infant reflux

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Missa_Mae
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By becca4steven
  • 1 Post By bananamagic
  • 1 Post By mama3o

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
So I'm trying to gather information of symptoms for Lilly's appointment Thursday...

I think she may have reflux... so I am going to try to list off and write the symptoms she has or things she does if anyone has experience with this please let me know what you think...

As most of you know Lilly screams like she is in pain, not fussy or I'm mad crying legit screaming sometimes to the point she sweats.. some days it's randomly through out the day some its just at night and others it's most of the day...while eating she will wiggle a lot, sometimes arching her back for a second sometimes she will stop eating and cry for a second sometimes she will stop eating and shake her head ( the rooting reflex).... after she is eating most of the time she will make odd noises, usually gurgles it will sound as though she is re swallowing something ...some days I notice she will have a "spit day" where she will spit up after almost every feeding... I have noticed that if placed on her back after eating she will spit up and if sat straight up she will spit up... She sleeps in the rock n play which is inclined and she doesn't spit up....

June 11th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Reflux can have many different symptoms and it can present itself in infants differently too.

When she spits up - is it a lot? Is it projectile? Is she losing weight? What formula do you have her on? Have you tried switching formulas (I remember you were going to try soy)?

We thought Tessa had bad reflux since she was spitting up all the time but we took her in and they said it was mild and to just continue as normal, make sure she burps and keep her upright for a bit after eating. All this seems to work and she is now sleeping in the bassinet instead of the rock n play.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

June 11th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missa_Mae View Post
Reflux can have many different symptoms and it can present itself in infants differently too.

When she spits up - is it a lot? Is it projectile? Is she losing weight? What formula do you have her on? Have you tried switching formulas (I remember you were going to try soy)?

We thought Tessa had bad reflux since she was spitting up all the time but we took her in and they said it was mild and to just continue as normal, make sure she burps and keep her upright for a bit after eating. All this seems to work and she is now sleeping in the bassinet instead of the rock n play.
Her spit up can be quite a bit it will come out her nose sometimes projectile.. I'm not sure about the losing weight yet...She is on Gerber Goodstart Soy it is ok so far she still has all the episodes except screaming but we only started Sunday evening still not sure...I have her upright but she will spit up more right after feeding

June 11th, 2013, 11:23 AM
I would give the Soy formula some time before taking her in (if you can) - sometimes it can take a week or long for their bodies to get used to the new formula. Sometimes Tessa's spit up comes out her nose too ... and we just use the booger machine to suction it out.

The fact that she isn't screaming in pain anymore may be a good sign that the Soy is working!

June 11th, 2013, 11:34 AM
She has her regular appointment Thursday for her two month check up

June 11th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Excited first time mommy!
Look up some info on Pyloric Stenosis. It sounds a lot like what Dylan went through before he had his surgery at 3 weeks. His daddy has it so I knew to look for it, and luckily I did because by the time he was tested, the doc said it was the youngest baby he's ever seen it this bad in. Ask for a barium swallow. That also showed us that he has reflux. The back arching is very consistent with infant reflux. There's also an added rice formula for reflux spit uppers.
June 11th, 2013, 01:33 PM
If it's her regular 2 month appointment that's even better since they'll be checking her weight gain anyway! And talk to the Ped about rice formula, I know someone who's baby had really bad reflux and the rice formula really helped.

IMO I'd rather try everything possible before medication
Cortney6983 likes this.

June 11th, 2013, 05:06 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have experience with reflux, but just wanted to say I hope you figure out something that helps!
Cortney6983 likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

June 11th, 2013, 06:19 PM
becca4steven's Avatar Veteran
That is reflux hun.my little boy screams high pitch arches back spilt up. Rushes his food down. Can have spilt up 2 hours after feeds. Does she get hiccup or coughs
Look up reflux it tells up. All they will give her is like gavison to help her belly break her food down more. It does stop the spilt up but helps with the cryin
My little boy is smilin more n being more cheeky. A baby with reflux are meant to sit up for 30 - 40 mins. And be in a bouncer as it more up right. It shpuld only last fpr a year shpuld ease when she gets on soilds xx
Cortney6983 likes this.

