NIP

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Super Mommy
So I have gotten more comfortable NIP. Last night we were at a hibachi place. It was me, DH, a mom and her two sons (13 & 14) at the hibachi table . The chef took forever so A ended up wanting to eat during dinner. I put my nursing covr on and started nursing. The mom gave me an evil eye. Was I wrong to nurse her in this situation?
June 26th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No, absolutely not. I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with that. Especially with a cover, there's nothing showing that wasn't already, right? A nursing mom and baby shouldn't be forced to stay home all the time or hide in the bathroom when the baby is hungry. There's nothing scandalous about feeding your baby. I am completely baffled by anyone who would think there is anything wrong with it.

That said, I know some people are bothered by it, so I am sometimes uncomfortable for that reason. But I don't think that's right. I think we should be able to feed our babies wherever we are without feeling uncomfortable about it.
anjawb likes this.
June 26th, 2013, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't have bothered to use a cover at all. I don't like them and I refuse to put something over my kids head just so he can eat. I don't show any skin while nursing so I don't need a cover. I don't think they are bad and i know plenty of people use them they just aren't for ME. That said NO you did nothing wrong
Sneetch likes this.

June 26th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
You did nothing wrong at all. I nurse at the table when we are out all the time. If we are with family or a table with others I hold up a blanket while I latch L if he is super fussy. But I never use a cover while feeding him. People need to just get over it. More times than not someone else is showing more cleavage and skin wearing a shirt than I do while nursing my son. Don't let others make you feel ashamed for doing what's natural.

June 26th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. You are making me feel much better.
June 26th, 2013, 03:17 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Totally agree. As long as you're comfortable with it, go for it!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

June 26th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Mommy :)
You did nothing wrong. I nip at a restaurant the other day and the lady at the table next to us said uh I think that lady is about to breast feed her baby right there.

I use a cover bc I haven't gotten comfortable yet with not showing everything off. I'm trying to practice without bringing it all out so that one day I can NIP with no cover.

Mommy to

Laycie (August 2007)
Kayleigh (May 2009)
Jaxon (April 2013)
June 26th, 2013, 06:08 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's great youre getting more comfortable! I also use a cover because my boobs are HUGE and are difficult NOT to see.
JennBer likes this.
June 26th, 2013, 06:41 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyof2with1onway View Post
I nip at a restaurant the other day and the lady at the table next to us said uh I think that lady is about to breast feed her baby right there.
You should have turned around, smiled a great big grin, and said, "I am! It's a good thing I've got these things [looking a boobs] so that Baby won't scream out of hunger and sadness & ruin your lunch atmosphere! Isn't nature amazing to provide a solution like that? Enjoy your meal!"

Great work feeding your kiddos ladies, wherever they decide to let hunger strike!

June 26th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Kennydra's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You did absolutely nothing wrong! I would have done the same. I use a cover too, mostly due to my own insecurities and I have the same problem as kimberley so it is hard to be discreet!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

June 26th, 2013, 10:46 PM
JenLee's Avatar Veteran
No, you did nothing wrong. I have found that no matter what you do someone always has an opinion. I have nip using a cover and overheard a woman making a comment about it. My friend actually heard it and quietly told me to which I loudly pointed out that if she had a problem she did not have to look. That being said, that situation bothered me so I brought a bottle of expressed milk this past weekend while going out to eat with dh so that I could avoid nip. I had someone come over as I was feeding her to tell me that I should not be giving my baby formula, that breastmilk was best. I kindly smiled and said, "thats what this is." So, I have had rude remarks no matter what I have done, so I say screw it, do what is comfortable for you. Who cares what someone thinks/says that you will probably never see again anyways?
Sneetch and Purple_cat like this.

June 27th, 2013, 07:49 AM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
No, you did nothing wrong. I have found that no matter what you do someone always has an opinion. I have nip using a cover and overheard a woman making a comment about it. My friend actually heard it and quietly told me to which I loudly pointed out that if she had a problem she did not have to look. That being said, that situation bothered me so I brought a bottle of expressed milk this past weekend while going out to eat with dh so that I could avoid nip. I had someone come over as I was feeding her to tell me that I should not be giving my baby formula, that breastmilk was best. I kindly smiled and said, "thats what this is." So, I have had rude remarks no matter what I have done, so I say screw it, do what is comfortable for you. Who cares what someone thinks/says that you will probably never see again anyways?
Omg! I would have lost my SHIZ on that person. Even if it was formula.. inappropriate. Some people really have some ****** nerve.
jen747 and JenLee like this.
June 27th, 2013, 08:36 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^ People be cray-cray-crazy!

