supplmenting question

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MaineBean
  • 2 Post By ThaiSpice

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Super Mommy
I started back at work three weeks ago. My supply has stayed the same but Baby A has drastically increased the amount she is eating. She went from three 5 ounce bottles during the work day to three 7 ounce bottles. Then she hit a growth spurt this week and has been waking me up in the middle of the night to eat so I havent been able to pump in the morning like I used to. Anyway, I was just counting my stash and I only have about 3-4 weeks left if she continues at this pace. That will put her at 5.5+ months when I run out.

Now for the question...

Should I start supplementing with formula then or should I start feeding her homemade baby food (peas, carrots, etc)? We had planned on waiting until 6 months for food but the dr said we could start at 4.

Also, I wish I had known how hard it was to keep pumping when I started. I had this huge oversupply so I didn't realize I would ever run out. I would have saved way more milk.
July 28th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Excited first time mommy!
Dylan is already eating applesauce and sweet potatoes, he loves it!! He will be 4 months on the 31st.
July 28th, 2013, 02:28 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If it were me, I'd just see how it plays out. Even if/when you start offering solids, she may not actually eat any at first, and it might not reduce the amount of milk she takes it right away, and you still might need to supplement. Also, though, after her growth spurt, she may go back to sleeping, allowing you to pump more again. It's hard to say. I had to start supplementing some days around maybe 8 months last time, depending on if I could pump enough for the next day or not. She did sort of decrease the amount of ounces she drank during the day, eventually, but I don't remember exactly when.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

July 29th, 2013, 05:07 AM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First, I want to mention that I know how hard it is to be nursing and pumping and working AND worrying about it all! Definately not an easy thing to do.

My opinion is that the solids will not replace any of the breastmilk or formula. The milk/formula will be the primary source of nutrition for the first year. The introduction of solids is more of a learning experience for them for a while, so you can't really bank on thinking that just because they're eating solids, they'll be drinking less milk. I'd say use your judgement for when she's really ready for solids. Adding or switching to formula plus introducing solids all at the same time might be hard on her tummy too, so that's something else to think about.

What's the reason you're no longer pumping in the morning because she's eating at night? That might be a good opprtunity to boost your supply to meet the demand. Instead of skipping it, pump if you can, even if you're not getting much at first.

July 29th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Super Mommy
when she eats at night I dont have a bunch of surplus in the morning. If I pump, I dont have enough for her for the day so she ends up nursing pretty much non-stop.
July 29th, 2013, 07:04 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no advice about how to go about supplementing, but wanted to lend support to the cause. Ingrid isn't a fan of sleeping at daycare so they often unfreeze a 4th bottle to help soothe her because she's cranky. She of course gladly takes it, and might actually be hungry, but that's because she didn't sleep through at least a little bit of a rumbly tummy!

At this rate, I'm going to be out of milk in no time because there is NO way I can meet that 4th bottle even with adding a 4th pumping regularly at work. And even when they give her the 4th bottle, she is still often hungry and does the 2 feedings at home in the evening as part of her routine, so I can't even try to pump off some extra if I had the time- which I dont' given how chaotic evenings already are.

Working and pumping sucks. I pumped and saved way earlier this time knowing that I'd need it, but my one not-even-close-to-full gift bag in the freezer is hardly a "stash." In reality it is no more than 2 full days worth of milk so we are completely reliant on me either directly feeding or pumping to not run out at any given time. If I get hit with one illness that I am either knocked out or on meds that can't mix with breastmilk, I'll be screwed.
HalfDozen likes this.

July 29th, 2013, 07:23 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBean View Post
Working and pumping sucks.
jen747 and HalfDozen like this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

August 2nd, 2013, 02:14 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I would also see how it plays out. I believe you have a nanny so you can't quite do what I had to resort to with my last one. When she was 3-4 months old, they were giving her 20 ounces a day at day care. Then they would be calling because she was throwing up. No ****, Sherlock! She doesn't eat that much!! They would use everything I put in the fridge and start going through the freezer stash. I had to start taking only what I wanted her eating during the day. Once it was gone, it was gone. Funny - she stopped spitting up all the time, and she was perfectly content. Some people think the answer to every little whimper is feeding them. We did end up having to supplement usually 1 bottle per day for quite a while until we could build a supply back up. Also, once she started solids she didn't go through nearly as much breastmilk.

This time, there are different people in the infant room, but I still try to take only what we need. My dilemma is that I plan on him running through 12 ounces a day. I usually only get time to pump twice during the day (which is consistent with his normal nursing schedule). On a typical work day, I only get 8 ounces. Yesterday was worse because I had some added stresses going on, and I've found that when I'm stressed, I can't get as much. I didn't pump at all while on vacation last week (stupid me!!). Anyhow, I'm down to 3 1/2 waffle boxes (that's what I use for storage) of milk, and I'm already panicking. I believe that's actually about 6-7 full days of milk, but I need to get back in the habit of pumping at least once a day when I'm home.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search