Entertaining your LO

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Karilynn6
  • 1 Post By Mommyof2with1onway
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By MapleGranola
  • 2 Post By nameetog
  • 1 Post By utexas10
  • 2 Post By Purple_cat
  • 1 Post By bellasky
  • 1 Post By nameetog

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2013, 09:12 PM
Karilynn6's Avatar Proud first time Mommy!
I'm just wondering what everyone does with their babies during the day, if you're at home with them. My baby hardly naps at all, so I'm trying to "engage" her for the majority of the day.

She really hasn't reached the stage where she's playing with toys at all. I shake them in front of her or dangle them above her, and she likes looking at them, but doesn't really reach for anything. We do tummy time after every diaper change, and I try to take her out most days because she loves looking around, but it's hard in Texas where it's basically too hot for walks when she's up. I take her to the kids pool and the children's section of our public library, but I feel like everyone looks at me like I'm crazy for having a 2 1/2 month old out at these "children's" places.

I'm spending hours a day with her on my lap facing me while I talk to her and make faces at her. I try singing and reading to her, but she seems more interested in just watching my face move.

Any ideas?
Cortney6983 likes this.
June 22nd, 2013, 02:38 AM
Mommy :)
We talk, he swings, his sisters try talking to him, tummy time, and we cuddle for naps. Oh, and I take lots of pics

I'm in Florida so we have the heat issue as well so we go out early morning or late afternoon.
Karilynn6 likes this.

Mommy to

Laycie (August 2007)
Kayleigh (May 2009)
Jaxon (April 2013)
June 22nd, 2013, 06:57 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Tummy time, talking, ticklng, singing, kissing, etc...and it's a little easier with #2 because big sister likes to help out with these. She also likes to talk to the mobile in her swing, look at the ceiling fan & out the window. And the other advantage of having an older sister is that she gets to tag along to her activities, like the library, playground, etc. We like to go on walks or sit outside, but it's also getting ridiculously hot here, so it's not as easy.
Karilynn6 likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

June 22nd, 2013, 07:55 AM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
Talking, tickling, play with toys - he loves to talk to and bat them around, tummy time. He loves when we make silly faces and sounds at him. We go for walks and go swimming. He swings and plays on his activity mat. I wear him while doing things around the house.
Karilynn6 likes this.

June 22nd, 2013, 08:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have older kids so Alex just comes along for what they do. We talk and sing and read of course but I do not try to engage him all day, it is too stimulating for him at 2 months he needs down time so i wear him in the sling so he can just tune out or nap etc. He plays in his seat and will bat at a toy or two or lie on the activity mat but only for short periods
HalfDozen and Karilynn6 like this.

June 22nd, 2013, 09:08 AM
Super Mommy
ditto on what everyone eles has said. It is hard entertaining her all day. she does run a lot of errands with me.
Karilynn6 likes this.
June 22nd, 2013, 09:48 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like you are doing a lot already!

At this age one of the things I like doing is decluttering the house. I'll pick a cabinet in the kitchen or a drawer of my dresser and get baby set up next to me and take everything out to show it to her and talk about it and then I declutter and only put back the things I want to keep. She just likes hearing me talk and being near me and I get to talk to her and get something accomplished.
twin2 and Karilynn6 like this.
June 22nd, 2013, 09:51 AM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
Isabelle likes grabbing on the ringsdangling from her rock n play. i song to her and talk to her. we do tummy time. hopefully once we get the boba i will be able to carry her more often. we are going on vacations next month to Colorado then Texas so she will get plenty of interaction then
Karilynn6 likes this.

June 22nd, 2013, 01:07 PM
Karilynn6's Avatar Proud first time Mommy!
Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. I like your de-cluttering idea, PurpleCat.
June 22nd, 2013, 01:44 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Agreed...that is a good idea!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

June 22nd, 2013, 02:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Totally awesome idea. Now, please send me the motivation! ; )
HalfDozen likes this.

June 23rd, 2013, 05:23 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto to everyone else, I also put him in his bouncy in the bathroom while I shower, he likes staring at our shower curtain and I play peekaboo the whole time. He loves the water sounds too.
June 23rd, 2013, 07:08 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ingrid likes talking to us on her changing pad, hanging out in a bouncer while I shower, and..... um... that's about it. She is a real fussbudget and really has only about 5-10 minutes per awake period where she's content. Changes of scenery, toys, books, singing, laying, sitting, bouncing... she couldn't care less! She has 5 states- asleep, eating, upset because she isn't eating or sleeping, 5-10 min bursts of happy, and fake happy but really just about to barf.

She's a complex character.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search