June 11th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by becca4steven View Post
That is reflux hun.my little boy screams high pitch arches back spilt up. Rushes his food down. Can have spilt up 2 hours after feeds. Does she get hiccup or coughs
Look up reflux it tells up. All they will give her is like gavison to help her belly break her food down more. It does stop the spilt up but helps with the cryin
My little boy is smilin more n being more cheeky. A baby with reflux are meant to sit up for 30 - 40 mins. And be in a bouncer as it more up right. It shpuld only last fpr a year shpuld ease when she gets on soilds xx
yes she hic ups and coughs quite a bit!

June 11th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Veteran
Colton has silent reflux which means he has reflux but doesn't spit up. It comes up but he swallows it which burns causing him to scream or chew viciously on his hands. He sometimes has some dribble out his mouth. This happens when he lays down especially. He used to make a gurgling sound quite often. That has gotten much better. He would scream during feedings and arch his back. He did have a barium swallow done and you could see his reflux very plainly. He is on zantac. He is on soy formula. He is on ready to feed formula instead of powder since its a bit heavier and less watery. He uses playtex drop in bottles and sleeps in rock and play to be inclined. All of these things have contributed to making him a much happier baby. It sounds like it could be reflux to me from what you said.
Cortney6983 likes this.

June 11th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananamagic View Post
Colton has silent reflux which means he has reflux but doesn't spit up. It comes up but he swallows it which burns causing him to scream or chew viciously on his hands. He sometimes has some dribble out his mouth. This happens when he lays down especially. He used to make a gurgling sound quite often. That has gotten much better. He would scream during feedings and arch his back. He did have a barium swallow done and you could see his reflux very plainly. He is on zantac. He is on soy formula. He is on ready to feed formula instead of powder since its a bit heavier and less watery. He uses playtex drop in bottles and sleeps in rock and play to be inclined. All of these things have contributed to making him a much happier baby. It sounds like it could be reflux to me from what you said.
that sounds just like Lilly! Ok I may be greeting ahead of myself but I am getting excited that we may have a culprit to Lilly's issues...She is on Soy now she also sleeps in the rock n play which has helped her sleep at night longer

June 11th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Also put her on her side left side meant to be the better side. I started puttin bradley on his sides n he sleeps better n for longer. It like acid coming back up n burns them thats why there is that high pitch scream. When bradley did if ge used to mess around playing with my nipple. If he wasnt feeding he normal stuck his hand. Its best to get her loked at. I had his check uo last thursday but last wednesday he was just screamun the whole day stopped feeding n thats when I took hin cause he wouldnt sleep if he did it was for 5 mins. It was tiringbme him and his daddy out. Xxx

June 12th, 2013, 03:07 AM
I wrote down all the symptoms... when I go to the doctors tomorrow do I tell him I think she has reflux? Or just tell him her symptoms and let him decide... her pediatrician likes to think things are normal lol so it's going to take some sturn-ness to think it's something more than normal.

Last edited by Cortney6983; June 12th, 2013 at 03:12 AM.
June 12th, 2013, 03:48 AM
Tell them that u think she has reflux thats all wat we did. If they dnt do something I wud say I want something for it. Thet r not with her every day like u r. Xx

June 12th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I called my pediatrician yesterday because my little one was having these crying spells...or should I say hours...She coughs quite a bit, has hiccups, sounds congested after eating... very little spitting up only if lying flat on her back...They prescribed me zantac. We have 3 other kids who have all had reflux. Some have been spitter uppers and the last two are silent. One day with meds and what a difference last night! Hopefully this does the trick!
Cortney6983 likes this.
June 12th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Even though she is getting shots I am quite excited to finally figure out her issues and help her feel better but also help us with her!

I seriously might cry if this fixes the issues!

June 12th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Itd good wen you know what it is as bradley turned out to be the happy cheeky boy he was tryin to show us. He smiles n he very cheeky. Best feeling every to see your child happy instead of cryin good luck let us know how u get pn would love to know xx

June 13th, 2013, 04:09 PM
How dis you get on? Hope u sortes it out xx

June 14th, 2013, 04:55 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
This sounds so much like my baby too. He gets really fussy during feedings and pretty much whenever he is up during the day and night. A have been having trouble sleeping too. I am bfing so I am trying to alter my diet but the doctor wants me to give my baby a probiotic. Maybe you can give that a try???

Forever missing my angel 2010

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search