a milk allergy (one had soy the other on nutrimigen) I cut dairy out just to see and on about day 3 the spitting up slow down and she slept better at night. Her little stomach is so sensitive. I took a few small bites of icecream the day before yesterday, spitting up is back and we have been up the last 2 nights crying. She finally went to sleep at 5 and slept until 8. . Hopefully, the dr. can give me some advice at her 2 month checkup on Thur.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search