how much

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2013, 06:28 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
Who ever bottle feeds ( breast milk or formula) how much are your LOs eating

September 21st, 2013, 07:09 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Usually 4-5 oz breastmilk, though sometimes only 2. That's at daycare. At home she still breastfeeds.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

September 21st, 2013, 09:52 AM
Super Mommy
I bf before I leave for work and she probably gets 5 ounces. Then the nanny feeds her usually 2-3 times and it totals 12- 15 ounces. Then she nurses 1-2 times when I get home.
September 21st, 2013, 10:41 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ingrid's bottles are on average 3 oz, with some being 2.5 up to 4 oz. I remember when James had formula at this age, the quantity went up by now, but Ingrid is content usually with whatever I pump, which is less.

September 21st, 2013, 11:43 AM
Excited first time mommy!
I bottle feed Nutramigen and he seems to take more of that than he did the other formulas we tried, maybe because it works better for him. He will usually take a 6 oz bottle at a time. We're also using solids, so if he eats more solids at night he will take a 4 oz. It isn't exactly consistent.
September 21st, 2013, 12:35 PM
Hmm ok so maybe that's why Lilly is spitting up so much she is eating 6 oz every 3-4 hours maybe i was mistaking her fussyness before for hunger...

September 21st, 2013, 01:41 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's possible, although I do think with formula, the amount does increase over time, whereas with breast milk, they usually stay fairly consistent (volume doesn't necessarily increase much over time).

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

September 21st, 2013, 03:22 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Tessa was getting 5oz every 2-3 hours but was spitting up a ton & the Ped said we were over feeding so we cut back & now she's taking 4oz every 3-4 hours and barely spits up anymore
Cortney6983 likes this.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

September 21st, 2013, 04:11 PM
ashley22pa's Avatar April Mommy
Cole gets 4 oz every 2- 2 1/2 hours. Occasionally I will give him a 6 oz one when I can tell he is especially hungry. We also started baby food which he usually gets twice a day.

Thank you to PrincessMom08 for my cute siggy!

September 21st, 2013, 06:08 PM
I am going to try her back on 4 oz and make 2 after if she is still hungry and from that I will give her another oz at a time slowly that way I can see if maybe we are giving her too much, I do know she has reflux (I forgot her medicine one day what a horrrribbbleee sight that was!)

September 21st, 2013, 06:19 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
He's usually eating 2-3 ounces at a time. I learned my lesson at day care with the lat one. I don't send more than 12 ounces a day for him (10 hours) because I know how often he eats at home. If I send more, they use it, even if it's in the freezer. He actually used to eat 4-5 at a time, but he has cut back. I think he just eats what he "needs" from the bottle because I don't think he's crazy about it.

September 22nd, 2013, 01:59 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When DH is feeding him pumped milk he drinks about 6oz every 3-3.5 hours. Sometimes a LITTLE less but mostly he will down 6oz without blinking.
September 22nd, 2013, 06:54 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
I would do 4oz then wait. Babies don't know they are full right away and she may very when the bottle is out of her mouth but if you distract her or some thing She may stop crying. Remember just because she is fussy doesn't always mean she is hungry

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

September 22nd, 2013, 07:21 AM
Veteran
Colton has 6oz about every 3-4 hours during the day. He also has baby food twice a day. Sometimes he stops at less than 6 oz but he usually polishes it off pretty quickly.

September 25th, 2013, 04:31 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Why don't breastfed babies increase their feedings by much? Does the milk change as they get older to accommodate what they need? Ryder's never had a bottle but he nurses for short times but still 3-4 hours apart. I wonder how much milk he's getting in the MAYBE 5 minutes of nursing. Just curious
September 25th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
Henry gets 3 ozs of boob juice. He will eat and eat though from the bottle and then nurse for comfort and vomit it all up. Therefore only 3 oz. Im never gone long so I know with the 3oz he's not starving and he's just fussy, not pissed off.
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
September 25th, 2013, 08:06 PM
So i realized that she was eating way to much because with formula you put the water then the formula... which makes it more so with the water at 6 oz the 3 scoops of formula would make it closer to 7 oz! So now she is eating only 5 oz and is not spitting up much at all!!!
nameetog likes this.

September 26th, 2013, 08:46 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberley View Post
Why don't breastfed babies increase their feedings by much? Does the milk change as they get older to accommodate what they need? Ryder's never had a bottle but he nurses for short times but still 3-4 hours apart. I wonder how much milk he's getting in the MAYBE 5 minutes of nursing. Just curious
I cant' remember where I read it, but I'm 99% sure the way breastmilk works is that it is just really efficient at providing the calories and fat baby needs in a smaller amount than formula. Thus BF'ed babies often don't need additional or larger feedings.

I found this article on KellyMom- my go to for nursing info. http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/
nameetog likes this.

September 28th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
^ yep. The way breastmilk works is your body knows how old baby is of course so you produce exactly what baby needs for that age. The milk changes accordingly

September 30th, 2013, 07:50 PM
shorty123's Avatar Veteran
maygan drinks 8 oz every 4-5 hrs and she sleeps all through the night so she drinks about 4-5 bottles a day and i often wonder where she puts it all because she surely isnt growing she is 14,5 and 23 inches and she is 7 months still wearing 0-3 month clothing
Cortney6983 likes this.

Haylee (June 2002)

Robert (Jan 2004)

Nicholas (Oct 2007)

Blake (Dec 2008)

Skylar (Nov 2010)

Cory (Dec 2011)

My little Premie Maygan
(March 4th 2013) Original due date April 25th

Our newest arrival Justyn (April 12th 2014)
7lbs 7oz born at 10:30am

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search