attempting soy formula

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2013, 02:06 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry you've had such a hard time ladies!

For the record, I couldn't care less how you feed your baby, but if you ARE interested in trying to get baby back on the boob, it IS possible. (That's other issues aside- I'm just talking about reteaching baby how to BF and to get your body back to making more milk.) A gal from my other DDC got her son back on the boob like 6 months after birth or something like that since he had (has) some serious feeding issues. It certainly wasn't easy- sounded like it was a real trying process- but it was possible.

But seriously, this isn't some sort of veiled attempt to get people to stop using formula! I did half breastmilk, half formula with my son and it was so much better to not be stressed. (I dealt with the bleeding and cracking and scabs for like 8 weeks just to get to half and half!) This time I feel like I'm just lucky that Ingrid had a good latch this time and my body was just clued in to making milk better. I would have supplemented in a heartbeat if I had to again. But if you really want to try to get the kiddo back on the mom milk, there is information out there on how to do it and I can testify to the success in real life.
Cortney6983 likes this.

June 10th, 2013, 10:33 PM
becca4steven's Avatar Veteran
Dont feel like its your fault just cause ypu stopped breastfeeding doesnt mean that tgey has got this gassy. I breastfeeding and my baby is gassy. Its the acid in there belly that does it. Its not cause ypu changed to the bottle. Have ypu tried giving breaks when feeding? Also I had adivce is feed them when they are not gping to rush it down. Eg before there 2 hours. It helps then they are not in such a rush for it. Also o dont care how people feed there childrem mine wpuld of been bottled if I cpuldnt breastfeed. So your doing what you nees to do for ypur child xxz
Cortney6983 likes this.

June 12th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone else to try to not be hard on yourself about formula. My baby is gassy and miserable and I am nursing, so I don't think that nursing necessarily prevents that. How is the soy formula working? Is it helping?
June 12th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
Not really her constipation is worse she does spit up more to im going to talk with her pediatrician tomorrow about possible silent reflux

Last edited by Cortney6983; June 12th, 2013 at 11:31 AM.
June 12th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If she is spitting up that is probably not silent reflux, it sounds like regular reflux. I took my baby in to the doctor to talk about reflux and I was covered in spit up, crying, and holding a screaming baby. It was not my finest moment so far. I hope that you can get some answers and some relief!!
June 12th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortney6983 View Post
Not really her constipation is worse she does spit up more to im going to talk with her pediatrician tomorrow about possible silent reflux
The constipation will take alittle bit to go away after starting soy. For Colton it took a good week to poop normal and he still had a couple bouts over the next week.

June 12th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananamagic View Post
The constipation will take alittle bit to go away after starting soy. For Colton it took a good week to poop normal and he still had a couple bouts over the next week.
it foes go away though?

June 12th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Veteran
Quote:
it foes go away though?
It did for Colton. He had some poop in the beginning that was really hard. Then it was sometimes hard sometimes good. Eventually it was all good. Hope your appointment goes well!

June 13th, 2013, 12:43 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
thanks for the encouragement! I really do appreciate it, I did try to keep it up, Lilly was not good at latching she liked to slip to just the nipple (if she even attached) I would slip her off and try again as many times as it took and she just would get sooooo mad she would scream her head off and i would cry and cry. My nipples were cracked, bleeding and bruised but i kept trying I would let her suck while I was crying my eyes out biting my lip stomping my feet to let her get the milk she needed, once I finally decided to just pump.. all I had was the pump from the hospital which was only a hand pump. My insurance was willing to pay for a pump fully no money down! But they needed a doctors note, they said just have someone from the hospital write a note and send it after i had Lilly. So I kept trying to tell people in the hospital that's what I needed them to do.. well they kept saying that someone else had to do it. I even waited 6 extra hours at the hospital on our Going home day just to wait for the Lactation Consultant to ask her to write one.. nope. Had to be her pedi... whom said it had to be someone from the hospital. I kept trying I called everyone daily. The lactation consultant called and kept saying I needed a pump that the hand pump wouldnt work much longer... well I gave up. I had no money to rent or buy one, I finally decided after crying many hours that this was not worth the stress. Next time I will plan better.
Hello Cortney.
If you are truly interested in getting your baby on breast milk I have a brand new breast pump that I would like to send you to get you back on track. My insurance gave me a bit of a run around too and I went off so badly on them that I ended up getting two different pumps. *lol* Its a long story but, long story short, I have a brand new Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump still sealed in its box.

If you are going to work at getting your breast milk flow back (because it will take a little time to build up your supply so it will take a commitment from you to pump regularly) I will gladly send you the pump for free.

The pump is a double electric and it seems to have good ratings. So if you can trust me with your address or a PO box just pm it to me and I will send it off to you. I would love to see you get the baby on breast milk if you really want to. However there is NO SHAME in needing to move to formula. Breast milk however cost considerably less.

Anyway tell me what you wish to do and in any event GOOD LUCK. It will work out for you.
jen747 likes this.

Last edited by MsRK; June 13th, 2013 at 10:34 AM.
June 13th, 2013, 09:58 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
Even if the baby has colic/reflux/etc. I would never use soy formula for many reasons. Here is an article about the AAP's stance on soy:
AAP Updates Its Stance on Soy Formula - Children's Hospital Colorado-Denver Area, Rocky Mountain Region

and here are links of the dangers:
Why Soy Formula (even organic) is So Dangerous for Babies

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...id-tumors.aspx

Phytoestrogens are cited in causing breast tissue growth and testicular shrinking in boys as well as early breast development and extremely early periods in girls.. amongst 100 other things. If you can't use milk based formula (which most babies can), hypoallergenic is the next best.. Soy isn't any good for anybody.
Cortney6983 likes this.

Last edited by ~AmazedByYou~; June 13th, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
June 13th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRK View Post
Hello Cortney.
If you are truly interested in getting your baby on breast milk I have a brand new breast pump that I would like to send you to get you back on track. My insurance gave me a bit of a run around too and I went off so badly on them that I ended up getting two different pumps. *lol* Its a long story but, long story short, I have a brand new Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump still sealed in its box.

If you are going to work at getting your breast milk flow back (because it will take a little time to build up your supply so it will take a commitment from you to pump regularly) I will gladly send you the pump for free.

The pump is a double electric and it seems to have good ratings. So if you can trust me with your address or a PO box just pm it to me and I will send it off to you. I would love to see you get the baby on breast milk if you really want to. However there is NO SHAME in needing to move to formula. Breast milk however cost considerably less.

Anyway tell me what you wish to do and in any event GOOD LUCK. It will work out for you.
Thank you for offering but I think after dealing with not being able to I came to terms with it, I hope this doesn't sound bad! I just don't want to deal with anymore stress right now =/ but I thank you so much!
MaineBean likes this.

June 13th, 2013, 04:58 PM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Thank you for offering but I think after dealing with not being able to I came to terms with it, I hope this doesn't sound bad! I just don't want to deal with anymore stress right now =/ but I thank you so much!
No problem and I do understand. Do what's best for you and your baby. I am hanging onto the extra pump until Darion is 6 months then I am going to donate it if it hasn't been used. So the offer stands until then if you change your mind.

Good luck ! *HUG*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search