Weaning ...

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Purple_cat
  • 2 Post By ThaiSpice

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2013, 03:10 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
I posted this over on the FB page as well but wanted to get everyone's opinion ...

For those who have weaned before please give me your advice.
I went from 5 pumps a day to 4 pumps a day and my right boob barely produces anything so as of today I quit pumping that side. However, my left side is a monster and I usually can pump 5+ oz on that side when I am emptying it. Starting today, I continued to pump at my "regular" time but only the left side and I only allowed about 2oz out. I am hurting ... my boobs feel heavy.

Am I weaning too fast?

I am taking Motrin and wearing a bra with a tight tank top - but I am not "bound" ... I am considering sudafed but IDK if it's safe to take that and give me daughter the pumped milk while I wean?

Any tips/ideas?

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

August 1st, 2013, 07:13 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wait... why are you weaning? (I just dried up on my own because I didn't pump enough at like 6-7 months, so I didn't have to do anything.)

August 2nd, 2013, 03:12 AM
I'm weaning for personal reasons. I also have a huge stockpile of frozen BM ...

I'm engorged on the left side. I'm soaking thru nursing pads on that side as well. My right side is a little sore & slightly engorged but it's bearable. I've been letting milk drip out of the left side for a few min every time I change the pads but I haven't pumped since 530 last night and even then I only pumped the left and only allowed about an ounce ...

Just hoping the engorgement goes away soon ...

August 2nd, 2013, 05:27 AM
Excited first time mommy!
Have you considered asking your LO's doctor? I have no suggestions of my own as my milk supply never fully came in so it didn't have to dry up.
August 2nd, 2013, 09:48 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ah, personal reasons! Sounds very... personal!

Engorgement is the worst. It doesn't happen to me much, but I can't imagine dealing with it constantly. I wonder if Kellymom.com has any suggestions?

August 2nd, 2013, 02:37 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Well, are you trying to just cut back or wean completely? If you're weaning completely at this point, you ARE going to be sore. Most of my kids weaned gradually, but I still distinctly remember how it went with my first. She exclusively breastfed for over a year. She refused baby food, table food, cereal, really EVERYTHING. Knowing what I know now, I should have just let her go longer, but I was getting a lot of pressure from family to wean her. Anyhow, my parents agreed to keep her for a weekend to wean her cold-turkey. My boobs were SOOOO sore, and it lasted that whole weekend and several days into the next week. If you're only cutting back one pumping a day, I wouldn't think you should be that sore, but if you're trying to stop entirely, then you would be.

August 2nd, 2013, 03:59 PM
I was attempting to stop cold turkey but couldn't handle the pain so I'm back to pumping and going to slowly wean myself off .

August 2nd, 2013, 04:21 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck! Hope you can find the best way to go about it. You've done such a great job--exclusively pumping is hard!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

August 2nd, 2013, 08:29 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have experience pumping but I do have experience weaning from the breast. When my older daughter was weaning we would drop one feeding a day. Then she could nurse as much as she wanted at the other times.

So, I don't know if this will transfer, but maybe cut out one pumping session entirely at a time and keep pumping the other times?

Or it sounds like you are trying to make the process faster and I have heard people have good success with cabbage leaves on your breasts/ in your bra. Have you tried that?

Or can you pump just when you are sore (enough to relieve the pressure?)

You have probably thought of all those things but I thought I would just toss them out there. I hope that you start feeling relief soon, feeling engorged is not fun!
Missa_Mae likes this.
August 3rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
Karilynn6's Avatar Proud first time Mommy!
Cold cabbage leaves are supposed to help. I bought the "Booby Tubes" off Amazon and they really helped with the engorgement when my milk came in. You might want to try something like that.
August 3rd, 2013, 06:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Popping in from the May PR!
I am EP'ing right now, and I did for my first daughter as well (I put my second on formula at 5 weeks because I was too overwhelmed to EP for her for some reason). Anyway, you have to wean slowly if you can. Instead of cutting out pumps completely, start by cutting time off pumps. So if you pump for 15 min, start pumping for 12 min for a few days, then 10 min for a few days. Gradually move pumps closer to each other, then when you do drop a pump, cut time off the remaining pumps....but only a few min, don't cut out 10 min at a time. It takes a while to wean off the pump, but doing it slowly is SO worth it because you avoid mastitis (which I just had, and it's AWFUL) and clogged ducts.

I EP'd for 7 months for my first and made I think something like 65 ounces a day, so I had to wean SLOW. This time, I'm aiming to pump for 6 months, but I might go to 9 months. I can't WAIT to be done. I loathe pumping.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
August 3rd, 2013, 08:28 PM
On Thurs I attempted to go cold turkey & was so engorged & in pain I had to pump on Fri. However I only pumped 3x on Fri and today I am barely making milk ... no engorgement, barely feel a letdown ... I'm surprised one day of no pumping really ceased my milk production. I'm def not in pain anymore & if this keeps up then I can stop a lot sooner than I thought.

August 4th, 2013, 06:42 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad you're not in pain anymore!
MsRK and Missa_Mae like this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

August 4th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiSpice View Post
Glad you're not in pain anymore!
Me too!

Only pumped twice yesterday ... woke up slightly engorged but after pumping 2oz it's much better ...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search