attempting soy formula

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
Well our next step is going to be to try soy formula. wish us luck something has to give

June 9th, 2013, 11:57 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hope it works out. Is she on milk based formula now? What kind of issues is she having?

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

June 9th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope that it helps! I was on soy formula as a baby and it helped me a lot.
Cortney6983 likes this.
June 9th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Veteran
Colton on soy as was my dd14. Colton switched at one month. He had so much gas and the soy really helped. He also has silent reflux and is on ready to feed formula which seems to help with the reflux.

June 9th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
I thought you were BF'ing? Did you stop?

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

June 9th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missa_Mae View Post
I thought you were BF'ing? Did you stop?
It didn't work out.

I have not been comfortable saying it on here due to being worried about negativity from those who are very pro breast. I wish I could have it just didn't work I did however try and try to pump as well.

June 9th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Oh no negativity from me. At least you tried! Sometimes it just doesn't work but there are plenty of good formulas out there. Any reason for soy?
mama3o, MsRK and Cortney6983 like this.

June 9th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Don't feel bad! Only you can know what's best for you guys. You gave it a shot. Don't let mommy guilt get you down...It's not for everyone. And every bit she did receive was beneficial. But the important thing is that she's fed and healthy and you guys are happy.

June 9th, 2013, 06:01 PM
She is extremely gassy, always in pain screaming its not right the pediatrician told us last time time to try soy formula so I am going to try

June 9th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Good luck...hope it helps!
Cortney6983 likes this.

June 9th, 2013, 09:27 PM
JenLee's Avatar Veteran
I completely understand about the gassy/screaming thing. Ava was not sleeping at night, she would just scream all night, it was awful. I am still nursing, but the dr. suggested giving her a soy bottle (she has a sensitivity to milk, I am off dairy) at night, so I started that Thurs. She has slept through the night since, no more screaming. I do not blame you, I have debated switching to formula for the same reason. She is just so sensitive, I hate to see her hurting.
Cortney6983 likes this.

June 10th, 2013, 02:29 AM
I think about it all the time... She probably wouldn't be like this if I tried breast feeding harder. I hate how much she seems to be in pain but the doctors write it off as normal

June 10th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Good luck with the soy. You could also try the Gerber Good Start Soothe.

June 10th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Veteran
Cortney please don't beat yourself up about not breast feeding. You are doing a great job caring for your baby. I know it can be intimidating when you don't breastfeed. I feel the same way. Feel free to PM me anytime.
Cortney6983 likes this.

June 10th, 2013, 07:22 AM
becca4steven's Avatar Veteran
If she screaming n in pain it maybe cause she has reflux as that what my little boy did all the time. Pepple told me to cut out cows milk but I dont get enough calcium in a day on what I need. So took him to the docs n they said it was reflux and gave us gavison for him to have. Xx
Cortney6983 likes this.

June 10th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Don't be hard on yourself Courtney. I quit breastfeeding too. I have four kids and i would have sucked at being a cave woman! I struggled terrible with it. I am lousy without sleep and the baby would feed for hours at a time while my little babies would wreck my house and pull out all the toys... I felt like I was losing my mind and my sanity was so much more important! Can't take care of all my kids if I'm a mess! Don't feel that way at all. It's a tough call and you gave it your best...kudos to you!

I'm trying to figure out the formula thing too and I have four kids....It's one of those things that no matter how much experience you have, you still need to figure things out!
Cortney6983 likes this.
June 10th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Excited first time mommy!
I'm in the same boat, Cortney. I wasn't able to breast feed and now he has horrible gas. I know that he wouldn't be having this problem had I been able to breast feed... But everything happens for a reason and I know we're doing the best we can for our children Mommy guilt is a powerful thing, but so is mommy pride!
Cortney6983 likes this.
June 10th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Def don't beat yourself up.

I am struggling with some guilt about not trying hard enough to get my little girl to latch on. I feel if I would have kept up at it - it would have eventually been fine. Instead, I'm exclusively pumping and it's exhausting!!

How was her appointment last week for the reflux? Any other recommendations besides the Soy formula?
Cortney6983 likes this.

June 10th, 2013, 12:06 PM
thanks for the encouragement! I really do appreciate it, I did try to keep it up, Lilly was not good at latching she liked to slip to just the nipple (if she even attached) I would slip her off and try again as many times as it took and she just would get sooooo mad she would scream her head off and i would cry and cry. My nipples were cracked, bleeding and bruised but i kept trying I would let her suck while I was crying my eyes out biting my lip stomping my feet to let her get the milk she needed, once I finally decided to just pump.. all I had was the pump from the hospital which was only a hand pump. My insurance was willing to pay for a pump fully no money down! But they needed a doctors note, they said just have someone from the hospital write a note and send it after i had Lilly. So I kept trying to tell people in the hospital that's what I needed them to do.. well they kept saying that someone else had to do it. I even waited 6 extra hours at the hospital on our Going home day just to wait for the Lactation Consultant to ask her to write one.. nope. Had to be her pedi... whom said it had to be someone from the hospital. I kept trying I called everyone daily. The lactation consultant called and kept saying I needed a pump that the hand pump wouldnt work much longer... well I gave up. I had no money to rent or buy one, I finally decided after crying many hours that this was not worth the stress. Next time I will plan better.

June 10th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Stressing is def not good. Sounds like a bad experience!

My insurance covered my pump - I had to pay upfront for it and then submit a claim form and they reimbursed me. I actually got 2 pumps!

Tessa would do that too - latch and then slip off, or she'd get confused and I hated seeing her turn red and cry like that. She took the bottle so well so I just decided to pump and bottle feed. I still try to latch her every now and again and she does get on but she gets confused ...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search