Very painful gas (formula fed) question

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mama3o

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2013, 04:59 AM
Excited first time mommy!
Hey guys! I've noticed that little man's gas has been getting worse. At least once a day, we have to fight with him to help him get the gas out and that can take upwards of two hours. He also seems constipated and I notice a huge change in his behavior (positively) when he finally poos. He's not a fussy baby whatsoever so I know when he's crying, turning red and straining, something is wrong. We've tried gripe water, tummy massage, bicycling, hyland's colic tablets, gas x. I can't stand to watch him go through this much struggle!

The doctor said that infants have to "learn" how to poo and fart, but this doesn't seem normal. He even had to be moved to his crib because he wakes up, grunt, groan, cry, fart and go to sleep again.

He's on Enfamil Gentlease. We've landed on this formula because it's designed for fussiness and gas. It doesn't help, but other formulas definitely seemed worse.

Can anyone suggest how to have a conversation with my doctor, or something else we should try?
Because of insurance issues, we can't go see his ped until July 1st. Thanks!
June 10th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Veteran
We switched to soy formula due to really bad gas and fussiness. It helped a lot but there was an initial spell of bad constipation after switching. Our pediatrician told us to give him sugar water to help constipation - one teaspoon sugar to one ounce formula. I don't know how long ago you switched formula but it seems like you need to try something different to me. What others have you tried?

June 10th, 2013, 06:17 AM
becca4steven's Avatar Veteran
He may have reflux. My little man has got it but he is breastfed. He has trouble passing wind n did take up to two hours to go n he wakes himself up when he has got it. Xx

June 10th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
What other formulas have you tried?

Have you looked into the Gerber Good Start brands? The Soothe & the Gentle formulas are amazing. We were supplementing with the Gentle back when we thought Tessa had reflux. She didn't have any issues with it. She's off it now and on only BM but I have heard amazing things about the Gerber brands.

If you haven't tried it I would def suggest giving it a go!

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

June 10th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Yes, we've tried Gerber soothe. Similac has a gentle formula we've tried, too. He has been diagnosed with reflux and he's on zantac for it. Ped also suggested putting karo syrup in bottle and that barely helped... Also using Dr. Brown bottles. I heard that soy formula will increase constipation, but is it worth trying at this point?
June 10th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My lo is on goodstart gentle and is extremely gassy. We are trying to figure out how much gas is normal...She passes it, but has a very fussy period when she has to poop. You do not have need to talk to your pediatrician if you switch formulas. I'd give it a try, you can always go back to gentlease if the soy formula doesn't work...I used to consult my pediatrician, however there are 4 docs in the office and they all had varying degrees of opinions, so I just did what I thought was best and if it didn't work, then I made the switch back... I wouldn't go jumping around, and I'd give it at least one week before you switch back to anything or make any decisions, it could take that long to get it fully in the system....
June 10th, 2013, 07:31 AM
I just don't want to make it worse on him. I'll try a soy for a week, then. Thank you!
June 10th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
I would try it ... it may work it may not but at least you'll know. I read an article once about how babies outsides grow "faster" than their insides and sometimes their insides have to play "catch up" which means they can have some issues like this ... don't know how true that is though.

Hope the Soy helps. You could also invest in Nutramigen (sp) - I believe Enfamil makes it - it's expensive but it's one of the best hypoallergenic formulas on the market.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

June 10th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
good luck to you...It's so hard being a mommy!
Cortney6983 likes this.
June 10th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Veteran
You may need to try for 2 weeks. It takes a while to get body used to the new formula and the poop to get straightened out. We did have constipation for several days. Hope it works! Colton also takes Zantac for reflux. We are using the ready to feed formula to help with that as well (instead of powder). We switched to Playtex drop in bottles to help with gas too.

June 10th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Yea, Miss, with Dylan that's even more true. He had pyloric stenosis which stopped the food from making it to his intestines. Until his surgery at almost 4 weeks, he barely got any food to stay in his belly. Hopefully we'll work through this!
June 10th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
ha sounds like Lilly lol but she always cries she is NEVER happy always crying in pain we started Soy yesterday... in our experience Enfamil was HORRIBLE for Lilly the gentle kind was making her extremely gassy and her gas smelled worse than rotten eggs, she is also constipated which the doctor said for us to use Karo syrup in her bottle half teaspoon twice daily I only do it once sometimes twice...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search