shots

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Missa_Mae
  • 1 Post By *Anya*
  • 1 Post By MsRK
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By Pretty Crispy
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen
  • 1 Post By dylans_mommy
  • 2 Post By Purple_cat
  • 3 Post By MaineBean
  • 1 Post By mama3o

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
This being my first I have very little idea about shots.... so I have a couple questions about them!

Ok so first.. what shots don't some of you get for your LO and why?

If your LO does get shots... how do they react to them? Do they scream in pain or a whimper and then fine?

How do they do after? As in, do they have a fever or get really fussy or sick?

Lilly gets her shots next Thursday we'll the start of them I have a family friend whom said her son had a fever and was extra fussy after for a bit

June 8th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Every baby reacts differently. Tessa screamed but it didn't last long. I didn't do my research until after her first round & regret it. She had 3 shots plus an oral vaccine which was too much. Next time I am spacing them out. She was a bit fussy for a day or 2 ...
Cortney6983 likes this.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

June 8th, 2013, 11:32 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not doing any, I've done the research and to me the benefits do not outweigh the risks.
With my first before I did the research we vaxd on schedule at first, she screamed. horrible blood curdling scream, it was very sad and made me cry every time. She also was cranky for 2-3 days after them. The only time she got a fever was after MMR.
Cortney6983 likes this.
June 9th, 2013, 03:12 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am allowing darion to have a good deal of the recommended vaccines however they are being spaced out . No more than 2 vaccines in a 9 -10weeks period. He got his first two at his 2 month appointment.

He is a funny baby though because he is a slave to the breastmilk. When he has it all is well. I took pumped milk with me to the appointment and I took it out to feed him before and during the shot.

When she stuck the needle in his thigh he paused from sucking for 3 seconds then started to cry but it only lasted 3 seconds too because he realized the bottle was still in his mouth and went right back to sucking. *LOL* That was all that he did. The nurses were cracking up because they said that most babies holler and scream.

I told them that as long as he has his breast milk all is right with the world. *lol*

I saw no change in his behavior or signs of illness of any kind afterward. I could tell that the spot that they stuck was a little sore for a 1/2 day because if you touched it by mistake he would whine but that's it. By morning there was no soreness.
Cortney6983 likes this.

Last edited by MsRK; June 9th, 2013 at 03:14 AM.
June 9th, 2013, 06:33 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Grace never had a bad reaction to her shots. Sometimes she got one shot, and sometimes a few. Her reaction was pretty much always the same: sleepy and a little fussy for the rest of the day, then back to normal.
Cortney6983 likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

June 9th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
We aren't doing any either. The benefits don't outweigh the risks for us and I am not purposefully subjecting my infant to pain for a reason that may not even protect him.
I don't trust their effectiveness or safety.

I've done a lot of research and both DH and I are in the healthcare field so we aren't oblivious to the risk of L not being vaccinated but its just not for us.
We don't travel out of the US anymore and L doesn't go to daycare or have play dates with multiple other children.

Expect that she will be fussy and sore and possibly have a fever. Those are the common side effects of vaccines. There are much worse rare side effects though.
Cortney6983 likes this.

June 9th, 2013, 09:58 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Mine usually scream for the shots. Xavier had his first set at his appointment last week, and he held his breath. It's a scream that I don't hear from him normally. It took him a few minutes to get calmed down. And I refuse to hold my kids while they are getting them. I nurse them as soon as they're done. We do them on schedule.

My kids have reacted a little differently, but they've been minor reactions. Xavier slept most of that day but not so much at night. He was back to normal the next day. Most times I give them a little Tylenol before we go to the appointment, but I didn't have any on hand, and he did fine.
Cortney6983 likes this.

June 9th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Excited first time mommy!
I took him for his two month shots. It was 3 shots and oral drops. I was worried about how he would react, but I know he's a tough little guy because he made it through surgery without needing pain meds.

I gave him Motrin about twenty minutes before we left. I made sure he was fed and happy During each shot, he cried a little, but calmed down after each injection and tried to go to sleep. The rest of the night he was a little fussy and felt clammy so I did give him some Tylenol a few hours later. I think it's harder on us than it is on them!
Cortney6983 likes this.
June 9th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have refused a couple of the vaccines (like Hep B) and we do them a little more spaced out. Our pediatrician mostly follows the schedule in the Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears.

Our older daughter was usually fussy the day of/ after shots so we just had quiet days at home. She also would sleep well that night. She didn't have a bad reaction until we got her the flu shot so we haven't been giving her the flu shot each year.

My oldest would cry for a few seconds during the shot but she would recover quickly.
MsRK and Cortney6983 like this.
June 9th, 2013, 06:10 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ingrid got 3 shots- one with the Hep B that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten yet- and was tired and had sore legs for the next day. She got the shots and had a silent scream before she found her air and let loose. But it only lasted a few seconds because then I popped her on my boob and that made everything ok. She had already been overtired before the shots, so she konked out in the car and then slept for 4 hours.

We do mostly on schedule vax. We said no to the oral rotovirus after talking to the ped. It is wonderful having a doctor you feel like you can talk to and say "ok, thanks for explaining these, I say yes/no to X, y, and Z."
Purple_cat, MsRK and Cortney6983 like this.

June 10th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't get the hep b...and will spread the others out.
Cortney6983 likes this.
June 10th, 2013, 12:47 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylans_mommy View Post
but I know he's a tough little guy because he made it through surgery without needing pain meds.
***!? surgery without anesthesia? Would you consent to something like that for yourself? Assuming the answer is no, why does your BABY have to be tougher than you!? a grown up!? And what kind of doctor would slice into a NEWBORN BABY without anesthesia? wow. Assuming it was circumcision, so not only did the baby get tortured, it was also for no reason. Fail.
June 10th, 2013, 01:12 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know the details, but I think he had some kind of GI surgery. I'm assuming a bit here, but she could have meant pain meds after the surgery, not anesthesia during the surgery. But again, I am not sure. I just thought I read in another thread something about him having surgery on his pyloric sphincter, maybe.

At any rate, it's tough to think about the little ones having to go through any kind of pain, for sure.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search