Any other babies that hate the car?

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Purple_cat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My baby hates the car. She kind of hates the car seat too and will start crying as soon as I put her in it. She is usually okay for the first 5 minutes or so in the car but then she will cry hard the whole rest of the trip.

It is starting to really impact our lives. I try to avoid taking her out in the car now and my older daughter is going to our 2nd choice for summer camp just because it is closer.

Does anyone else have a baby like this? Taking her in the car is pretty miserable for everyone involved. Any tricks that have helped you?

I thought that car rides were supposed to make babies sleepy!!
July 25th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
Yup we have a car hater as well. I always heard babies just fall asleep in the car. Yeah not L. He screams and screams. I put some lavender on his pulse points and that helps some so we get about 5 minutes away before the screaming starts. I just recently, as horrible as it may be to some, started letting him watch the iPad in the car. We play doodlebops or backyardigans. It's been helping A LOT!!
I pretty much can't leave the house unless DH or someone else is with us.

July 25th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would totally let her watch something in the car if it stopped the crying. The trouble is that I can't sit back there with her because I am driving.
HalfDozen likes this.
July 25th, 2013, 03:03 PM
We got a case for our iPad that attaches to the head rest. Works great. I end up pulling over multiple times wherever we are going if DH isn't with us. I can make it 10-15 minutes away with the iPad on usually though.

Last edited by Pretty Crispy; July 25th, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
July 26th, 2013, 10:17 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not really. If she's hungry, she'll cry in the car. And sometimes when we stop at a stop light or something, she'll get upset. But generally she's ok in the car.

I'm sorry that it's a struggle for you guys! I hope it gets better.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

July 26th, 2013, 10:35 AM
He's such a great baby otherwise. I feel horrible that he hates the car so much. I wonder if he gets motion sick like me. I'm so sensitive I HAVE to drive and even sometimes still get car sick driving.
We don't leave the house much. Even this Sunday we have a bridal shower for my SIL to attend. My MIL is driving here and riding with us back to her own house just so we can attend because there's no way I would make the 35 minute trip with L alone.

July 27th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Veteran
I haven't been online in quite awhile. But Fiona hates the car also!! Everyone has been so shocked when I explain how she hates riding, but she's like what you are describing. I have to have someone ride back there with her for long trips. Her issue other than hating being strapped in, is that she gets bored and wants a change of scenery. The only things that buy me time are letting her wear shoes or socks that look like shoes. She gets distracted for a while looking at her feet. I have some old hand puppets for babies with rattles in them that I put on her feet sometimes too. Yesterday one of my boys had left a book in her carseat and while I was sitting back with her, I noticed she was straining to try and look at the book's cover. So I think I will try putting a book back there too.
July 29th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Atank03's Avatar Veteran
Yep ava hated it too for the longest time, she is doing a little better now but there for the first 2 months she would scream bloody murder so I would have to sit back there with her if dh was with us or just let her scream till we got where we were going and that was awefull!!
August 2nd, 2013, 02:16 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Xavier is perfectly content, but Katie has started hating the car. It actually started while I was still pregnant, and she would just cry or whine for no reason. It makes my usual 10-12 hour trips rather unbearable!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search