Our swaddling days are numbered...

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2013, 11:12 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So little Miss Houdini Jr. isn't going to be in her swaddle much longer... and it's stressing me out, ha! She wears her Miracle Blanket (aka baby straightjacket) at night to keep her cuckoo arms at bay. It's been working beautifully. But man, she is so much more of a mover in her sleep than my son ever was.

The past few nights, when she wakes up and has some time to futz around before calling for us, she has managed to break out of the Miracle Blanket. I didn't think that was even possible! She had been getting her legs out for a few weeks, but that's not too hard to do given the foot pocket doesn't attach to anything. But this week she's been able to wiggle around and get her arms out of the pockets too! She ends up wearing what looking a belt!

Then last night Stinkerbelle got her arch on and managed to roll her little caterpillar self right on to her face! Which of course she couldn't do anything about (and couldn't have even with her hands free) and proceeded to lay on her face complaining until I got in there. (I watched all of this on the monitor at midnight- she wasn't in any danger.)

Between the escaping and the rolling, I think we're going to have to retire the swaddle this week. My friend was sending me a Magic Merlin Suit which is supposed to be some sort of transition gear that keeps the startle reflex down while having the arms free, though I think they aren't supposed to be used with rolling too. But Ingrid totally still flails awake, so maybe we can keep a close watch for a week and get her used to being arms free.

July 15th, 2013, 12:25 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh man. I remember when Grace started rolling and we stopped swaddling. Actually, I thought it would be worse than it was. What she ended up doing once she learned to roll was to sleep on her tummy, and she slept pretty well that way.

So far with Anna we're still doing well with the Woombie, but she's not rolling yet. No escaped limbs, though.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

July 15th, 2013, 04:54 PM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know what you mean.. Darion figured out how to get out of that miracle blanket ages ago. He started to hate having his hands swaddled. He rolls from his stomach to his back at will in the bed now. He likes to be put on his side when its time to go to bed them he turns himself onto his back and sleeps with his hands up by his face the rest of the time.

Thankfully he still sleeps through the night without the blanket. I hope the same happens for you.
July 22nd, 2013, 07:09 AM
So how's it been going? Are you still swaddling, or did you give it up?

July 22nd, 2013, 07:53 AM
I'm totally still swaddling, though it's kind of silly. I guess it does still help, but Houdini makes regular breakouts. Luckily she only rolled that once, so we've got time in that regard.

When I use the "day swaddle" aka the Swaddle Me, she knows how to get her arms out like instantly. If she's really tired, she'll nap quickly and it isn't an issue. But if she doesn't feel like going right to sleep, she'll get the hands up and it mostly pisses her off. As for night time, she gets out of the Miracle Blanket at least 40% of time, but it's when she's going to wake up anyway, so she isn't losing sleep.

Last night kind of sucked though... I put her in the Miracle Blanket with just a diaper on since we weren't going to put on the A/C and I didn't want her to be hot. She goes down at 8 but then later, just as I'm excited to put myself to be before 11 for the first time in ages, she wakes up and has escaped in no time flat. So the arms and legs are flaling and she's arching with open mouth because there is a spit up rag near her head and she thinks maybe it might be something fun to eat or just gnaw on. Needless to say, she was wide awake. I had to feed her, dress her in jammies (which adds friction and keeps her swaddled more) and put her back down. She proceeded to get up another 2 freaking times last night. She stayed wrapped up after that though.

I haven't gotten the thing my friend was going to ship to me. I really want to try her in that Sleep Suit because when she tries to sleep laying down without being swaddled, it's a total fail.

July 22nd, 2013, 02:48 PM
What's the sleep suit like? I haven't seen that one...

July 22nd, 2013, 06:39 PM
I hadnt' heard of it either. Baby Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit

It would be better for a fall or winter baby, but if we get it soon, we'll try it. Dingleberry went down easily at 9 tonight and we have been watching her wiggle on and off for the last 10 minutes. (That would be 30 min later.) We really need her to learn to sleep laying down with her arms out! (She'll nap for long periods in the swing, but that's a little more nestled.)

July 24th, 2013, 06:46 AM
So I checked out the Magic Sleepsuit...interesting! I hadn't seen that one. So is it just that it's heavier/cozier, and that helps them sleep better by (hopefully) preventing some of the startling/waking? I'll be interested to hear how it works for Ingrid!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search