Rice cereal

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree22Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2013, 07:14 AM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
I feel like A has been eating a lot. Over the weekend he was eating almost every two hours and about 5oz every time! I'm not sure if he's not filling up from my milk or maybe growing through a growth spurt but I was wondering if 10 weeks is to young to start adding rice cereal to milk.

Forever missing my angel 2010

July 1st, 2013, 08:34 AM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
Rice cereal isn't really recommended anymore. Its not good for baby's gut and contains arsenic. It's probably a growth spurt. As long as he's eating I don't see the problem. He will adjust his feeds based on his needs. L eats every hour some days and then every 4-6 hours like this past weekend.

http://m.parenting.com/article/mythb...n-babys-bottle
~AmazedByYou~ and *Anya* like this.

Last edited by CrunchyMommaTo2; July 1st, 2013 at 08:46 AM.
July 1st, 2013, 08:42 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
Lilly's pediatrician recommended she have Oatmea cereal due to reflux but I only give her 1 tablespoon in her night time bottle

July 1st, 2013, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortney6983 View Post
Lilly's pediatrician recommended she have Oatmea cereal due to reflux but I only give her 1 tablespoon in her night time bottle
For reflux is different and advised. But not for keeping a baby "full" longer
Cortney6983 likes this.

July 1st, 2013, 08:53 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
I think they say not to start cereal until 6 months now (?)

I know my stepsister's baby is a few days older than T (15 weeks) and she is starting him on cereal because he is always hungry ... she also is not breast feeding anymore.

Check with your Ped.

I also know that you're not supposed to put the cereal in the bottle either. I forget where I heard that from ... I'll try to find the link.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

July 1st, 2013, 09:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
our pedi talked about possibly starting her on it at 4 months (this thursday) but I am trying to wait until 6 months and skip rice cereal all together.
Missa_Mae likes this.
July 1st, 2013, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missa_Mae View Post
I also know that you're not supposed to put the cereal in the bottle either. I forget where I heard that from ... I'll try to find the link.
It's a choking hazard. I wouldn't take that risk. I don't understand why we have to do things to fill babies up for longer time. They eat when they are hungry whether that's every hour or every 6 hours.

July 1st, 2013, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskk826 View Post
It's a choking hazard. I wouldn't take that risk. I don't understand why we have to do things to fill babies up for longer time. They eat when they are hungry whether that's every hour or every 6 hours.
It's not that I'm trying to have him fill up for longer I am just concerned. For example, A drank 5oz of milk 8:30-9, he was fussing and crying because he was hungry by 10 and ended up drinking another 5oz. Doesn't that seem like a lot? Is that normal? That's why I'm concerned my milk is just not filling him up. I am also back at work so I have to pump during the day and I am worried I'm not going to produce enough milk if he keeps eating like this.

July 1st, 2013, 09:25 AM
I would guess its a growth spurt. If you are really concerned call your pedi. I've never heard a researched pedi tell anyone to add rice to bottles to fill baby up so I would hope yours would advise against that as well. Your milk not filling him up isn't even possible, he just needs it more frequently right now. Breast milk is digested so quickly. I've fed L every 30 minutes some days it's just what he needs. It's never crossed my mind that there is something wrong with my milk.
~AmazedByYou~ and nameetog like this.

July 1st, 2013, 09:49 AM
I would definitely talk to my pedi before doing anything. I have just heard so many people adding rice cereal to milk so that's why I asked; just for opinions.

I'm hoping its just a growth spurt.

July 1st, 2013, 09:50 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's probably just a growth spurt. I wouldn't give baby any solids this early without a serious medical need. I know what you mean about being stressed with pumping enough during these spurts. Pumping is stressful enough without worrying about producing even more than you can already get. I pump just enough, so I will also be freaking out during spurts and eating into my frozen stock.

Do you have anything in the freezer to help get you over the hump? If it is a growth spurt and he wants to eat more, try to match your pumping to what he might do if you were together. Even one more mini pump will help match your supply to what he's looking for.

July 1st, 2013, 10:02 AM
If it's really that bad you could talk to your Ped about adding formula (not cereal) that might be more satisfying ... I know that we sometimes put a small scoop of formula in T's bottle when she seems like she is super hungry and it does seem to help since formula takes longer to digest.

I would put a call into your Ped and see what he/she recommends. It may just be a growth spurt and may only last a few days ...

July 1st, 2013, 10:22 AM
Definitely call your pedi if you're concerned.

Just an aside.. I'm sure you know your body makes breast milk according to what your LO needs. The more he needs the more you make. If you start adding rice or formula to the bottle and he eats less often you will start to make less and your supply could really dwindle. I don't know if you nurse or not while you are home or if you strictly pump and bottle feed but if you do decide to supplement at all make sure you continue to pump frequently so you don't lose your supply. As far as formula you should always do a separate bottle not put formula powder into a breast milk bottle.

Hopefully the frequent hunger settles down and your LO goes back to however he was eating before. It's usually just a few days

July 1st, 2013, 10:39 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I don't start cereal this early. Our doctor says anytime between 4-6 months, but I always push for the later start. However, that's not the same everywhere. My sister receives WIC, and they already started giving her the coupons for cereal and baby food.

New picture in progress......
July 1st, 2013, 10:42 AM
I do have milk in the freezer in case I do need it. I also do nurse when I'm home with him. I usually nurse in the morning before work and then again in the evening.

I'm hoping that its just a growth spurt.

July 1st, 2013, 11:10 AM
^I'm sure that's all it is. And that's a good thing - he's growing

July 1st, 2013, 11:21 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bet it is just a growth spurt too. I personally wouldn't add any rice cereal to the bottle but that is me. As long as you have the milk to feed him, I would just keep using that. If I ran out of milk I would use formula before I would add cereal because I think it is more nutritious. But that is just me and it sounds like you are doing your research to find the best option for you.
July 1st, 2013, 11:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
They used to say 4 months was OK for cereal but they really are not saying that anymore. Those baby cereals are not needed as first foods you can skip them entirely they really are not nutritious at all
Missa_Mae likes this.

July 1st, 2013, 11:53 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Rice cereal is empty calories. I wouldn't ruin a bottle of pure fresh organic breastmilk with processed artificial crap like rice cereal. He is probably going through a growth spurt, or maybe he is just thirsty. Keep in mind that he doesn't drink anything but milk, so every time he is a little thirsty what's a guy to do? Notice how many times you reach for a glass of water or a little snack, it's probably more often than every 3ish hours. Just something to keep in mind
jen747 and Missa_Mae like this.
July 1st, 2013, 12:23 PM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My Mr. Fuss does this to me as well.. He will suddenly start to cry for milk more often when he is going through a growth spurt. What I started doing was eating a lot more during those times to make my milk a lot more rich and have DH feed him that recently pumped milk when its his turn to feed him and that seems to satisfy him WAY more. I can't keep up eating like that all of the time.. but I do it when he is acting like he needs to eat nonstop. Then I see the feedings spread further apart time wise. When they really slow down again I go back to eating normally. ( I use this time as an excuse to eat higher calorie food too *lol*)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search