Why would you think it's ok to walk up to a stranger and tell them that what they are feeding their child is a bad thing? Would they also walk up to someone eating a large side of fries and a burger and tell them to watch their fat intake? Or comment that "I've seen you have 3 drinks. You shouldn't be binge drinking."

I am sure I would have said the same exact thing "Oh, that's ok, this is breastmilk" since I'd be too flabbergasted to say anything else. But afterwards I really would have wanted to zing them with something like "Oh, this isn't formula. It's a White Russian. She really loves the Kahlua and the vodka knocks her right out."

June 27th, 2013, 09:48 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow...can't believe people have the nerve to say things like that to strangers.

Today I took the girls to story time at the library, and when it was over Grace was browsing for books and "reading" them. I was sitting beside her in the children's section nursing Anna, with a blanket partially covering her, and one of the staff members came up and asked if I was comfortable nursing right there, and if not I could use the conference room. I truly think she was trying to be helpful, but it honestly made me more uncomfortable for her to comment on it than it did to NIP in the first place. Or...maybe that was her subtle way of saying, " We'd rather you didn't nurse out here, but we can't tell you not to." Anyway, I told her thanks and I was fine, and I just let Anna finish.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

Last edited by ThaiSpice; June 27th, 2013 at 09:55 AM.
June 28th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
I ONLY cover if I'm really uncomfortable with where I'm nursing(last time was being alone with Henry at a Dr appointment and the seats were way to close and only seat was across from some gut who gave me a weird vibe). I'd much rather go off. That being said 97% of the time I nurse where I am.

In almost 16 months worth of nursing, I've never had rude comments. A few looks but meh. I've been waiting for it, but it never comes( shocking given the low bf'ing rates here). I also know that bf'ing is protected by the charter of rights and they cannot ask me to move or cover.
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
June 29th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This thread makes me so grateful that I live somewhere where nip is common.

Good for you for getting more comfortable with it, it is so freeing when you know you can feed your baby anywhere!
June 29th, 2013, 02:36 PM
JennBer's Avatar Super Mommy
I have been really surprised that I haven't gotten any rude comments yet. I live in an area were it is really uncommon. In fact other than myself I have only ever seen one person NIP and that was during my childbirth/breastfeeding class(the Dr doing the class had a young child she was nursing). I just don't believe that breastfeeding is very common in this area (maybe that will change now that we have a Dr in the area that does). I know that while I was pregnant I knew I wanted to BF but I was a little worried that I would be too uncomfortable to NIP but now that I am nursing it is kinda weird how comfortable I am with it. When I was traveling last week with just me and the youngest girls there was one stop that I made that as soon as I stopped I got R set up nursing while she was in a sling and then grabbed the hands of the twins and into the truck stop we went. We did the whole restroom/diaper change break and then walked around the store and everything with her nursing. I even had some guy come walking up talking about how cute my girls were and do the whole 'OMG you have a baby in there' and try and look at her and I am just all yup I do thank you. It wasn't until after I was back on the road that I thought about the fact that he got a shot of my boob. Should say though that I do try and cover a little. I don't have an actual cover but do have a nice light blanket that I throw over us, but mainly because I am so large chested that when I nurse I have a LOT of boob showing, but I don't stress if the blanket falls off or something like that.

June 29th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Super Mommy
I am impressed. I haven't figured out how to nurse her in a sling yet.
June 29th, 2013, 05:26 PM
JennBer's Avatar Super Mommy
Well actually it is more a moby type thing that my cousin made, not a normal sling, but still it was kinda weird. I had played with it before to try and see if I could get her nursing while in it and I was moving around not much luck but somehow I got her positioned just right that day for her to be able to nurse. The hardest part was picking up the 30 lb toddler to put her somewhere I could change a diaper while wearing her, lol. That one was interesting. The funniest looks I got where from some of the ladies in the restroom and I could tell that most of them were more along the lines of 'has she lost her mind two kids that age and then she goes and has another one?' not so much about the NIP thing.

June 29th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
I NIP at dinner tonight out at a hibachi place, no cover to latch or anything. My DH was the only person at the table to know. My inlaws had no clue until after he was finished and I burped him and they were sitting next to and across from me. These are the same people who banish me into a closed room upstairs when I need to nurse at their house.. We don't visit at their house anymore. Maybe now that will change since they see how discreet I can be and I'm not just whipping it out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search