Road trips

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Sneetch
  • 1 Post By Purple_cat
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen
  • 1 Post By mama3o

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2013, 08:23 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you enjoy taking road trips? Do you prefer to be the driver or the passenger on trips?

My in-laws are passing through today on their way from Texas to Pennsylvania. Talk about a long trip! That's a little too long for me...

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

July 4th, 2013, 08:34 AM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
I love road trips! DH and I used to take a few a year before L came along. Our last one was when I was 8 weeks pregnant. We are going for one in September that will be 6 hours away. The longest ones were from NY to Florida. 24 hours straight of driving, we only stopped for gas. Next year we have a wedding in California and I'm leaning towards driving and making a long trip out of it and stopping at some national parks and such.

I always drive, even just around town. I have horrible motion sickness.. I sometimes get sick even driving. I can't even swing on a swing set.

July 4th, 2013, 09:06 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like them alright but don't love them, I get bored after so many hours in the car. With kids its a whole different ball game though, it seems to always be hit and miss how car rides go so I get nervous haha.
July 4th, 2013, 11:19 AM
JennBer's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't love them but I don't hate them. Usually make the trip to my parents house several times a year, that is 500 miles one way, but don't usually do much more than that. If DH is with me I usually have him drive, he is a horrid passenger/backseat driver and it drives me nuts. But if is is late and he is having trouble staying awake I will drive, I have an easier time staying awake and also since he has already been driving a while I have usually had a nap. But I always drive when we are in heavy traffic (think DFW) because he stresses to much and it makes me go in sane. Around town and whatnot who is driving usually depends on which vehicle we are in, if we are in 'my' truck I drive if we are in 'his' truck he drives.

July 4th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Super Mommy
Depends on where we are going and how rushed it is. Last year we drove from Texas to Montana. We didn't have any real schedule. It was great! we got to stop when we wanted and see what we wanted. We didn't even have hotel reservations along the way.
July 4th, 2013, 02:20 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I don't love them or hate them. It's more of a bother than anything else to me. I would just like to zap us where we're going, and it's too expensive to fly that many people. Most trips, particularly back home to see our families, hubby doesn't go so I do the driving. That's about 700 miles one way, and we almost always do it in 1 day. This time when we went home, my oldest was able to drive for about 5 hours so that was a help, but I don't sleep when she's driving. If we all go somewhere, hubby drives. He prefers it. And I don't do so well driving at night. If it's a long trip, he and I usually split up the time. He's gotten better about being the passenger now that he can play on his computer, etc. while in the car.

New picture in progress......
July 5th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I like them as long as kids are doing okay. I like turning my music on and having good conversations.

We were driving to Seattle a couple years ago. It was about a 10-hour drive. Charlie did great for most of it, but near the end when the sun went down, he was ready to be done and he said, "it's too late to See Attle. Let's go back."
kimberley, HalfDozen and nameetog like this.
July 5th, 2013, 04:13 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^ AWW that's hilarious.

I used to like road trips just fine when I didn't have kids. Now.. not so much.
July 5th, 2013, 07:45 PM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE road trips. Granted I haven't had one with the baby yet. But I love planning for it and the stops we will make. Getting food and drinks prepared, making that mix CD of drive jams. *L* It's the good times... I don't know how it will be with a baby though. I always end up doing both, driving and riding at some point. But I don't really have a favorite.
July 5th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Not a fan of road trips. I usually end up doing about 1 per year though for the past 3 or 4 years. Typically MA/NH to Pennsylvania or Maryland. I've done all the driving but I only had another adult one time. If my husband was with me he'd drive. We all do much better on planes than cars in this house it seems

July 5th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love road trips but I am way too afraid to take one with kids. That doesn't sound enjoyable to me AT ALL. I prefer to drive because my husband drives way too slow in my opinion. He also drinks a lot of soda when he drives so we have to stop every hour to use the bathroom.

My daughter did the same thing when we went to Seattle. We got there and she asked: "where is Attle?"

Too cute.
Sneetch likes this.
July 7th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Lol at see Attle!

I like them alright, but more than 6 hours or so gets to be tedious. And I prefer not to drive.

July 9th, 2013, 06:12 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Just thought I'd share my FB post after my last trip home, for my fellow road trippers:

10 things I've learned as the sole adult traveling 700 miles with an infant, toddler, and a puppy:
1. The dog prefers the front seat. And you will gladly oblige because you know it's the only thing keeping her from getting carsick and puking all over your car.
2. If the toddler cries, you can bet that she is going to wake up the baby, who is then going to begin crying.
3. The toddler does not understand why she can't sit in mommy's lap while mommy is driving. See #2.
4. No matter how much you like Toy Story, hearing it five times within one trip is a bit much for anyone. And that doesn't include times when the car was stopped or mommy snuck a sanity break to listen to the radio when someone fell asleep.
5. Although the trip takes about 4 hours longer than it should, there are no arguments, unlike when traveling with the older siblings. There is no mouthing back about radio stations, seating arrangements, which movies are being watched, etc. Instead, you're blessed with #6 because there is no one to entertain them.
6. Whining, on a normal day, is far more annoying than straight-out crying. Magnify that by 10, just because you're sitting in an enclosed vehicle and can't lock yourself in the bathroom.
7. If you're not sure if you have enough diapers, you don't!!
8. Complete strangers open doors for you, wait patiently in parking lots, have kind words to say - all because they take pity on you with your frazzled ponytail.
9. The baby, who normally nurses for only 10 minutes, will now decide that he needs to nurse for 30 minutes or more, obviously because he has figured out that it gets him out of his car seat, thus extending the necessary time at stops.
10. There is no sweeter sound than complete silence because that means that they are all, FINALLY, asleep! And it will not happen until you're 15 miles from home.
mama3o likes this.

New picture in progress......
July 9th, 2013, 07:11 PM
LOL! You're a brave woman. I can totally see all of that. We have only taken one trip with both, and it was fairly short, and I had DH with me.

July 11th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I like road trips. I hate driving. I love watching! I don't like when the kids are crying, and prefer if I have to drive, that everyone is sleeping, so I can turn on what I want and sing. I have a hard time driving at night. No matter how rested I am it makes me sleepy and that scares me, so I avoid it at all costs!
HalfDozen likes this.
July 11th, 2013, 11:41 AM
JenLee's Avatar Veteran
I useto love taking road trips. I am an Army brat and use to travel constantly, whether it be that we were moving or visiting family. Then I became an Army wife. My dh always wanted to come home on his 4 day weekends. It was about a 9 hr. drive. We would usually split the trip...I would drive half and him the other. Now that we have 3 kids, there is no way we would do that now. Luckily, we are back home so we do not travel much unless it is to go seemy mom. Last year we went to Disney, which is about 4 hrs. Dh drove while I took care of the kiddos.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search